What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

matthew0715
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 whiskies I passed up because 1) I spent too much already, and 2) I needed to check back here to see if they are worth it.

Henry McKenna 10 year old BIB, $29. This just showed up here in 2 different stores. Now I see that as of a few years ago, some of you rated it the best product from Heaven Hill. This juice is from DSP-KY-31 (saying that on the label is part of the regs for Bonded) and barreled 3-31-99 (after the fire Chuck recently wrote about re: Evan Williams). Anyone tried the new stuff yet?

OWA 7/107, $22 - saw 2 bottles that still had the "7 summers old" label. I know it's now NAS, but I thought I read here that the last of the 7 year old was not very good. Need to do more research.

George Dickel Cascade Hollow, 3 years old, $19 - price seems kinda high for something that's a step below No.'s 8 & 12 (a different store has No. 12 for $20). Wasn't Dickel's distillery shut down for a few years? Is this just excess or sub-par stuff from when the distillery re-opened?

Ooops, found most of the info on Chuck's blog: http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2007/12/whats-really-going-on-with-george.html

Thanks for all your wonderful information.

-Matt

Henry McKenna 10 year old BIB, $29. This just showed up here in 2 different stores. Now I see that as of a few years ago, some of you rated it the best product from Heaven Hill. This juice is from DSP-KY-31 (saying that on the label is part of the regs for Bonded) and barreled 3-31-99 (after the fire Chuck recently wrote about re: Evan Williams). Anyone tried the new stuff yet?

I had a bought a bottle of this a while back. It is not a bad bourbon. Worth the money? I thought so. My bottle was barrel #494, barreled on 2/5/99

As for the label stating DSP-31 with a date after the fire at HH. That is because they were given a grace period and were able to use up the existing labels they had. The HM SB-BIB is not something they make a run of all the time. So they must have had a ton of labels and don't make runs very often if they are still using the old labels.

hope this helps and I love the avatar.

3 bottles of Sazerac 18 bottled in '06 - sitting lonely and dusty on a shelf. I have a few bottles of Saz BTAC and I'm saving pennies for something just now. So they escaped my clutches.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump. I just read the "Most you overpaid" thread so I thought I should mention some 2009 BTAC I saw this weekend. I cannot afford it (still unemployed) but as a public service, you can still get (in Central New Jersey):

ER17 - $69.99

Handy - $79.99

W.L. Weller - $89.99 (3 bottles on the shelf)

also, FYI, I saw A.H. Hirsch 16 (gold foil) a couple of weeks ago, for the first time in several years. The price: $224.99 (greed or just supply & demand?).

-Matt

3 bottles of Sazerac 18 bottled in '06 - sitting lonely and dusty on a shelf. I have a few bottles of Saz BTAC and I'm saving pennies for something just now. So they escaped my clutches.

Stephen - Good grief man....go to the blood bank, sell your old crap on Ebay....do something and go get at least one of those bottles. Shame on you!

Today I passed up a 1994 EWSB for the second time. I have the 1999 and 2000 and while they're OK, neither one is anything special. I did some research on SB after first noticing the '94 last week and found a number of people saying it was their favorite vintage, so it was tugging at me again.

Why did I leave it? $55 is why. The store won't budge on the price and I can't see paying this much for it.

Gary

Today I passed up a 1994 EWSB for the second time. I have the 1999 and 2000 and while they're OK, neither one is anything special. I did some research on SB after first noticing the '94 last week and found a number of people saying it was their favorite vintage, so it was tugging at me again.

Why did I leave it? $55 is why. The store won't budge on the price and I can't see paying this much for it.

Gary

Gary

I would'nt have walked I would have told the store owner that I wouldn't ever be back. That's not just just too much that's over double the price. I won't do business with people like that.

Saw the EarlyTimes 150th anniversry 375ml reease for the first time. Since it is KY whisky and not KSBW, I walked on.

I'll wait for the release of ET straight bourbon that is coming in the Fall.

Bump. I just read the "Most you overpaid" thread so I thought I should mention some 2009 BTAC I saw this weekend. I cannot afford it (still unemployed) but as a public service, you can still get (in Central New Jersey):

ER17 - $69.99

Handy - $79.99

W.L. Weller - $89.99 (3 bottles on the shelf)

also, FYI, I saw A.H. Hirsch 16 (gold foil) a couple of weeks ago, for the first time in several years. The price: $224.99 (greed or just supply & demand?).

-Matt

I would have jump all over the WLW, :). The prices you showed is a little higher but it's all gone over in this area.

For the AH Hirsch 16, that would be both since supply and demand results in higher prices because of the greed in people seeing a chance to profit more. At the same time, the store is also paying a great deal more from the distributors. It's a cascading of greed and profiting along the chain that results in higher prices to respond to an illusion of high demand only to the very low supply. It's $269 or so here.

• 2 weeks later...

In the winter version of this thread, Christian posted:

Wasn't today, but the other day I had to pass on entire rows of Black Maple Hill 11, 14 and 16 year olds. I would love to have them because I've drank bottles of all three and was never disappointed, but for the prices they wanted they'll continue to sit, likely for a few more years!

• 2 weeks later...

I was over there today, and somebody picked up all seven bottles of the 16yo, at the $94.95 price.

Looked at the new Sazerac-issued Caribou Crossing SB Canadian. Nice packaging but I let it be until I read more reviews from the folks here.

I passed up a couple BTAC ER from Fall 2001. Maybe if it was still at 2001 prices...

Passed up EWSB's from 1993 and 1994 (30 apiece). I also passed up two 750's of Evan Williams 7 year old (in boxes!) at 18.99 apiece. I might go back for those the next time I'm nearly to New Mexico.

I passed up a couple BTAC ER from Fall 2001. Maybe if it was still at 2001 prices...

Local or were you out of town?

• 3 weeks later...

Passed on 25 year presentation Van winkle, 23 year Van Winkle, Weller AC, but did not pass on 20 yr Family Reserve, Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year,

Eagle Rare 17 year, Van Winkle Lot B, and 12 year Weller. Those came home!

Russellc

Passed on a bunch in MN...06 WSR Liters for $15.99, WTRB 99 for $26.99, Bookers for $34.95, OGD 114 for $18.99, ER17 06, 07, 09 for $58.42, and a EWSB 1990 for $25.49...at least I wrote down where they are should I decide I want them at a later date!

Passed on a bunch in MN...06 WSR Liters for $15.99, WTRB 99 for $26.99, Bookers for $34.95, OGD 114 for $18.99, ER17 06, 07, 09 for $58.42, and a EWSB 1990 for $25.49...at least I wrote down where they are should I decide I want them at a later date!

Passed on 25 year presentation Van winkle, 23 year Van Winkle, Weller AC, but did not pass on 20 yr Family Reserve, Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year,

Russellc

Did you mean Weller BTAC? Because if so i'm tearin up over here.

Russellc

Gott ask... where did this happen?

Passed on 25 year presentation Van winkle

Not familiar with the 25yo, any chance you could score it for a fellow SB.com'er?

Bob have you lost your mind?

I definitely would not have left that Rare Breed . . . ouch . . . that one'll sting later.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!