What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2009

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I was having a little hankerin' for Wild Turkey 101. The first pour was pretty much how I remembered it -- rye and char: classic bourbon profile. The next few pours really opened up for me, though -- some cinnamon and brown sugar with a plentiful, mild but long-lasting oak finish.

It was quite hitting the spot and I remembered why I like to call this the "Sweet Heat".

Willett, neat.

I got a Christmas present from the AZ bourbon freak that we lovingly call spun_cookie.

Later Edit: ->Also IN baddest bird "birdman1099" (almost forgot your props Dude.)

OK, so I pour me one without looking at the label and wowie-zowie I thought this was suppose to be a bourbon.

Big time rye taste that reminds me of 2008 Thomas H Handy.

So I look at the label and sure enough it is Kentucky Straight Bourbon.

If they used 51% corn then that is all they used, this stuff is killer.

Later into the second one I determined that this is truly a Christmas bourbon, it taste like someone dipped a candy cane into it.

Long lasting spicy/peppermint/rye taste that goes on forever.

So here's the stats;...

6 Years Old

126.9 Proof

Bottle No: 121 of 180

Barrel No: 797

Warehouse: G

Rick: South 7

Selected by: Reid and Emerald

Hey Joe AKA Lost Pollito, I'll drop some on you tomorrow morning.

Willett, neat.

I got a Christmas present from the AZ bourbon freak that we lovingly call spun_cookie.

Later Edit: ->Also IN baddest bird "birdman1099" (almost forgot your props Dude.)

OK, so I pour me one without looking at the label and wowie-zowie I thought this was suppose to be a bourbon.

Big time rye taste that reminds me of 2008 Thomas H Handy.

So I look at the label and sure enough it is Kentucky Straight Bourbon.

If they used 51% corn then that is all they used, this stuff is killer.

Later into the second one I determined that this is truly a Christmas bourbon, it taste like someone dipped a candy cane into it.

Long lasting spicy/peppermint/rye taste that goes on forever.

So here's the stats;...

6 Years Old

126.9 Proof

Bottle No: 121 of 180

Selected by: Reid and Emerald

Hey Joe AKA Lost Pollito, I'll drop some on you tomorrow morning.

What I find neat here is, this juice has so much in it that each review is different.

I was getting a bunch of Smoke, Chocolate and Brisket with other roaming flavors... I am looking at working this bottle tomorrow

....taste that reminds me of 2008 Thomas H Handy.

That was exactly what I told Emerald after my first glass. It "hits" me like a rye. Its crazy !!!!

Last glass I had smelled like a glass of Pecan Pie with some pumpkin spice.... I guess this stuff is "Holiday" juice !!!:grin:

What I find neat here is, this juice has so much in it that each review is different.

I was getting a bunch of Smoke, Chocolate and Brisket with other roaming flavors... I am looking at working this bottle tomorrow

This fella's mad jealous.

Anyway, I'm enjoying some ER 101 courtesy of Kevin, aka Kevin, aka Kevie-Kev, aka Waterbed Kev (I'll send anyone 50 ml of Larue if you get that reference).

What great stuff! This is definately one I would get a case or two of if I had a time machine. Luvin.it.

Anyway, I'm enjoying some ER 101 courtesy of Kevin, aka Kevin, aka Kevie-Kev, aka Waterbed Kev (I'll send anyone 50 ml of Larue if you get that reference).

I'm probably off course but Monty Python, Wanda Fish, Cleese and Idle come to mind.

This fella's mad jealous.

What great stuff! This is definately one I would get a case or two of if I had a time machine. Luvin.it.

Bouncing around the Bunker, tonight. But, nothing is particularly knocking my socks off, so I reached waaaayyyy back and pulled out my Mellow Corn BIB. Perfect! Mellow Corn is the ideal whiskey that fills in when the bourbon train jumps the track. It provides the oomph of a bourbon (particularly at 100 proof), but the thick, sweet, oily corn gently softens the blow. I certainly could not do this one every night, but as a change up it works very nicely.

OK - took the time to work through a good glass of this. Used a glass Glencairn:

6 Years Old

126.9 Proof

Bottle No: 145 of 180

Color:

The color every bourbon is jealous to have. Good dark amber like mahogany stained oak.

Legs:

Slow to form, but when they do the are thin and powerfully thick as they dominate the glass on the slow journey back to the pool at the bottom.

Nose:

Smoke, but not tobacco smoke. Savory back yard brisket smoked with Hickory and Oak. There is a hearty rye nose here like no other bourbon and dark chocolate. As this opens there is a sweetness that roles from the edges of the scent. As the nose softens over 5 min there is distinct nuts – pecans or even fresh pecan pie, but the smoke and oak are there for the long ride.

The longer you can let this sit in your Glencairn and build up the nose, the more you will be amazed. It brings an array of talent from the lumberyard, spice rack, and candy store. There are subtle touches of herbs and maybe wild flowers

Taste:

Some rye and then earth with a sweet mint touch that reminds me of fresh mint in the garden. The lumberyard oaks and smoke blends into the holiday spices with a touch of floral. The proof here will bite your tongue if you plan to long with this, so take it in small amounts so you can get the most of it.

Finish:

Deep smoke and rye that pulls in a nice all day brisket with spices galore. There is a lasting power to this bourbon and I do not mean the proof. It has the will to carry a finish for well over a minute. The oak and smoke come and go with hints of dark chocolate, mint.

Overall:

What a bourbon! For a 126.9 proof, it is not the alcohol that grabs you, it is the complexity of this young gun. Take of the training wheels, belly up to the barrel and go at it. Little sips are a must - anymore and this bourbon will overwhelm you with its depth and complexity.

finished off a bottle of 4R small batch when I got home from work.

had a nice glass of Bookers on the rocks with dinner at a local Italian restaurant w/ Mahi Mahi. feelin' good!

