What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

matthew0715
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hidden
Nope...I think I've pretty much hit all of Minneapolis/St Paul area...don't think I'll be hunting there anymore. ;)

If you've hit all of the MSP area and we're still finding what we are you need hunting lessons!

Got snaked out on a gold-veined OWA 107 on ebay. The description was not all that descriptive and I was kinda hoping it would fly below the radar. Silly me...

Out of curiosity, what was the going price?

Got snaked out on a gold-veined OWA 107 on ebay. The description was not all that descriptive and I was kinda hoping it would fly below the radar. Silly me...

$102.50? (tho' that one was OW not OWA)

Huh? It looks like it's 7/107 just like Antique, even though that word is not on the label. When did they start calling it Old Weller Antique? (Meaning how old is that bottle?) Was that to distinguish it from the 7/90 (Special Reserve) and the 12/90? Both of those are (currently) called W.L.Weller, not Old Weller.

It was like the bottom-shelf dusty gods were tormenting me today. I saw an old handle of Early Times behind a counter, but when I squinted, it said "Kentucky Whiskey" not bourbon. Then I saw an old Dant Olde Bourbon with a battered label sitting by its lonesome on a back shelf. I took a look at it thru the bulletproof glass and noticed it said, "Bardstown, KY." Ya' just can't win for losin'. :banghead:

Nope...I think I've pretty much hit all of Minneapolis/St Paul area...don't think I'll be hunting there anymore. ;)

Need hunting lessons you do it appears.

Need hunting lessons you do it appears.

Some people have it, some people play clean up... judging by his recent finds, I'd say he falls in the first category.

Hidden

Finally had things break my way on ebay last night. WTAS for $56. Add $20 for shipping and subtract $27 in ebay bucks to bring it home for under $50.

Seems like WTAS is a "love it or hate it" type bottling, from what I've been able to glean from comments here and elsewhere but at this price, it's a risk well worth taking.

Is this supposed to be a phrase from Star Wars???:skep: By the way, is there a reason that you felt the need to repost that I supposedly need hunting lessons from a master jedi like you? The first message that you posted on 7/18/10 claiming this was enough...if you want to post shit just to stir the pot once is probably enough! In case you missed it the first time, I said I think I've hit pretty much all of...not all of Minneapolis/St Paul...I would think a master hunter like yourself should need to ask a rookie like me where he can find stuff then should he? Happy Hunting! :rolleyes:

Didn't even realize I phrased it that way at the time. :lol:

Not sure what I had posted on the 18th, but I'll take your word for it. I am definitely not a master hunter just been pretty lucky over the years and have nothing to complain about.

Ran across a fellow who had a case of these - He wouldn't even consider selling me one. He isn't associated with a store but according to his story he helped move "about 50" cases years ago and the case he is holding now was "shrinkage".

He did tell me he "chugged" half a bottle once and it wasn't very good whiskey.:rolleyes:

OF-1.pdf

OF-2.pdf

...the case he is holding now was "shrinkage".

It's okay - Ed Ball is no longer around to miss it.

He did tell me he "chugged" half a bottle once and it wasn't very good whiskey.:rolleyes:

A bad bourbon or a bad palate. I have a bottle of that open right now and it's superb.

No chance of getting a bottle I'm afraid -- a good story though.

Seems Ed Ball, a Florida Land Baron and scion of St Joe Paper Company had some sort of interest in Brown Forman that included a deed to 10 square feet of land that happened to be under a building at the BF distillery. They wanted to rebuild the building but couldn't proceed without Mr Ball's permission, which he wouldn't give. A representative from Brown Forman visited Mr Ball at Wakulla Springs and promised "more whiskey than you can drink in three lifetimes" if he would only give his written permission to begin the rebuilding back at the distillery. Mr Ball agreed and sometime later three rail cars full of the juice pictured arrived in Tallahassee. The cases were offloaded and stored somewhere in Tallahassee until some was moved down state. The rest is still here..... somewhere. The bottle pictured represent "shrinkage" from the last time they were moved. The fellow who showed it to me was one of the movers. Traditionally long term employees who retire from St Joe receive one of these bottles, but no one is excited about it because the whiskey has a reputation for not being very good. I put that down to the drinker not the juice. I would anticipate that it would be great tasting Bourbon and I'm bummed I couldn't get any - I would love to taste some.

BTW - the date on the bottom of the bottle is '65

BTW - the date on the bottom of the bottle is '65

• 2 weeks later...

Passed on the Old Rip 23 year Decanter set. It was nice to see one

(even from outside the locked "special stuff" room.) Priced at $350.,

I told my wife I'd rather have five bottles of Pappy 15 at $70. per

but not sure she thought that was a deal...

Passed on the Old Rip 23 year Decanter set. It was nice to see one

(even from outside the locked "special stuff" room.) Priced at $350.,

I told my wife I'd rather have five bottles of Pappy 15 at $70. per

but not sure she thought that was a deal...

Come on, you know you want one!

28jcwvp.jpg

I passed on a ORVW23 as well. Store owner wants $500 for it. Of course, I too want this set but not at that price.

Walked on by a bottle of (non-BHC) Weller Centennial at $50. I know it's a discontinued bottling that I used to enjoy, but I couldn't remember what I used to pay for it, and $50 seemed steep. There was also a (non-BHC) Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve for $45 that stayed behind, as well.

Passes on 2 Pappy 20s, Buffalo Trace Experimental, and Woodford Masters Collection Seasoned Oak. Purchased a Lot B because I've heard several good reviews on the forum.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!