BTAC is here!

mobourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Josh:

12 bottles of BTAC - sounds like the mother lode, given the 3 stores I went to all had but the one bottle. All 3 are big volume stores and carry alot of product, including most of the BT line. I suspect there may be some kick-backs going on because all 3 stores advertise State min prices and BTAC State min is $65.95. Interesting how the stores that are price gouging are getting the product and the stores adversting State min are not. Anybody else having the same problem MI is having?

Oscar - I'm with you - next road trip out of State on a bourbon run I'm in!!

TJ

yeah, there just doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the whole thing- astor spirits got 1 stagg that i saw. random liquor store in crown heights got 3.

That's absolute junk. A storeowner I know here told me that sometimes distributors do that- but is it Buffalo Trace that is to blame, or the distributor? Here, it would be a company like standard or glazier that made a statement like that after they got it from BT or HH or whoever the case would be.

Josh:

12 bottles of BTAC - sounds like the mother lode, given the 3 stores I went to all had but the one bottle. All 3 are big volume stores and carry alot of product, including most of the BT line. I suspect there may be some kick-backs going on because all 3 stores advertise State min prices and BTAC State min is $65.95. Interesting how the stores that are price gouging are getting the product and the stores adversting State min are not. Anybody else having the same problem MI is having?

Oscar - I'm with you - next road trip out of State on a bourbon run I'm in!!

TJ

A store near me that does not advertise minimum pricing but usually does has them marked $99.99 they have a case of each.

I'm doing on a short hunt after work.

Will

I got mine for about $69 here in Ann Arbor. A&L sent an email around yesterday announcing them for $79 and some change.

Craig

F them, I'm done with Buffalo Trace and their cow pasture taste profile line of crappy bourbons.

Also I'll never buy another bottle of spirits in MI.

Wow, Oscar the Grouch -- I would hate to get on your bad side, Brother! If there's anything I can do to help ease your pain, please let me know.

That's absolute junk. A storeowner I know here told me that sometimes distributors do that- but is it Buffalo Trace that is to blame, or the distributor? Here, it would be a company like standard or glazier that made a statement like that after they got it from BT or HH or whoever the case would be.

Good point, Erik. As much as I feel O's pain, I would have to pin the blame on the distributor or retailer, and not on BT. I think once it leaves BT's warehouse, final pricing and availability is out of their hands. It still Sucks, though.

Just take a deep breath O...

Wow, Oscar the Grouch -- I would hate to get on your bad side, Brother!

They just take the fun out of everything.

KY got them in Sept and they got them in out west by mid-Oct.

MI is a state with a small town mentality and the LCC is run by hicks.

But they roll out the red carpet for every bottle of Canadian brown vodka that gets blended up there in the Great Bland North.

They just take the fun out of everything.

KY got them in Sept and they got them in out west by mid-Oct.

MI is a state with a small town mentality and the LCC is run by hicks.

But they roll out the red carpet for every bottle of Canadian brown vodka that gets blended up there in the Great Bland North.

It does sound like you guys are getting the screws put to ya up in the mitten -- I feel for ya, man. It IS supposed to be fun.

I just picked up two bottles of the Stagg here in Reno. Most likely the two of three in the only case this town will see. $72 per bottle and after tasting it I'm glad for it. This years is really good, I think. I compared it to the '02 I have open and they are different but similar. The '02 has less wood overtone and maybe more sour mash flavors, the '09 has some great flavors of maple, vanilla and oak and such balance... Both just make me go 'yummmm' I am hoping they get the Weller in. I felt (a little) bad as I think one of the employees kinda wanted that bottle... I told him I'd bring a sample back for him to try;-)

Cheers,

RW

I grabbed 3 bottles (a case) of WLW 2009 last night. They were $65.99 plus tax (AKA - State Min). The folks gouging will be sitting on BTAC for a little while I'm sure. Josh Red Wagon is always gouged on these bottles, I spoke to the owner and he says take it or leave it! So I left.

My Stagg and Handy a still resting in the store where I purchased them, I need to get South and get them!

Tony

Nice pick up Tony! Its not that Red Wagon is price gouging that pisses me off, because they are and the owner is a a-hole. Its that the stores that do sell at the State min price of $65.95 cannot seem to get any product while rip-off stores like Red Wagon seem to get plenty of it. The LC sets the price that the distributor must sell to the store owner, which is why I suspect that there is likely some type of kick-back or "pay-ola" going on.

TJ

Nice pick up Tony! Its not that Red Wagon is price gouging that pisses me off, because they are and the owner is a a-hole. Its that the stores that do sell at the State min price of $65.95 cannot seem to get any product while rip-off stores like Red Wagon seem to get plenty of it. The LC sets the price that the distributor must sell to the store owner, which is why I suspect that there is likely some type of kick-back or "pay-ola" going on.

TJ

Found the whole set of them on Saturday for $89.99 at bottle.

FAIL

I have heard a similar story in MA, that if you don't sell BT's other products, like the Vodka, then you don't get the bourbon. Don't know where that pressure originates though.

What does tweak me though is across all the stores in my state that I generally find the BTAC, there is a uniform 30% price increase this year.

:smiley_acbt:

I hope the folks at Sazerac and National Wine & Spirits or whoever distributes BT products in Michigan has been paying attention to this thread.

