What beer are you drinking Winter '08/'09

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Leif, your post made think about Swedish beer history, knowing that almost every European nation has a beer industry. A quick look on Wikipedia did not show me any familiar brands...I wonder if any is exported to the U.S.?

I would guess the most commonly found Swedish beer imported into the US is Carnegie Porter . (Probably not the typical Swede's beverage of choice.) The "Brewers Almanac" (put out by the Beer Institute) says the total of all Swedish beer brought into the US in 2006 was 208 barrels- or a little over 3000 cases.

Over the weekend I went to a beer tasting, the primary focus was '06/'07/'08 Abyss, then also had Double Simco, Hop Slam, an infected 3yr old barleywine, however it was a lactic acid infection (we're guessing lactobacillis) and it was actually quite good, but no longer a barleywine. And about 4 other beers I can't put my finger on.

That night a buddy and I rolled out for a bottle of Firestone Walker 12. Damn that's tastey stuff.

Tonight I am drinking Stegmaier Porter and enjoying it very much, it is a very dark black in color and a very flavorfull Porter of the old style! I always have some Porter around been drinking it since I was 17 yrs old and this one now made by the Loin has always been a favorite!

Dave Z

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Just a Budweiser. And, it's clean and crisp. Quenching. Nothing off-tasting. And, it does have taste aplenty. Hey, I like a good micro a lot of the time, but dangit, I also like Bud!

I had a Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat draft yesterday...Not bad, but I wouldn't want to drink fruit-flavored beer everyday.

Had an Abbot's ale last night, very creamy and easy drinking similar to Boddington's but with less bitterness. Also had some Old Speckled Hen. Good stuff, good change of pace from big Belgian and Belgian style ales I've been into lately.

Last evening I enjoyed the recently released Bell's Hop Slam... a very nice 10% for those who like hops. Very well balanced, great finish and enough complexity to keep you interested. Also had one of my favorites... Skull Splitter...

I would guess the most commonly found Swedish beer imported into the US is Carnegie Porter . (Probably not the typical Swede's beverage of choice.) The "Brewers Almanac" (put out by the Beer Institute) says the total of all Swedish beer brought into the US in 2006 was 208 barrels- or a little over 3000 cases.

Is that one available in US? Well it is an old classic in Sweden and by no means the best or as I see it the only drinkable beer from any full size brewery here in Sweden.

leif

Tonight its good old Gibbons with a shot of Eagle Rare!

Dave Z

-----------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------

Last Night I had Paulaner Hef Weis Good stuff a smooth Wheat beer with a great taste and not totally expensive it is a great Drink. I keep many kinds of beer at Home just to be able to drink what I am in the mood for!

Dave Z

===============================================

===============================================

The winter is so right for Double Bocks.

I'm diggin the Troegenator, a doppel from PA.

Righteous.

Malty yet balanced by a nice alchohol KICK!!

Sturdy cream colored head that hangs on for minutes.

Last night I was finishing up my Christmas beers, Sierra Nevada and Anchor, both very different but great in their own rights.

Today I swapped out Smuttynose Porter for Sierra Nevada ESB in the Kegerator, should be good.

Scotty Karate, a Scotch Ale by Dark Horse Brewing. This one is a keeper. I like it better than Dirty Bastard Ale brewed by Founders Brewing which is also good.

Unfortunately, it is only brewed on a limited schedule. Oh well, some things in life are worth waiting for its renewal.

Tonight I am just finishing my 3rd Pennbrook Amber Lager by Bucks County Brewing and it is a delightful Amber Lager just sitting here drinking it with some Eagle Rare 10 yr Bourbon great combo!

Dave Z

--------------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

-------------------------------------------------

Tonight I cracked a 200ml or WT 80 proof from 12/10/93 at 15:24 (the info was there) and it is good. I have had the current 80 proof and (sorry Ox) it tastes like ass.

This is deep, has some complexity and all of the great WT attributes. Its not the 101, but it is good juice. I would put this against most any 80-90 proffers today and I think the WT could give them a run for their money...

I think I will go clean out the rest of these... The guy wants to much for them, but O'well.... its good juice.... and still far cheeper that a comp today.

I have a couple of bottles of Asahi Stout in the fridge that I am planning on having later today. Michael Jackson, beer and whiskey writer, said that it was one of the best beers in the world. In the past it was very hard to come by as it was made in very limited quantities, one batch a year. Last spring it started to appear in Tokyu Supermarket chain so they must be making more now. Wonderful stuff. Ed

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout 2006 brewing. This is a great bottle to put away for a few years in a dark cool place.... mellows out, sweetness dampens down while complexity and finish improve greatly....

Absolutely diggin' on a Left Hand Rye Bock Lager. It's a 750 ml with a cool cork and one of those wire thingamagigs, like on a champagne bottle. It took a pair of pliers to get the cork out, and when I pulled it, it spewed like bubbly. Very, very malty, HUGE head, and silky smooth. Now, if I can just remember where I bought it, I'll go get another. :confused:

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA. 9% beer that is quite tasty. Picked up a 4 pack at a local liquor store yesturday while dusyt hunting. Good stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.