I'm at home listening to music and I've kept the Ritt Bib next to me.

It's solid, keeps falling in my glass and keeping me happy. It is friday after all and I don't have anything to do tmrw.

OK - took the time to work through a good glass of this. Used a glass Glencairn:

6 Years Old

126.9 Proof

Bottle No: 145 of 180

Color:

The color every bourbon is jealous to have. Good dark amber like mahogany stained oak.

Legs:

Slow to form, but when they do the are thin and powerfully thick as they dominate the glass on the slow journey back to the pool at the bottom.

Nose:

Smoke, but not tobacco smoke. Savory back yard brisket smoked with Hickory and Oak. There is a hearty rye nose here like no other bourbon and dark chocolate. As this opens there is a sweetness that roles from the edges of the scent. As the nose softens over 5 min there is distinct nuts – pecans or even fresh pecan pie, but the smoke and oak are there for the long ride.

The longer you can let this sit in your Glencairn and build up the nose, the more you will be amazed. It brings an array of talent from the lumberyard, spice rack, and candy store. There are subtle touches of herbs and maybe wild flowers

Taste:

Some rye and then earth with a sweet mint touch that reminds me of fresh mint in the garden. The lumberyard oaks and smoke blends into the holiday spices with a touch of floral. The proof here will bite your tongue if you plan to long with this, so take it in small amounts so you can get the most of it.

Finish:

Deep smoke and rye that pulls in a nice all day brisket with spices galore. There is a lasting power to this bourbon and I do not mean the proof. It has the will to carry a finish for well over a minute. The oak and smoke come and go with hints of dark chocolate, mint.

Overall:

What a bourbon! For a 126.9 proof, it is not the alcohol that grabs you, it is the complexity of this young gun. Take of the training wheels, belly up to the barrel and go at it. Little sips are a must - anymore and this bourbon will overwhelm you with its depth and complexity.

Great write up Em...

I certainly can't disagree with anything you've said here...glad that I have 1/90th of this special juice bunkered! :D

I did have Dickel CH and 8 before going out to eat “Christmas table†on a restaurant yesterday. I am amazed how good the CH are despite being only 3 years and 80 proof.

Leif

Great write up Em...

I certainly can't disagree with anything you've said here...glad that I have 1/90th of this special juice bunkered! :D

Can you give this a name?

Sure... Willett - Reid and Emerald

I can't get over how deep and complex this stuff is for only 6 years in the barrel. And for a higher proof bourbon I think it is amazingly smooth.

JPS 17 gettin close to the end and a bit of 4R Mariage 2009....

Tailgating in preparation for the ol' alma mater, "THE Montana Grizzlies"

Will celebrate with Mr. Stagg after they crush Appalachian St.

Go Griz

Good evening, all! I've been away for many a moon, but hope you don't mind me ambling by.

I started out tonight with a dram of Berheim wheat, but now I'm digging some Bruichladdich 12 single malt. The recent phenomenon in the scotch world has been the double-barreling in sherry or port or rum casks, imparting a veneer of artificial sweetness. But you just can't beat a solid single malt that's just been put in good bourbon barrels and left to age. Bruichladdich experiments with a dozen gimmick releases a year, and maybe this one is too, but their 12 yo "Second Edition" is superb, a maltfest with no distractions.

It is a dead ringer for another favorite of mine, the Balvenie 15 yo Single Barrel, which is just left in the barrel, taste-profiled without blending, and offered up for the public betterment.

After all the talk of Willett 6yo, the 6yo HH BIB caught my eye at the store tonight. Pretty good stuff for ten bucks. In particular, I like the minty-fresh finish. I wonder if this is Willett's cousin/sibling?

A small pour of the East Bay Study Group's Private Selection Bottling of Four Roses Barrel Strength. OBSK. 120.8 proof. The truly amazing thing that I keep noticing about this whiskey is it's nose. You pour it, and you almost immediately can smell it from a couple of feet away. It absolutely blossoms. Unlike any other Barrel Strength Four Roses I've had.

Well... Erich made it over tonigth... pictures later... and we hit a few:

OldFitz BIB 80s

WTRR101

WLW 2007

Old Crow

WT 8yr 1991

Bev Mo Willett 25 yr (chocolate Monster)

Binny's Willett 27 yr

Reid & Emerald Willett 6 yr

Old Fitz 1977 7 yr 80 proof

VVOF 12 yrBIB

VWFR Rye I

PVW 23 yr

OGD BIB 1983

OGD BIB 1977

OGD 114 1981

Old Taylor 86 1983

WTKS 2003

WT 12 yr CGF 1983

Hirsch Gold Foil

Parker Heritage 126 proof

Pyrat Rum Cask 23 Old Version

RHFs Julio's Version 3

and a few more I am sure...

Thank you Erich and co for the great evening....

Well... Erich made it over tonigth... pictures later... and we hit a few:

OldFitz BIB 80s

WTRR101

WLW 2007

Old Crow

WT 8yr 1991

Bev Mo Willett 25 yr (chocolate Monster)

Binny's Willett 27 yr

Reid & Emerald Willett 6 yr

Old Fitz 1977 7 yr 80 proof

VVOF 12 yrBIB

VWFR Rye I

PVW 23 yr

OGD BIB 1983

OGD BIB 1977

OGD 114 1981

Old Taylor 86 1983

WTKS 2003

WT 12 yr CGF 1983

Hirsch Gold Foil

Parker Heritage 126 proof

Pyrat Rum Cask 23 Old Version

RHFs Julio's Version 3

and a few more I am sure...

Thank you Erich and co for the great evening....

All of a sudden, I have bourbon envy. :lol:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!