There are a LOT of really cheesed off bourbon drinkers in Michigan, and judging by this thread there is some ill-will building. I understand that BT has limited control over retail in control states like Michigan, but what's going on here is damaging the image of their brands among their most discerning and loyal customers.

I hope the folks at Sazerac and National Wine & Spirits or whoever distributes BT products in Michigan has been paying attention to this thread.

There are a LOT of really cheesed off bourbon drinkers in Michigan, and judging by this thread there is some ill-will building. I understand that BT has limited control over retail in control states like Michigan, but what's going on here is damaging the image of their brands among their most discerning and loyal customers.

Nice, fellas..."cheesed off"...."malarkey"....:D I'm not sure what the real story is, but this "It's not my fault, it's the (Distiller, Retailer, Distributor...)" excuses that they all are making sounds like a bunch of "balderdash". :) If it were me, I'd be madder than a wet hen.

The same thing has happened here in Rockford. Not with the BTAC, but with some items in general. Things here have been a little strange for quite a few months. While I wasn't given any real specifics, I pretty much got the same story from many of the local liquor store managers, and have been able to read between the lines. There were a couple of local distributors that were bought out by a couple of others. At least one of these distributors has tried to "persuade" some of the stores here into carrying some of their other products. In essence, it was "start carrying these products, or we could pull these other products from your shelves". To cut to the chase, the distributor seems to be, in a way, holding some of the liquor stores hostage. To make matters worse, said distributors territory also includes Chicago. Their main interest seems to be there, with most of the stores around here getting leftovers. The distributor takes care of its Chicago area stores first, then will fill orders for stores here if it has any product left over to do so. Then the stores have to wait until the distributor gets another shipment in, and so on, and so on....I can also forget about special ordering anything. Everett's in South Beloit is about the only exception. I'm not sure, but they may have had some minor difficulties too. Again I say that some of this might be conjecture on my part. Still, I can put 2 + 2 together. I will also say that things seem to have gotten a little better recently. Joe

OK all my MI Brothers and Sisters, I am in hot water from the Cow Pasture Grassy taste profile line of bourbons produced by our dear friends in Frankfort AKA Buffalo Trace.

I sent an email to my favorite retailer explainly that I am done with BT because of shenanigans by the MI BT rep, because every state in the lower 48 had the '09 BTAC from late Sept thru mid Oct except MI.

He emailed me back and said that he did not blame me and forwarded my email to said BT MI rep.

I got an email from the guy telling me I had many falsehoods in my email and he wants me to call him and/or meet with him face to face to explain to me how business is done in MI.

Of course I have ignored his request, I am a 32 year vet in the wholesale alcohol business and 8 years in the retail line prior to that so I know that, as they say, figures can lie and liars can figure.

Besides this is the same guy that insulted the Michigan Bourbon Hounds before a large audience.

At a BT tasting that was not a very well disguised sales pitch, this guy ran out of answers and looked over to our two tables and told the crowd that "the bourbon nerds over there might say something different", in respose to something he knew nothing about.

I know MI is a Canadien Brown Vodka state so I suppose BT is trying to write us off all together.

He emailed me back and said that he did not blame me and forwarded my email to said BT MI rep.

I got an email from the guy telling me I had many falsehoods in my email and he wants me to call him and/or meet with him face to face to explain to me how business is done in MI.

Yeah Oscar, you should meet up with Mr. Schorer and let him know what a tool shed he really is.

Of course I have ignored his request, I am a 32 year vet in the wholesale alcohol business and 8 years in the retail line prior to that so I know that, as they say, figures can lie and liars can figure.

AMEN To that Brother

Besides this is the same guy that insulted the Michigan Bourbon Hounds before a large audience.

At a BT tasting that was not a very well disguised sales pitch, this guy ran out of answers and looked over to our two tables and told the crowd that "the bourbon nerds over there might say something different", in respose to something he knew nothing about.

I know this may not matter but I believe his quote was "You might ask the bourbon geeks up front" I thought about making a comment but as stated earlier the TOOL SHED was not worth it, he was really pushing the Rain Vodka mixed drinks when we came in so that should say it all!!!

I know MI is a Canadien Brown Vodka state so I suppose BT is trying to write us off all together.

In the great words of RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!! "WE GOTTA TAKE THE POWER BACK!"

Tony

Thanks for the reminder Tony about the Rain push.

I should have more respect for America's premier vodka producer Buffalo Trace.

I am ashamed of myself.

Hey guys and gals,

The wholesale price in California is ($45.00 each) for all 5 BTAC.

I have seen prices from $59.99 to $89.99 for the BTAC.

I opened the Handy last night and WOW! If all ryes were this good I would have a bunch of them! This makes the WT Rye seem meek and boring.

Better pick up a backup or two!

I opened the Handy last night and WOW! If all ryes were this good I would have a bunch of them! This makes the WT Rye seem meek and boring.

Better pick up a backup or two!

Apparently no one in wichita got the 09 handy OR WLW, and hell if I know why.

If you want a Handy, let me know! There are two more bottles I am aware of, and I called every store in the phone book last week. I have a bottle of Pappy 15 coming in tomorrow and there is a chance this store will have some other BTAC.

If you want anything, give me a call!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.