What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

matthew0715
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

WTAS $85, Ritt 25 yrs $150, PH 129 $85, PH 27yr $160. I really want these but the price tag is too high. I might go back for the WTAS.

Those are good prices on the PHC.

I passed up PVW 20 for $85 and PVW 12 for $45. The PVW 23 was $200, but that's out of my range so I don't know if that counts as 'passing up.' I'm regretting not getting the 20, it was a weekend deal so it will be back to a little over $100 if I go back.

I've had a bottle of the PH 122.6 and it was fantastic (paid $90). However I've heard the PH 129 isn't quite up to snuff. Do you disagree?

I strongly disagree. People who say that they prefer the 122.6 over the 129 aren't saying that the 129 isn't up to snuff. I think most of them are saying that they find the 122.6 slightly more drinkable because it is smoother and "easier." It's like saying the 2007 WLW is better than the 2008. You're going to get a lot of disagreement, and no one is wrong- 07 is awesome for easy of consumption and 08 is awesome for the (perhaps) slightly more complex flavors but neither one is bad.

And that's not exactly it, either. I've tried both and wouldn't pick between the two but would sure as hell buy either for the price with no second thought.

I passed up a WTKS even though it was a reasonable $47 because when I picked the bottle up off the shelf, I saw a surprisingly large quantity of white sediment moving around at the bottom. Can someone explain this? I checked another thread here about floaties, but these were sinkers.

If the sediment was black like in Stagg, that would seem normal since it's unfiltered. But I know from another recent discussion here that all WT is filtered (except for the new RB). So is white sediment just naturally occurring minerals in the limestone water settling out? This happens to me at home if I let a large glass of tap water sit still for a few hours or overnight. Or is this a sign of possible cork taint or other cork problems?

I know, I should have written down all the barrel info on this. All I know is the top is NOT pewter, it's dark brown with the embossed turkey image.

I passed up a WTKS even though it was a reasonable $47 because when I picked the bottle up off the shelf, I saw a surprisingly large quantity of white sediment moving around at the bottom. Can someone explain this? I checked another thread here about floaties, but these were sinkers.

If the sediment was black like in Stagg, that would seem normal since it's unfiltered. But I know from another recent discussion here that all WT is filtered (except for the new RB). So is white sediment just naturally occurring minerals in the limestone water settling out? This happens to me at home if I let a large glass of tap water sit still for a few hours or overnight. Or is this a sign of possible cork taint or other cork problems?

I know, I should have written down all the barrel info on this. All I know is the top is NOT pewter, it's dark brown with the embossed turkey image.

You'll probably see that a lot in WTKS, it's something akin to sugar. I've seen it in older bottles (sitting 20+ years) in which some evap has occured. perhaps as the alcohol and water escape, some of the "sugars" are able to escape solution and sink to the bottom.

Whatever the case, I seem to see this often with WTKS even if there hasn't been noticeable evap, and I haven't really been disappointed with a bottle with white/clear sinkers. They did make me nervous at first too, though!

With sinkers, be concerned if it's brown... or it looks like super fine tan sediment (even finer than sand). those WTKS are probably good.

I strongly disagree. People who say that they prefer the 122.6 over the 129 aren't saying that the 129 isn't up to snuff. I think most of them are saying that they find the 122.6 slightly more drinkable because it is smoother and "easier." It's like saying the 2007 WLW is better than the 2008. You're going to get a lot of disagreement, and no one is wrong- 07 is awesome for easy of consumption and 08 is awesome for the (perhaps) slightly more complex flavors but neither one is bad.

And that's not exactly it, either. I've tried both and wouldn't pick between the two but would sure as hell buy either for the price with no second thought.

Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps on my next trip out there I'll get it!

I've got a few of the 127.4. And they go for $61 at a store I frequent. Are you saying I should go there and buy the rest? I will god damn it I will!!!

I haven't had the 127.4 but if it is close to the 122.6, I say hell yes!

i passed up an Old Overholt Rye. not really a big deal, but i havent had it before and i was curious. i let it go since it was only 8 bones, so i didnt figure i was missing much. plus the proprietor said that have it on hand all the time, so i figure i can go back and pick it up when im in the mood for a rye.

