What beer are you drinking Winter '08/'09

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Couldn't find a beer thread, so I figured I'd get one going.

Visiting a friend in North Carolina and I decided to drag along some of my vintage ales that have been aging while I was away at school.

Consumed so far over the last couple days:

North Coast Old Stock 2007

J.W.Lees Harvest Ale 2000

J.W.Lees Harvest Ale 1998

J.W.Lees Harvest Ale 1997

Every one of them were still showing quite well, the J.W.Lees were are very much on the sherried side, but not at all tired/flat/flawed.

I have been working the arrogant bastard of late… just seems to be right :D

I passed up a 3L today of it... figured i woudl save the $75 for bourbon... but I was very tempted...

Trying different beers, including some of the old school. The all-malt Michelob released a year or two ago is settling into a good beer, it seems to have lost its citric and drying edge and has a good clean maltiness and well-integrated hop flavors. It still seems different than what I recall from the 1970's and 80's, but is an excellent product.

Gary

Anyone ever try Boston Beer's Utopias? I have not had the pleasure, though I have had their Triple Bock ... which was an interesting brew.

Currently at home I have some Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Bell's Cherry Stout

Been drinking Imperial Stout as winter has (sort of) set in. Samuel Smith, Great Divide Yeti (Oak Aged), and North Coast Old Rasputin. At the same time, I find myself retreating to old favorites from time to time, notably Samuel Adams, which has become a regular for me again.

Regards,

My younger brother brought me several micros from breweries around Leeds UK. The fave so far is Old Goat Strong Bitters at 8% by the Cropton Brewery. It is designed for bottle conditioning but this one tastes great now......malt and hops galore. The alcohol is barely noticeable. I'm also working my way thru the mixed case of Sam Adams seasonals.

Randy

My younger brother brought me several micros from breweries around Leeds UK. The fave so far is Old Goat Strong Bitters at 8% by the Cropton Brewery. It is designed for bottle conditioning but this one tastes great now......malt and hops galore. The alcohol is barely noticeable. I'm also working my way thru the mixed case of Sam Adams seasonals.

Randy

I'm on my second case of the Sam Adams Seasonal, too. The Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig Ale are quite good, plus you can't beat the labels this time of year. Very Festive. I just can't get into the Cranberry Lambic, though. Those, I'll have to give away.

The beer I have really been enjoying is the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock Limited Edition brew. Have gone through a couple of large bottles, and it is quite tasty on a chilly evening. But, at $14 for a 25.4 oz bottle, I really don't want to like it too much!

I just can't get into the Cranberry Lambic, though. Those, I'll have to give away.

The beer I have really been enjoying is the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock Limited Edition brew.

I'm with you on the Cranberry Lambic. Yuck.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate the Chocolate Bock.

Boston Beer has become somewhat mainstream (and therefore (perhaps) sneered at by some of the beer elite), but they really do make some excellent beers. It's sometimes difficult to find smaller brewers making quality lagers (easy to find lots of excellent ales), and medium to dark lagers are my preferred brew.

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't Boston Beer become the largest American owned brewing operation? (A-B is Belgian, Coors is Canadian?, Miller is South African, etc.) Not to hijack ... just curious if my thought is correct.

I have been enjoying 2 cases of Anderson Valley Brewing Companys Winter Solstice. It is one Wonderful Winter Ale and I think the Best one I have ever had because of the Great Maltiness of it. I had two at a party and it was so good that I spent the $45 a case to get it and boy have I enjoyed it. Its ABV is 6.9 and it is Highly Drinkable! So if you can get it give it a try it is Very Refreshing and the Flavor is so good that it tells you have another!

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

I just opened a bottle of the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale (by Unibroue [sp?]) 2007. Every year I buy three bottles. I drink one right away, one 6 mos. later and the last one when the next year's edition comes out.

I think the 2007 is quite good, certainly better than the 2006 was at this point, but the 2005 was better than either at 1 y/o. I think the 2007 may have actually been better at 6 mos. than it is now. Seemed richer. Or maybe I just liked it better in the summer!

I've been drinking a lot of beer lately.

Sam Adams Winter Lager (in my kegerator)

Stone Double Bastard

Sam Adams Winter Mixed pack (even the Cranberry Lambic!)

Saranac Winter Mixed pack

Sierra Nevada Celebration

Anchor Christmas

and finally assorted Belgium brews from St. Bernardus.

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't Boston Beer become the largest American owned brewing operation? (A-B is Belgian, Coors is Canadian?, Miller is South African, etc.) Not to hijack ... just curious if my thought is correct.

It depends on how one defines "brewing operation". Pabst sells more beer than Boston Beer Co., but all their beer is contract brewed -mostly by Miller, but The Lion in PA and City in Lacrosse (at least, they used to) brew some as well.

So, if you're not counting contract brewed totals, Yuengling (with 3 breweries operating now) sells more beer it brews itself than BBC (since City, High Falls and Miller still brew a lot of Sam Adams beers).

Boston bought and refurbished the old Schaefer brewery outside of Allentown, PA., so they'll probably pass Yuengling soon in the "self-brewed" column. That Schaefer plant once had a listed capacity of 5 million barrels. Both BBC and Yeungling are still under 2m bbl a year.

Of course, either way, I think it's kinda sad that the "largest" brewing company in the US that's US-owned has a total of around 1% of the market.

Also- For the record, tho' the "SAB" half of "SABMiller" started out as "South African Breweries", they are now headquartered in London.

Anyone ever try Boston Beer's Utopias? I have not had the pleasure, though I have had their Triple Bock ... which was an interesting brew.

Currently at home I have some Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Bell's Cherry Stout

I have last years. I figured since it was aged in a BT cask, I would give it a try. 25.2% alc... a real sipper. I gove littles samples out to every hard core beer drinker I know and the folks that brew (one in the same I guess :)).

I do not plan on buying another... to much $$$ for what it is worth to me... but I am glad I got to try it and share it...

Come down to Tucson and I will pour you a glass

I just opened a bottle of the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale (by Unibroue [sp?]) 2007. Every year I buy three bottles. I drink one right away, one 6 mos. later and the last one when the next year's edition comes out.

I think the 2007 is quite good, certainly better than the 2006 was at this point, but the 2005 was better than either at 1 y/o. I think the 2007 may have actually been better at 6 mos. than it is now. Seemed richer. Or maybe I just liked it better in the summer!

I got to try some of this last night for the first time, as there is no Trader Joes in my area. I was quite impressed with it.

Last night I dug into the back of the refrigerator and found one of the all-malt Michelob's. It was excellent.

Tim

Stone Smoked Porter with mushroom-barley soup on a day that's really too warm for such things. Out to do yard work soon; perhaps a PBR at that point.

Regards,

Tim

some belgian Stella Artois (a gift) in one of the two nice glasses that came with it! have shunned the belgian ales/beers for some time...i still prefer that sierra nevada, anchor steam, sam adams hoppiness, but this is a nice return. glad i followed my instincts and got that other big bottle of Angelique...might be my new years' pour (can't afford stagg...yet!)

Sweetwater Brewery "Festive Ale 2008". A tad less lip-smackin' as some of the previous years. But, terrific nonetheless.

went out to eat with my wife's family...had two good ole Sam Adams with a very nice filet mignon...my once a year enjoyment of medium-rare filet!

might jump into that Angelique, but might stick with what i am warming up to on this windy night of 60mph gusts...1792 RR....if only had some Stagg NOW!:rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.