Four Roses 10 Recipes

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Are those the ones that are still on the shelf? Might have to grab one.

My local had to pull the OBSQ out of the back. And now that I think about it the 10 yr "Q's" were OESQ. The OBSQ I got today was 11 yrs 1 mo. Both are worth the $ IMO.

yep just got one today. Same barrel but my "3D" looks more like "3P" bet it's the same though.

It is quite possible I had a sample or two before I wrote the number down. :lol:

I agree with you. This is an awesome barrel! I might have to search out another bottle before they totally disappear.

I grabbed one today. OBSQ 60.6% JE 50-3D. Mine says 10 years 3 months on it though. :skep:

I grabbed one today. OBSQ 60.6% JE 50-3D. Mine says 10 years 3 months on it though. :skep:

Well that is a strange one.

Different barrels. You may have the same as Mike. I just fished mine out and it is clearly 11y/1mo at 60.7% Barrel JE 50-3P

I was able to be part of a 4R barrel pick yesterday. The store was sent 5 samples, one of the samples was OBSQ and I have never tried that one. I was looking forward to tasting it because of all the talk on here about it lately. But in the end we pick OESK and OBSK as the two barrels for the store. Very, very good barrels.

I was able to be part of a 4R barrel pick yesterday. The store was sent 5 samples, one of the samples was OBSQ and I have never tried that one. I was looking forward to tasting it because of all the talk on here about it lately. But in the end we pick OESK and OBSK as the two barrels for the store. Very, very good barrels.

I can tell you that I have never tasted a "K" that I didn't like. The nose on the OESK was phenomenal.

Time to update the chart for Spring 2015.

Letter Abbreviations

O-...............The 1st letter=Produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.

B/E-.............The 2nd letter=The Mashbill.

S-...............The 3rd letter=Straight Whiskey Distillation

V/K/O/Q/F-...The 4th letter=The Yeast Strain

Mashbills

B=60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley

E=75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley

Yeast Culture

V=Delicate Fruity Flavor

K=Slight Spice Character

O=Robust Fruitiness

Q=Floral Essence

F=Light Herbal Essence

How the 10 recipes have been used

Four Roses Bourbon aka Yellow Label-All 10 recipes plus 4 at different ages for a total of 14 recipes.

Single Barrel-OBSV

2007 1B LE-OESO

2008 1B LE-OBSK

2009 1B LE-OESQ

2010 1B LE-OBSV

2011 1B LE-OBSQ

2012 1B LE-OESK

2013 1B LE-OBSK

2014 1B LE-OESF

2015 1B LE- R.I.P.

Small Batch-OBSK,OBSO, OESK, OESO

2008 Mariage-OBSV 13yo 5months, OESK 10yo 10months

2009 Mariage-OBSK 19yo & 10yo, OESO 10yo

2010 SmB LE-OBSV 15yo, OBSK 11yo, OESK 10yo

2011 SmB LE-OBSK 13yo, OESK 11yo, OESV 12yo, OESQ13yo

2012 SmB LE-OBSV 17yo & 11yo, OBSK 12yo, OESK 12yo

2013 SmB LE-OBSV 18yo, OBSK 13yo, OESK 13yo

2014 SmB LE-OBSK 9yo, OBSV 13yo, OESV 12yo, OBSF 11yo

Super Premium aka Platinum-OBSV, OESK

Fine Old Bourbon aka Black Label-OBSK, OESK

I've only had two recipes this year, OBSO and OESV, and so far, I think I like OESV more. They're both great, and really neither is a bad choice, but I prefer less rye in my bourbon, if I'm not drinking a straight rye. Honestly though, these are great for the price, and I don't think I'd regret my purchase, no matter what barrel it was.

Yesterday I participated in a barrel selection for Four Roses. It will be a barrel for the Tampa Bay Whiskey Society. The place we had it at was very nice and they had some high end stuff you usually don't see in Tampa. We had at least one Q barrel in the tasting, I was surprised because I thought they pulled that from the barrel program. I guess that might be for new ones, this one was 4 months in the making. We ended up picking a K, cant remember because it was my birthday and it was a long night of drinking.

I tried a 2013 SiB LE and that was amazing. I also tried my first old fashion and Manhattan, the OF was tasty but a little to much fruit and sweetness, the Manhattan was drinkable but not my thing.

Found a new bourbon bar and had a great time all around.

Gary

Yesterday I participated in a barrel selection for Four Roses. It will be a barrel for the Tampa Bay Whiskey Society. The place we had it at was very nice and they had some high end stuff you usually don't see in Tampa. We had at least one Q barrel in the tasting, I was surprised because I thought they pulled that from the barrel program. I guess that might be for new ones, this one was 4 months in the making. We ended up picking a K, cant remember because it was my birthday and it was a long night of drinking.

I tried a 2013 SiB LE and that was amazing. I also tried my first old fashion and Manhattan, the OF was tasty but a little to much fruit and sweetness, the Manhattan was drinkable but not my thing.

Found a new bourbon bar and had a great time all around.

Gary

I believe it's only the OESQ that isn't offered as a SB option at the moment. It will probably return at some point though.

I believe it's only the OESQ that isn't offered as a SB option at the moment. It will probably return at some point though.

When we did our barrel picks Monday the OESQ (I think, not sure about OBSQ) wasn't an option and the talk was it might be a year or two before more is offered for private barrel. In the queue for bottling was the final cask of OESQ for the time being that is intended for the gift shop. I think it is intended for sometime in late May. Mr. Rutledge was not there unfortunately so I didn't get to ask him about it.

