What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2009

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Something that is pretty basic but I find pretty good....WT101, On special for 15.99 w/flask. How can ya beat that? My palate isn't as advanced as so many but I do find this pretty decent for the price.

Broke it open yet? Whaddaya think?

Nose: MINT! Tea, baseball glove, slight oak, spice: nutmeg, all spice, clove with slight hints of vanilla, pecan and orange peel.

Taste: Thin and Light, dry oak flavors, with rye and spice, peppery and sweet corn, vanilla and caramel.

Finish: Smooth, fast and brief finish with caramel, honey and peppermint and spice. Tasted like a spicy candy cane!

Good stuff! It wasn't harsh or bitter at all! It is a bit too thin, 'watery' almost, and simple. But, it's easy sippin' and smooth! Strong mint nose that reminds me of mint plants/leaves. Finishes a little too quick for me, but I like it. A touch 'medicinal' if you sip too much.

If this is what I can expect from bourbon, I can say good-bye to scotch and whiskey! Although I do like this one, I think I'd like to try something more complex and robust.

Well, there goes my bourbon virginity! I wont count the JBB, on account it was obviously a bad bottle.

I'm finishing off this bottle of Handy I was drinking from last night. An exelent choice given the bitterly cold winds.

Hey Sin, nice tasting notes on th BH....since you like the high rye profile, might I suggest a Four Roses bottling for your next purchase. My favorite would be the Single Barrel.

Old Fitz 12 yr BHC (thanks ACDetroit),

It is very different from anything I have had before. I like it but need more time with it. I could get used to this stuff.

Tonight it was a little Handy '09 after shoveling and a little Stagg '08 after dinner.

Old Fitz 12 yr BHC (thanks ACDetroit),

It is very different from anything I have had before. I like it but need more time with it. I could get used to this stuff.

The VSOF is one of my favorites! I find that these bottles get much better after they're open for a while -- although it's hard for me to resist diving in right away, I usually appreciate this more after it's been open for a couple of weeks.

Mint,Tea

Sin, I get black tea all through the BH straight into the finish -- nice tasting notes.

Bought some 1999 EWSB today, so I had to have a taste of it before heading off to bowling with FishnbowlJoe. Joe brought a few goodies, as he's been know to do, but I can't remember what they were. As always, they were very good. I think the last one was some old Weller, 101 maybe? The memory issues must be due to having too much beer with the bourbon. Went home early tonight due to the weather we've had in northern Illinois today and decided I needed something more before calling it a night. Decided on a pour of OFBB and am enjoying it immensely.

tonight has been WT 86.8 from the 70s, WT 8 yr from the 80s and a few barrel samples from Reid.... i have to say, the Redi Barreled HH/OBH BIBs took the cake... blew the others out of teh drink, the real McCoy... too much peanuts in the younger BPs...

I did have WT 101 from 1982 before dinner yesterday, Dickel 12 with the lime truffles for dessert and WTRR 101 late at night. Everything tasted good.

Leif

I'm finishing off this bottle of Handy I was drinking from last night. An exelent choice given the bitterly cold winds.

Hey Sin, nice tasting notes on th BH....since you like the high rye profile, might I suggest a Four Roses bottling for your next purchase. My favorite would be the Single Barrel.

Tanks! Not bad for a 'rookie,' huh?

I kind of feel embarrassed. That it took me this long to enjoy bourbon. Though, I did have a bit of a drinking problem, and stayed away from it, alcohol, out of fear. I've obviously conquered that fear, but I'm still not much of a drinker.

I hope Basil Hayden's keeps well, with age. I'm more of a 'sipper' than a 'drinker,' and this bottle is probably going to be with me for a while as I extend my bourbon experience. I still have scotch and rum to enjoy, too.

Sin, I get black tea all through the BH straight into the finish -- nice tasting notes.

Thanks! I enjoy scotch, so this isn't my first rodeo. :cool:

True Dat. Get yourself some 4R Single Barrel post-haste

I picked up a bottle of Four Roses Yellow and Single Barrel at the local store. Apparently FR is now available in MD!

Let us know what you think of them. The FRSB is one of my favorites and the Yellow Label is an inexpensive quality bourbon for everyday consumption.

http://www.ziulscores.com.edgesuite.net/akamai/vtc09/live_gb_fuel.html#

Been watching the Pipeline Masters contest in Hawaii all day. Now that night has fallen, bring on the bourbon!

Started the night with some Lot B. Such a fruity aroma and sweet maple'y flavor! I love it. A little bit light for me tonight though. I'm usually a 100+ proof guy. Very rarely do I purchase anything under, with exception to a few goodies, Lot B being at the top of that list most likely.

I needed something spicier. I've been drinking a lot of Handy lately, so I decided not to go the rye route, but the OGD114 route. It's got a lot of rye-ish characters. Spicy, a little minty. I'll stop there, we've spoken enough of this bottle lately...

It was like christmas here... bunch of WIlletts and a FR 40th showed up today.... about to taste the Willett for the first time since the barrel sample...

Just returned from a frigid Indy, and melting off the ice with an 07 Stagg and VOB BIB. Put a dent in the Marriott bar's Baker's last night, as well. :D

Nasty cold on its last leg so had a small pour of Rowans Creek on the hopes I could taste the bourbon. Almost there......

I did have the last out of my KG bottle from 1970 before dinner yesterday. It didn’t taste good at all and it wasn’t really clear ether. Come to think about it the bottle tasted at its best from the first pour and it has gotten less good as I have moved down. After dinner I had vintage 21 rye with the coffee and Rittenhouse 10 BIB late at night. The vintage did defiantly hit the spot best yesterday.

Leif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!