What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Summer 2010

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight... FR1B, Bakers, M46, EC18, and now WRMC SOF. May have to revisit this new M46 later.

3 vintage minis tonight:

Cabin Still 90pr/5yr. 70 on the bottom of the bottle. Tax strip over cap. Distilled and bottled by Stitzel-Weller distillery, Louisville.

Stunning. Maple syrup/brown sugar on the nose, especially after sitting a while, Massive, mouth-filling sweetness on the palate but never out of balance or overpowering. Deep, rich and beautiful. Sad to see this one go.

Rebel Yell 86.8pr/NAS. 47 on the bottom of the bottle but it's not that old. No strip. Distilled and bottled in Louisville, Ky and made especially for the deep south.

Didn't care for this one so much. Muted nose and hot, thin palate. Sharp and brief on the way out. Without the pedigree and on its own terms, mediocre at best.

Old Grand-Dad 114 Barrel Proof. 114pr/NAS. 83 on the bottom of the bottle. Lot 1. Distilled at Old-Grand Distillery, Frankfort.

The nose is rye spiciness/sweetness and alcohol. Maybe some cocoa. Even at the higher proof, the heat on the tongue is more integrated than in the RY. Rich in deep, complex herbal flavors and smoother than it has a right to be. The finish goes on forever.

Don't believe I've ever tried a vatting before (well, outside of my stomach) so for the hell of it I mixed about a half ounce each of '09 Handy and ERSB. Not bad. The ER doesn't fully disappear and adds a little more wood to the Handy. The Handy obviously needs no improvement, not to my taste, anyway.

Cheers!

Did they do September? I always liked that song and a few other of theirs.

I thought they did a good job on The Beatles' Got To Get You Into My Life.

And I'm drinking OESO Binny's 4R's Barrel Strength, neat.

East Bay Study Groups FRSB Unfiltered and bottled at barrel proof

OESK and OBSK.

OBSK; Drier than the OESK more sweet and had some earthy spices to it.

OSEK; Sweet brown sugar, vanilla, soft wood (cedar like) forest spices

Bonded Beam from 1968.....:yum:

goooood stuff.

I'm kickin' it with some lville cent. about to hit the hay, I'm beat... it was a long day in the sun.

Dickel bs, Forester BIB 1984 and WT 101 1988 before eating a hot chilli with some invited friends yesterday. More 101 with the soft chocolate cake with ice cream for dessert. Than (a lot) more of the 101 from both my pocket bottles inside the festival area of the peace and love music festival . My friends are puzzled how I mannish to get the bourbon into the festival thru security check every time.

Leif

East Bay Study Groups FRSB Unfiltered and bottled at barrel proof

OESK and OBSK.

OBSK; Drier than the OESK more sweet and had some earthy spices to it.

OSEK; Sweet brown sugar, vanilla, soft wood (cedar like) forest spices

Me too. Two lovely bottles of Bourbon. The EBSG did another great job picking barrels.

I would add that the OBSK is bolder with spice and seems to "occupy" you palate initially. At barrel proof it is a BIG Bourbon for sure.

The OESK is subtler and has a more entertaining and complex finish.

The B opens up a bit and gains complexity with some water but the E seems to lose some essential complexity with more than a few drops of water.

This week Buffalo Trace with a side beer.

i picked up a bottle of BT myself this week. and for a little fun, im going to grab a bottle of Virginia Gentleman and have a little taste comparison.

An exceptional Old Weller Antique 7 Year Old. Hard to believe it was only $19.99

Cracked an ORVW 15 that I got in trade recently (thanks!) to celebrate new river rock in the garden.

:thankyousign:

Off tomorrow so have followed up the grilled lamb chops and glass of Bethel Heights Pinot with: SW Special Reserve from 1992, current Woodford Reserve-batch 451 (outstanding), and Old NO. 8 WT from 1993. Might not be done yet.

BT tonight. I seem to drink a lot of this in the summer.

bourbon, bourbon and more bourbon... man I have fallen off the wagon, rolled down the hill and fell into a still :)

Willett

Early Times

Old Fitz BIB

Old Fits Prime 1977

OGD 86.8 yr

OT 86/6 yr

repeat

I did have Rittenhouse BIB at a friends house yesterday. Back home I had WT 101 1984 before going to the Pease and love music festival and more of the same from the pocket bottle inside the festival area.

Leif

Bulleit with the neighbors last night. Probably start with ORVW 10/107 tonight.

Eagle Rare 101, neat.

That sounds so tasty, I remember it fondly.

ERSB with a Prime Ribeye and grilled veggies last night.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!