BTAC is here!

mobourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, it took another $5 jump here, to $80 per bottle (before my discount, I mean:grin:), though all iterations ARE available to me locally.

To someone who remembers buying them -- when there were only 3, not 5! -- for under $40 per, it's pretty hard to pull that trigger anymore.

80 is nuts.

The pricing has to be way past the point of diminishing returns at that level unless you are in Europe.

That mey be the future of the BTAC, it all gets exported to take advantage of currency fluctuations.

You can thank the boys from Scotland, and e-bay for the price hikes. It is ...btac...fantastic bourbon, but only your voices and purchasing will keep prices reasonable. I always tell people...."Our most expensive scotch is $20'000.00, and our most expensive bourbon is $380.00. I drink bourbon." What's a justifiable price, is subjective on allot of accounts. I think the Scot's are way more out of line than Dear Old Kentucky. But...... and it's a big but, not sure where I'm going with this:grin: , but I think we're finding a ceiling to our expenditures? $70 for cask strength is reasonable, but that's about as far as I'll go. Mind you, I'm not a collector. I buy, and I drink the contents. The recent spat of 50 year old scotches, and there prices, has me thinking....who the hell is buying this, and why? I hope they're drinking it, but I doubt it. Most nights...give me some good old vob bib, on special nights I'm down with some some wlw '09 btac. There is a limit, and at some point, the money can ruin a good thing. My 2 cents.:grin:

So here's a question for us all. What do You think the price should be given the market, and quality? Then, where do You think the price will hit the ceiling? At what price will the btac become undesirable for you? I think somewhere around $100 is where the barrel proofers will end up. I also think that may be a bit higher than most of us will want to spend.

So here's a question for us all. What do You think the price should be given the market, and quality? Then, where do You think the price will hit the ceiling? At what price will the btac become undesirable for you? I think somewhere around $100 is where the barrel proofers will end up. I also think that may be a bit higher than most of us will want to spend.
For me Joe they've hit their ceiling...I'm having a hard time justifying spending $70 plus for the BTAC especially when you can get the FR Barrel Strength offerings for $55. I'm happy with a lot of the standard offerings that are in the $20-$30 range currently so I see myself buying less of the "premium" offerings.

My excitement for this year's BTAC fizzled out fast.

I only got 2 Larue's and 1 Stagg.

Price had something to do with it but the taste just didn't turn me on this year.

So instead of many multible bottles I'll probably get 1 Larue and 1 Stagg next year.

If I could walk into my local liquor store and buy one when I wanted it I would get more, but the annual "shortage" has also killed off my interest.

I don't know how much it costs to produce a bottle of BTAC, but as long as there are people willing to pay double retail or better on eBay what incentive do the producers have to level out their pricing? Surely distillers know what their products go for on that site. Why wouldn't they let the prices creep up? I would hope, though, that the population of people who buy and resell on eBay is much lower than people like us who buy and enjoy. (or just look at, in case that one guy is reading)

Edited to add: Yes, I have bought a few things off eBay, but never anything that was a current release.

Sam's is now a Binny's so if a former-Sam's is the convenient place for you to go, there's still a store there, but it's Binny's so if another Binny's is more convenient for you, there is no point in going to the ones that used to be Sam's.

I'm a bit disapointed to hear this - I liked visiting both, they were slightly different. I believe it was the Downers Grove Sams that was most convenient. It's now a Binnys?

Craig

I'm a bit disapointed to hear this - I liked visiting both, they were slightly different. I believe it was the Downers Grove Sams that was most convenient. It's now a Binnys?

Craig

Yes...all the Sam's locations are now Binny's...that' why I was saying to skip Sam's...just find the most convenient Binny's and go to that one...the South Loop location is going to have the best selection of bourbon of all of the stores...it' certainly helps having Brett there! :D

There were only two Sam's left open by the end. One was Marcy Street, in Chicago. Not sure which suburban store was the last one standing.

There were only two Sam's left open by the end. One was Marcy Street, in Chicago. Not sure which suburban store was the last one standing.

Downer's Grove is the other.

My excitement for this year's BTAC fizzled out fast.

I only got 2 Larue's and 1 Stagg.

Price had something to do with it but the taste just didn't turn me on this year.

So instead of many multible bottles I'll probably get 1 Larue and 1 Stagg next year.

If I could walk into my local liquor store and buy one when I wanted it I would get more, but the annual "shortage" has also killed off my interest.

Well Oscar, you will be happy to note that after 6+- weeks of waiting and searching, I finally was able to pick up 2 bottles of Stagg and one Handy, all at the State min price. No Weller yet but my guy said he is suppose to be getting another shipment in Mon-Tues, hopefully with Weller. Apparently it pays to bitch. Plan to open this weekend - Josh, going to be around?

TJ

Good for you TJ, we gotta hook up sometime.

Maybe Josh can coordinate a MI SB.com meet.

But anyway, if it were up to me, I'd discontinue the entire line of the BTAC and bring back the everyday available bottles of W L Weller Centennial, Eagle Rare 101 and Old Charter Proprieter's Reserve.

Handy is to young and Sazerac has been aired out in stainless beyond recognition.

Good for you TJ, we gotta hook up sometime.

Maybe Josh can coordinate a MI SB.com meet.

But anyway, if it were up to me, I'd discontinue the entire line of the BTAC and bring back the everyday available bottles of W L Weller Centennial, Eagle Rare 101 and Old Charter Proprieter's Reserve.

Handy is to young and Sazerac has been aired out in stainless beyond recognition.

HERE HERE! well, except maybe the Stagg.

HERE HERE! well, except maybe the Stagg.

The original Eagle Rare 101 is Stagg.

Also the current Eagle Rare SB and the one from the BTAC is a joke, different stuff.

The Frankfort bottling of ER101 certainly has a lot in common with GTS, but I think the Lousville bottling is more like some of the really, really good examples of ER1090 I've had. I wish BT would bring back ER101 too, but I don't see a reason for discontinuing most of the Antique collection.

Also the current Eagle Rare SB and the one from the BTAC is a joke, different stuff.

aha. now it snaps into place. I've never had the pleasure of the 101, from New Orleans or otherwise. Only iteration I've had is the SB/90 and thought it was eh. so yeah, HERE HERE!

Although I like the ER101 (Frankfort) just fine, I do not think it holds a candle to the Stagg . . . I agree that the ER10/90 is pretty bogus, but many love it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.