What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2009

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

GTS 2008 on crushed ice, satisfying.

Sounds wonderful.

Tonight I had some 4RSB (Curtis/Hightower), some candy cane infused HH BiB 6 y/o (white label), and, to stick it to the haters, some Old Forester 100 proof (pre-signature). Great stuff all around.

Old Forester 100 proof

I've seen a bunch of bottles of Bonded Old Forester in some stores in Delaware. I checked the site, and I presume they don't make it anymore? I'm not sure which of the 2 I tried. Any difference?

Man, and I thought I was gonna be all interesting cracking open my Old Forester Bonded from 1988. Seems Old Forester is the talk of the 'tubes tonight! loving the smell. is this a little cinammon I'm getting?

Isn't that the Parker's 50 or do you mean the Rutledge 40?

I'm sipping some of the Reid and Emerald Willetts, neat.

It tastes like the holidays.

I was sipping some of that last night. I figured that if I'm going to introduce that one to my mom, it needs to breathe a little bit. Stuff is absolutely incredible. I'm not sure how many bourbons I have had that have grown that complex as they have sat in the glass, developed little to no off notes and become more delicious. It's one of-a-kind stuff.

A bit of 40 Creek DB followed by a bit of Em's green wax Willet

:D

.........Mmm.............mmm........mmm......

I'm going for the gusto cuz it's Friday and I just got paid and I ain't thinking about the money that I ain't gonna save!!!

Wild Turkey Tradition 14yo, neat.

I'm going for the gusto cuz it's Friday and I just got paid and I ain't thinking about the money that I ain't gonna save!!!

Wild Turkey Tradition 14yo, neat.

Oh please expound on the flavors and nuances of this Turkey expression for which I will never partake. 'Cause I just realized there tain't not nairy a Turkey open on my bar. To circumvent this problem I just cracked the seals on a WTRB and WTRR101. Ahhhh that's better! Let's shoot some Turkeys tonight!!!

To circumvent this problem I just cracked the seals on ,........... and WTRR101.

Ya know if you take the original price into consideration that WTRR101 is a better value than the WT14yo.

Troyce stopped over for a run through the bunker, and a couple of cigars. Hit on several, but the true Star of the Show was the Yellowstone Mellow Mash 7 yr 91 Proof I picked up while dusty huntin' this week. Bottled circa 1982. In a word, fabulous. You always have those nights when a certain bourbon just gets in your wheelhouse, and this was one of those nights with this Yellowstone. I can't think of any current bourbon that is quite like this. Thick, rich, almost syrupy, and with almost a sherry-like underpinning. There are no "legs" to this bourbon. It "sheets" down the sides of the glass at such a slow pace that it would make a glacial flow look super-sonic in comparison. At times, I didn't think it was movng at all. Truly exquisite stuff.

Spending the evening with my Father-in-law..... weve passed through a few bottles.

First was a Handy vs. Reid and Emeralds Willett. The willett won hands down.

next we went to a WTKS bottled in 2004 and a WTRR 101. split decision. I picked the KS and he picked the RR.

next was the WLW 2008 vs the R&E Willett. we both had trouble picking a winner. The Willett was so thick and chewy. it was fantastic. the WLW was so big and bold and complete and nothing like thw willett. The were each excellent in their own regards.

next was the Scotch comp. Talisker distillers edition vs. Ardbeg ugendail. What a matchup !!!! The ardbeg proved to be too medicinal for me so I went Talisker, however, my counter-part went opposite.

we ended the evening with a pappy 15 and Pappy 20......They held up nicely !!!!

I believe the evening has nothing else to offer me.

signing off......

After one seriously crappy work week I hit the juice pretty good last night. I spent some time with 3 samples from BBQ+Matt. They were: 03 OWA, 95 OWA and SW Weller 12. Then I hit the Binny's Weller 12. All in all a very good night of wheaters.

I'm having a small 4R1B while decorating the Christmas tree.

It is from a gift pack I picked up in KY a couple weeks ago and I have to say it is the best "regular" bottle of 4R1B I think I've ever had.

Warehouse No: DS

Barrel No: 43-6G

Outstanding, fruity, floral and spicey.

Its been a rough couple of weeks for me since the feds took over the bank where I work due to declining finances. After learning yesterday that I will have a job for "the forseeable future" and that the FDIC reconsidered a payroll decision that cost me a two week paycheck (the last check before Christmas), I celebrated with some 07 Stagg and WLW at a family get together.

Both are damn good, but I am partial to the WLW.

Its been a rough couple of weeks for me since the feds took over the bank where I work due to declining finances. After learning yesterday that I will have a job for "the forseeable future" and that the FDIC reconsidered a payroll decision that cost me a two week paycheck (the last check before Christmas), I celebrated with some 07 Stagg and WLW at a family get together.

Both are damn good, but I am partial to the WLW.

I will toast to that as well... sorry to hear about the troubles Scott...

OGD 114 before dinner yesterday, vintage 21 rye with the coffee and Dickel 12 with the lime truffles for dessert. Everything tasted good but I think the old rye found the spot best yesterday.

Leif

My Bride is at church so now I can do some sneaky things, like wrap her Christmas presents and have a pour of 4R's 2009 Mariage.:grin:

I've been up since 4:30, it's time.

Troyce stopped over for a run through the bunker, and a couple of cigars. Hit on several, but the true Star of the Show was the Yellowstone Mellow Mash 7 yr 91 Proof I picked up while dusty huntin' this week. Bottled circa 1982. In a word, fabulous. You always have those nights when a certain bourbon just gets in your wheelhouse, and this was one of those nights with this Yellowstone. I can't think of any current bourbon that is quite like this. Thick, rich, almost syrupy, and with almost a sherry-like underpinning. There are no "legs" to this bourbon. It "sheets" down the sides of the glass at such a slow pace that it would make a glacial flow look super-sonic in comparison. At times, I didn't think it was movng at all. Truly exquisite stuff.

Joe, Don't know if you and Jimmy remember, or had some, but I brought a 79 bottle of Yellowstone to the gazebo during the KBF. You really hit the nail on the head with your description of this wonderful bourbon. Thick, rich, lush, syrupy/oily, etc... You also put into words what I have noticed about a couple of bourbons (but couldn't describe) as far as legs go. Almost no legs, just sheets down the glass, slower than a "barturtle" :lol: You made my mouth water with fond memories of this bourbon. :yum: Cheers to you and Jimmy! Joe

I actually got an early start today too, all things considered. :skep: I usually don't drink early, but made an exception today. I had the last pour of a bottle of Binny's Weller 12 in my coffee this morning. I had to make room in my cabinet for yesterdays purchases. :rolleyes: Mmmmm. :yum: Weller 12 and Millstone Chocolate Velvet coffee. Nice combo. Joe

I started a lil early today as well. Oscar was kind enough to bring a x-mas treat to me last week. Em & Reids 6 yo Willett. What a nice bourbon you guys purchased. Loads of spice...rye like, and lush vanilla molasses. Now I'm onto some WLW '09, with some dsp-16 OFitz BIB to end the day of football and house cleaning. Productive day.:grin:

Groovin' on some Party Source experimental wheated bourbon finished in a rye barrel while waiting for the Bengal game to start. Simply great juice.

Jay Erisman (from the Party Source) feels this pour could be replicated by vatting some Weller with Saz jr (paging Dr. Gillman...).

But to get the full, barrel strength / non-chill-filtered impact, one would probably have to experiment with WLW and THH...

Also making some Krupnik (Polish spiced vodka) for tonight. The neighbors are getting together for the annual children's holiday hay ride and the adults need something warm to ward off the chill.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!