What beer are you drinking Winter '08/'09

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Maine Lobster Red Ale....and I know what you're thinking, but no crustaceans were harmed in the brewing of this beer. :grin:

A new shipment of Pliny must have just arrived, because I just downed the freshest bottle I've ever had: bottled 1/23/09. Almost, but not quite, as good as drinking it on tap at the Falling Rock.

A new shipment of Pliny must have just arrived, because I just downed the freshest bottle I've ever had: bottled 1/23/09. Almost, but not quite, as good as drinking it on tap at the Falling Rock.

Now I'm thirsty and jealous. No RR in Chicago yet. Craving a pliny...both younger and elder.

I just bought a six of Sierra Nevada Spring Beer. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Tim

I have it on tap at home, they call it ESB (Early Spring Beer) but it is in fact an ESB (Extra Special Bitter). I only tried one pint after I tapped it the other day so I cannot comment yet, I'll have a couple tonight and see!

I have it on tap at home, they call it ESB (Early Spring Beer) but it is in fact an ESB (Extra Special Bitter). I only tried one pint after I tapped it the other day so I cannot comment yet, I'll have a couple tonight and see!

I had one, last night. It is certainly very bitter. Too bitter for my taste. I will probably drink the other five, but it won't be easy. :(

Tim

I liked it too but did not love it. I'd like to pick up a bottle to compare to the tap. There was something about it that just didn't click with me. I've been drinking a lot of 'extreme' beers lately and that might be part of my problem.

I had an inspiration about the Sierra Nevada Early Spring Beer on the way home for work. I thought, with its very strong flavor, it might go better with food.

So, I made up a Southern concoction (maybe it is more widespread than I realize) called tuna fish salad. This is a can of tuna, drained, plus mayo, dill pickle relish, and some very hot red pepper relish. I had it with saltine crackers.

And, yes, the SN-ESB went very well with it.

Tim

Joe, you really need to come out and visit. Left Hand is within walking distance (well for someone in a little better shape than me anyway). Their tasting room is outstanding (if you can find a parking spot) and they usually have a couple of products on cask. I brought a Rye Bock Lager to KBF last year among other things local.

Another nice local is Oskar Blues Ten Fidy canned (yes canned) Imperial Stout. I took some to Randy's party in Houston and it appears that Mark liked it. I'll try to reserve some for the Sampler. The cans help it to travel well.

Tonight I plan on tasting the third leg of Avery's Demons of Ales trilogy, Mephistopheles (Stout). At 16.1% ABV I think it might be my only beer of the evening.... The other two, Samaels (English Strong Ale) and The Beast (Belgian Grand Cru) were also present poolside at the KBF along with the Rye Bock now that I think of it. This is not a series for the faint of heart as many brew stalwarts available that day found them too rich. I ended up drinking most of the remnants myself to keep them from going to waste.

Well, just finished a small taster glass of the Mephistopheles and my head is a bit foggy. BIG chocolate taste but it's so rich that it's hard to enjoy. I'm thinking of a beer vatting with something very light to try to bring out the flavors that are just so overwhelmed by the strength of the brew that I don't get much. I'm not sure if stout is the style of the beer or a description of who should try drinking it.

Visited a new pizza Joint in Leesburg, VA called Fireworks Pizza. They had a respectable beer menu so I went with a sampler while waiting for our brick oven pizza.

Booklyn IPA

Victory Golden Monkey

Flying Dog Seasonal

Clipper City

After sampling, I went with the Flying Dog.

Last night at poker night I took Eastside Brewery's Snake Chaser Irish Sytle Stout. And today a large bottle of Meantime London Porter. I will be running back to the store to pick up another one of these. I just love bottle conditioned beer. Both are excellant beers but the porter is in another league. Try some if you find it.

Another nice local is Oskar Blues Ten Fidy canned (yes canned) Imperial Stout. I took some to Randy's party in Houston and it appears that Mark liked it. I'll try to reserve some for the Sampler. The cans help it to travel well.

Is that a fact that you live clause to the Oscar Blouse brewery Dane? My all-time favourite beer Gordon’s bubble IPA does come from that brewery. Dale is one of the best “normal†strength IPA I ever tasted as well. And I do like that the beer comes in a can!

Leif

Joe, you really need to come out and visit. Left Hand is within walking distance (well for someone in a little better shape than me anyway). Their tasting room is outstanding (if you can find a parking spot) and they usually have a couple of products on cask. I brought a Rye Bock Lager to KBF last year among other things local.

Tonight I plan on tasting the third leg of Avery's Demons of Ales trilogy, Mephistopheles (Stout). At 16.1% ABV I think it might be my only beer of the evening.... The other two, Samaels (English Strong Ale) and The Beast (Belgian Grand Cru) were also present poolside at the KBF along with the Rye Bock now that I think of it. This is not a series for the faint of heart as many brew stalwarts available that day found them too rich. I ended up drinking most of the remnants myself to keep them from going to waste.

You're in beer Heaven, Dane. If I can ever find my way to Colorado, I'll take you up on Dane's Guided Tours of Brews. :D The Rye Bock Lager definitely is exceptional. I'm content now though, to sip on my last Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout. It's very good in it's own right.

BTW, are you going to make it to Sampler?

Yes Leif, I live about ten minute drive from Oskar Blues and rumor has it that they are going to open another tasting room/restaurant here in Longmont. The Gordon's is beyond excellent on tap at their pub in Lyons. Next trip to the US you'll have to come visit.

Tonight I am drinking Red Stripe Jamaican Lager and enjoying it very much!

Before it I had a bottle of Stegmaier Porter It to was very good!

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------

Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

--------------------------------------------------

On Monday I had a St. Bernardus Abt 12. Wow that was something, if you like Belgian beers, or beer in general, I suggest you try one.

If you are in the Louisville area you may want to stop by Keg Liquor in Clarksville for a tasting of some Sierra Nevada beers. More importantly, after the tasting they will be tapping a single keg of the Chico Estate Harvest at the New Albanian. I don't think it will last long. Not if I have anything to do with it, anyway.

that case of bud i bought for the super bowl....just opened the 19th bottle....5 to go.....i think i just need to take them out of the fridge and use them for making beer bread....one cold bud in the summer is nice. but this is really truly sorry beer. what was i thinking? trying to participate in consensus americana?

micro/small brew is the truly patriotic way to imbibe.....

i rectified this whole faux pas by getting a nice sampling of STONE brewery's pale ale varieties: ruination IPA, pale ale and the Double Bastard....also picked up the Thames Welsh ESB and a Coney Island Albino Python....may i be absolved for my corporate sins:bowdown:

The new offerings from Great Divide: Claymore Scotch Ale and Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout. The Claymore is quite tasty, but the Yeti's a madman. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking some up.

post-2858-14489815292508_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.