What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Summer 2010

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Don't freak out on me, but just arrived home with a 6 pack of Blenheim ginger ale! a local store carries it now :cool: . So I made a cocktail, maybe the best I've ever had;

(2) dashes each Angostura and Peychaud's bitters over 3 icecubes.

2 to 3 oz. Rittenhouse 21 yr old Rye

and filled the rocks glass up with the Blenheim original ginger ale!

The bitters really add depth to the drink while the age shines thru from the Ritt with nice barrel notes and a little char. The Ginger ale kicks everything in the ass with it's spice and robust flavor! Truly a great sipper on such a warm day!

Cheers!

Tony

Not to sound like a broken record but, I'm having this again and killed my Ritt 21 yr old, really an amazing drink. Tim (TNBourbon) said it best "If you're going to make a cocktail start with quality ingredients!"

Thanks Tim :cool:

Cheers!

Tony

I'll have to try that Tony, although I will place a gloss on Tim's statement by saying that a poor quality (or young, really) bourbon or rye also can make an excellent cocktail. It's the middle shelf stuff that doesn't work. :)

Sipping now a grappa called Acquavite Di Bricco Battistina, 1986 vintage. It was bottled in the mid-90's and has a light yellow tint.

It has the typical flavours of grappa - earthy, leather, anise - but wreathed with light oak which kind of brings it all together. Perfect digestive to a vigorous dinner of curry beef and India Pale Ale.

Gary

I'll have to try that Tony, although I will place a gloss on Tim's statement by saying that a poor quality (or young, really) bourbon or rye also can make an excellent cocktail. It's the middle shelf stuff that doesn't work. :)

Gary

I went the poor/young route and it too was excellent. Green label Heaven Hill 6 year 90 proof for a Manhattan with 1/4 ounce Stirrings Blood Orange bitters, 3/4 ounce of M & R vermouth and dash of cherry juice. I was following up on a previous thread on bitters and talk of using a healthy dose. This ended up being drunk with dinner and worked well as being both tasty and the proverbial palate cleanser between bites of salad, rib eye and baked potato.

With the dusk tonight being so beautiful here, a 375 ML 1983 Old Fitz BIB is now worthy of having its faux tax strip torn open.

Some FR Mariage 2009, and then some Old Forester BIB. I thought the Old Forester was better. I'm still yet to be impressed by a Four Roses bottle.

Four Roses SmB, one ice cube. Got a bottle as a birthday gift yesterday so I'm revisiting a bottle I already had opened. I believe it's been a couple of months.. nice.

Old Bourbon Hollow DSP-14 with Bernheim Red Cap.... Tony got me started on these with his postings... did mine with the Angostura bitters as well as a few drops of Orange bitters. I just can't get into the Peychauds, never could........

Ended up knocking off the remainder of a bottle of Binny's Weller 12 and figured I'd kill off the last pour of Old Forester Signature as a follow up. Both were excellent and I really can't say enough about the OFS. That's some really fine juice and the price is hard to beat.

Ended up knocking off the remainder of a bottle of Binny's Weller 12 and figured I'd kill off the last pour of Old Forester Signature as a follow up. Both were excellent and I really can't say enough about the OFS. That's some really fine juice and the price is hard to beat.

The signature is my next endeavor. But only after I buy up all the bottles of OFBIB that are still left on the shelf.

After a Monday off from the stellar tasting Sunday, last night I followed running a bunch of errands with a little ORVW 10/107.

Pete picked some up for me at Binny's when he made a quick trip to Chicago last weekend.

Ummm,...Pete did a Binny's run and didn't offer to pick something up for fellow MI's?

On topic, WTKS 2001 pewter top, neat.

Yes, Oscar, I most humbly appologize. He did a run and I failed to inform anybody in advance. I am sorry. Consider me duly chastized and next time I'll let you know!

Yes, Oscar, I most humbly appologize. He did a run and I failed to inform anybody in advance. I am sorry. Consider me duly chastized and next time I'll let you know!

Ahhh, nothing like cyber chastizment with humble appologizes,...wait a minute that's not my style, what's gotten into me?:bigeyes:

OFBB 06 in a glass GC...jury is still out on this one for me.

Followed up with a pour of Reid/Emerald 18yr #2 133.2...the jury isn't out on this stuff...it's hands down one of the best pours I've had to date! Great bottling Reid and Emerald! :cool:

I did have OFBB and Rittenhouse BIB back home after a single malt tasting event last night with the famous masters blander Rickard Paterson as tasting leader. He put on quit a show, but the whisky wasn’t up to the ones I had at home afterwards taste wise

Leif

Had an out-of-the-blue call from a friend last night who invited me over to share a bottle of WT Kentucky Spirit that he just picked up. It's a newer bottle from '09 (light brown top), so I brought over my pewter top which is still near-full for comparison. The '09 is sweeter and had far less pepper and spice but was delicious just the same and as smooth as a baby's ass for 101 proof. Keep 'em coming, Mr. Russell!

Aincient ancient age and coffee

I have to say that I have never tried bourbon with coffee.

With anything sweet bourbon goes great with and I never hesitate to try it but not yet with coffee.

I am sipping some Wild Turkey Rare Breed '97, neat.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!