What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Summer 2010

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

WTKS from 00, and then a pint benchmark. now, back to the pewter.

not a whole pint, mind you. from a pint bottle.

OFBIB next, I think...

On Greg's recommendation I grabbed a bottle of the MM 46... I must say it was very nice to sip on during a very warm and muggy evening. I never owned a bottle of MM and only drank it when out and the choices were limited. The 46 will however find a place on the bar. This is a whisky that should appeal to most anyone.... very well conceived and developed by MM.

A blend of bourbons, plus some Wiser's Legacy for a spearmint rye note, Portuguese absinthe, anisette, bitters. A Sazerac cocktail. The trick to this is to get the balance of anise, sweet and bitters right with the whiskey quite forward in the taste.

Gary

Well, I'd been hoarding some hard-to-find/replace whiskeys for guests -- which never seem to materialize after a mini-run of Gary G. and Oscar V. last summer -- and personal bouts of quality-seeking (which, oddly, also don't seem to materialize these days).

Anyway, times are (temporarily -- I don't get paid from the end of May till mid-August, and I deliberately shorted myself this summer in order to reduce some new-home debts accumulated last year) hard, financially, and I find it asinine to justify even cheap whiskey over utilities and groceries. So, I created what I call my 'Pan-American-Whiskey' earlier today with the leftover dregs. In results in a (average) c. 13.8yo/101.4-proof concoction which very nearly filled up my last 1.75L bottle purchased as EW Black. It includes:

• 400ml, Evan Williams, 15yo, 101 proof
  • 50ml, Parker’s Heritage, 12yo, 122.6 proof
  • 185ml, BTEC Twice-Barreled, 12yo, 90 proof
  • 200ml, WT J.Russell Tribute, 15yo, 101 proof
  • 100ml, Willett #1 rye (Doug P.), 22yo, 136.7 proof
  • 50ml, Old Hickory (1959), 8yo, 90 proof
  • 400ml, ORVW , 15yo, 107 proof
  • 170ml, BTEC Fire Pot, 10 yo, 90 proof
  • 175ml, BTEC French Oak, 10yo, 90 proof

Interestingly, it has a bit of 'old-wood' menthol to it, which isn't present in any of the whiskeys singly.

The part that will make y'all certain that I've gone slightly off my rocker -- but amuses the heck out of me!:grin: -- is that it will likely be drunk mostly with diet ginger ale or diet cola.:rolleyes::lol:

Thus, I have but two remaining, sealed bottles of bourbon: a Doug Phillips/Toddy's 4yo Willett barrel-proof, and a "Van Blankle", which I probably will ship back to Randy B. if I don't get to the Festival in Bardstown this year, which seems unlikely.

I haven't given up the bourbon ghost, as it were -- but life intercedes. I have other interests and loci for my money these days, and I've long since depleted any interesting whiskey 'finds' in my home territory, which I seldom travel outside currently.

In all likelihood, then, this post comprises a temporary, at least, adieu. I have nothing more to add.

I did have Dickel ch before outdoor grilling yesterday and WLW 2009 after. Both tasted excellent.

Leif

In all likelihood, then, this post comprises a temporary, at least, adieu. I have nothing more to add.

You are missng out on some good ones Tim.

You really should try to track down some of the Four Roses Barrel Strength's that Binny's picked out. Two of which are just about the best I have ever had.

The OBSK and the OESO recipes are true classics.

Last night was the Birdmans World Tour....

Started with a Hirsch 16, then had a Crown Royal Cask 16, then a Bushmills 400th, a MacCallan Cask strength, an Amrut Fusion, then a WLW 2009...... Forget 80 days, I completed mine in 2 hours !!!!:grin:

Last night I finished a bottle of '07 Handy - it was dandy. Damn fine juice.

WT 8 export and JDSS before outdoors grilling. More of the JD with the grilled bananas with vanilla ice-cream and chocolate souse for dessert and Handy 2009 just now. The highlight of the year in my small town started today with good weather as usual. Sweden’s biggest music festival: the Pease and love music festival.

Leif

Just emptied out my 2004 Dark Top WTKS to drink before dinner. So sad it's gone now but at least I know where my priorities lay in the future.

I'm making a run for some regulars after dinner, 4RsmB and Eagle Rare. I'm sure I'll be quality testing those later.

Enjoying some Fox in a Manhattan. I'm getting better and better at making these by the day. The more I make, the more I like them.

an Amrut Fusion
What's that?

I believe it's from India, where the Standard of Identity is, "If we can get it to taste like whiskey, it's whiskey."

A little embossed "Fox", and a touch of 1792. The "Fox" on cracked ice is a real winner on a hot evening in Georgia.

Just emptied out my 2004 Dark Top WTKS to drink before dinner. So sad it's gone now but at least I know where my priorities lay in the future.

I know where you can get another of those dark top WTKS. :cool:

To celebrate by 13th wedding anniversary, I'm prepping a pour of VWFRR.

You know what else happened 13 years ago tonight? Mike Tyson snacked on Evander Holyfield's ear. :grin:

Happy Anniversary Scott.

13 years, I'm looking at 4 in a couple months and I think I already forgot the date!

4RsmB on ice. So good.

While going through the "open bourbon" cabinet, I found a flask with a couple of ounces of something in it. Must be left over from a bowling night. Pretty sure it's OGD114.

Attending a conference in Orlando for my Franchise. Somehow the founders talked Earth, Wind and Fire to perform a private concert for our group. I know I'm dating myself, but it was an awesome show. Unfortunately, the only bourbon available at the bar at Hard Rock Live was JB or MM; I chose MM and enjoyed it nonetheless.

post-2047-14489816728238_thumb.jpg

I started out the evening with a spinach salad, grilled pork chops and grilled portabellas and some red wine the wife bought, Barefoot Pinot Noir, I think it was. I moved on to some NAS Weller Antique and now I'm drinking some ORVW 10/107..............I'm a little toasted.......

Last night I had the last generous pour from a shared bottle of Woodford Reserve Masters Collection 2009 edition. I didn't like this stuff when I first tried it, but managed to choke down a bit now and then til the end last night. Now I wish I had more. It aged wonderfully in the flask. It was a beautiful dark reddish brown, almost a syrupy pour, with a heavenly butterscotch-apple aroma. It tasted good too :grin:

Hot day in Virginia.... did a few EW BIB white labels and ginger to kick off. The EW BIB is one heck of a bargain for a decent bourbon... under $12 in Va. Finished the evening with a few light pours of Julio's Buffalo Trace 2009 selection.... good juice, very easy sipper

As my personal tradition I drink old bottles of WT101 during the Pease and love music festival here in my small town. WT 101 from 1988 before dinner, to the soft chocolate cake with chocolate souse and ice-cream for dessert and from the pocket bottle inside the festival area.

Leif

While going through the "open bourbon" cabinet, I found a flask with a couple of ounces of something in it. Must be left over from a bowling night. Pretty sure it's OGD114.

Earth, Wind and Fire to perform a private concert for our group.

it was an awesome show. .

Really enjoying some Blaton's that a buddy gave me before shipping out to Africa for the US Navy. No idea why he brought me bourbon, I"m usually the bourbon pusher. Much appreciated though.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!