The private barrel line for getting bottled was pretty long but I saw this barrel near the front of the line so I figured it would be OK to roll it to the back and move our barrels to the front in its place....

post-8493-14489822289646_thumb.jpg

:grin:

I really like all the open barrel proofers i have from FR but my bottle of OESQ is smoking. I only have one and liquid disappears from it when i look at it wrong. Too bad these will be slim pickins in the not too distant.

When we did our barrel picks Monday the OESQ (I think, not sure about OBSQ) wasn't an option and the talk was it might be a year or two before more is offered for private barrel. In the queue for bottling was the final cask of OESQ for the time being that is intended for the gift shop. I think it is intended for sometime in late May. Mr. Rutledge was not there unfortunately so I didn't get to ask him about it.

The private barrel line for getting bottled was pretty long but I saw this barrel near the front of the line so I figured it would be OK to roll it to the back and move our barrels to the front in its place....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20754[/ATTACH]

:grin:

Nice work Bruce! Those boys won't miss it! :slappin:

just popped my cherry with a standard single barrel four roses. this stuff is amazing!!!! i can see why there is such a strong following for this brand.

next stop, privateselectionville.....

Our store conducted a private barrel selection the last week in April at Coxs Creek. Nine barrels were rolled out (well, they were already waiting for us), one of each recipe except OESQ. Youngest barrels were a OBSK (9 yrs 6 m) and OESK (9 yrs 7 m), so maybe demand is hitting the "K" yeast hard; oldest barrels were OBSF (11 yrs 2 m), OBSQ (11 yrs 2 m), and OESV (11 yrs 1 m). The remaining barrels were all over 10 years old.

We selected the OBSF. Really aromatic, spicy, warm and powerful whiskey. OESV was second with a warm menthol mint nose and a light, airy balanced palate. Weakest of the bunch was probably the OESK which smelled of kerosene and corn syrup and tasted oddly sweet. OBSK was pretty nice though: smelled of cedar and cigar box and tasted driest of the lot.

What I found a bit odd is that Four Roses doesn't proof the barrels before private selection (unlike the other distilleries we've selected from), meaning we didn't officially know the barrel proof during the tasting, although we could make an educated guess. Pretty sure our OBSF is over 120 proof. We'll find out in a few months.

When my open bottle collection is under control, this will be the first one on my shelve to be tried...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20784[/ATTACH]

According to Modern Thirst it is supposed to be a real nice pour...

http://modernthirst.com/2014/06/11/bourbon-review-four-roses-single-barrel-private-selection-oesf/

Jan

Where those Gift Shop bottles? I had seen a couple of other recipes posted various places but never could tell where they originated. I guessed Gift Shop but never confirmed. If it was, when did you purchase? Questions done, as you where. Thanks.

Where those Gift Shop bottles? I had seen a couple of other recipes posted various places but never could tell where they originated. I guessed Gift Shop but never confirmed. If it was, when did you purchase? Questions done, as you where. Thanks.

Morning Elmossle,

I bought this particular bottle at Liquor Barn in Lexington on April 16th this year. It was the very last one this particular store (off Harrodsburg Rd) had in their display case for about $60.

This was on my way back from work a couple of days later...just had to say hello (unfortunately gift shop was closed)...

post-12485-14489822329067_thumb.jpg

Jan

I'm getting close to having all 10 recipes now after a couple of purchases last weekend. Only missing the OESF. Come to think of it, that's the 2014 LE single barrel, isn't it? So in that sense I do have all 10, but not all are store select versions.

• 2 weeks later...
Hidden
I'm getting close to having all 10 recipes now after a couple of purchases last weekend. Only missing the OESF. Come to think of it, that's the 2014 LE single barrel, isn't it? So in that sense I do have all 10, but not all are store select versions.

There were 12 of them at LiquorBarn in Lexington (Hamburg Store)...OESF

post-12485-14489822357668_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Please feel free to tell me to re-post elsewhere if this is the wrong thread to be using for this question...

Recently picked up a bottle of 4R Private Barrel - selected by M.S. Walker, MA - label states OESQ 10 years 7 months - what's confusing is the text under that describing the mash bill ...

60% Corn

35% Rye

5% Malted Barley

Isn't the 35% Rye the "B" mashbill ?

Not a big deal - maybe just a label misprint / typo - but curious if anyone else has seen this... haven't opened it yet but still guesswork on whether I'd be able to make the distinction between "B" and "E"...I've heard of a few stores in MA receiving these "distributor selected" private barrel bottles...

Picked this up @ Julio's, Westborough, MA

Please feel free to tell me to re-post elsewhere if this is the wrong thread to be using for this question...

Recently picked up a bottle of 4R Private Barrel - selected by M.S. Walker, MA - label states OESQ 10 years 7 months - what's confusing is the text under that describing the mash bill ...

60% Corn

35% Rye

5% Malted Barley

Isn't the 35% Rye the "B" mashbill ?

Not a big deal - maybe just a label misprint / typo - but curious if anyone else has seen this... haven't opened it yet but still guesswork on whether I'd be able to make the distinction between "B" and "E"...I've heard of a few stores in MA receiving these "distributor selected" private barrel bottles...

Picked this up @ Julio's, Westborough, MA

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.