People who say that they prefer the 122.6 over the 129 aren't saying that the 129 isn't up to snuff. I think most of them are saying that they find the 122.6 slightly more drinkable because it is smoother and "easier." It's like saying the 2007 WLW is better than the 2008. You're going to get a lot of disagreement, and no one is wrong- 07 is awesome for easy of consumption and 08 is awesome for the (perhaps) slightly more complex flavors but neither one is bad.

If you add water to bring the proof to about 105 to all three I expect they would be very similar.

Anyone have firsthand experience?

61 for a 127.4?????? :bigeyes:

Yes Indeed! I've gone through 2.5 of them now, and I've got another one in the bunker. I think there's still 3 or 4 of them on the shelf at the store. You're making me want to grab them ASAP. One more peep and I will...I swear.

i passed on Old Forester today. its something ive been wanting to try but have never seen around here. but it was the 86 proof and only available in 1.75 L, and i tend to distrust bourbon that is sold in that quantity. does anyone know if that's a decent pour, or should i hold out and try to find the Signature label?

Had to pass on some Baby Saz rye as it was priced at the same low price as the Handy rye on the shelf next to it, 69.99. Also saw some NAS Old Weller Antique for 24.99 and passed on it too. Also saw Van Winkle Lot B for 47.99 too!

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

i was at the beach and there was a fancy liquor/wine store that had a bunch of drinks that i cannot find round these parts. unfortunately, i never expected to find these, hence, they werent in my bourbon budget for the weekend. so i had to pass on the PVW 15 year and the PVW thats a step below that one. also had to pass on Rock Hill Farms. i may have splurged on one of them, but my wife was with me and that just wouldnt have gone over well. so i had to settle for the Sazerac Rye, which tasted like cherry exlixir to me.

Gave up on an ebay auction of 1975-era Seagram's Benchmark. Was willing to go $55 which is already too high but when the bids went higher, I walked away without.

Actually a little relieved, since from what I've read, the stuff is nice but nothing to do backflips over. The $ will be put to better use on other bottles down the line.

the other day i saw a JB white label with firefighters on it. maybe from a specific fire department? do they have a label with some proceeds going to a fire dept or something?

I really wanted to buy a bottle of MM 46 to try but at $35 I couldn't pull the trigger especially when I can get a bottle of ORVW 10/107 for $32 or almost 2 bottles of OWA NAS for about the same price. :(

I really wanted to buy a bottle of MM 46 to try but at $35 I couldn't pull the trigger especially when I can get a bottle of ORVW 10/107 for $32 or almost 2 bottles of OWA NAS for about the same price. :(

Yeah, but if you looked at every new release of bourbon in that context how much would you miss out on? I have bad mouthed MM as much as anyone, never owned a bottle before but am buying the first bottle of 46 I see. Can't let comparison shopping rule your every move man.

Gave up on an ebay auction of 1975-era Seagram's Benchmark. Was willing to go $55 which is already too high but when the bids went higher, I walked away without.

Actually a little relieved, since from what I've read, the stuff is nice but nothing to do backflips over. The $ will be put to better use on other bottles down the line.

I'll be the standout and say I love the 70's era Benchmark. It's a very "velvety" bourbon (if that's even accurate) with a good flavor profile. I found 4 pint bottles from '78 and a 4/5 from '75 in DC a year or so ago.

Yeah, but if you looked at every new release of bourbon in that context how much would you miss out on? I have bad mouthed MM as much as anyone, never owned a bottle before but am buying the first bottle of 46 I see. Can't let comparison shopping rule your every move man.

Agreed, Christian. Bob. You've had both ORVW 10/107 and OWA NAS. You haven't had M46. I am sure we've all spent more than 35 bucks on bottles we were less than thrilled with. (cough, Vintage 17, cough) But as an enthusiast I think I would rather spend 35 bucks on something I haven't had than 32 bucks on something I have.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!