What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Summer 2010

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had OGD 114 before dinner and WT 101 from 1986 and early 90-is after yesterday. The 90-is 1/3 litre bottle of WT 101 was a real lucky bottle for sure and totally superior to the one from the 80-is. A real sweet vanilla bomb!

Leif

Last night it was Booker's with a grilled rib-eye. Nothing yet so far tonight. I don't know what I'm in the mood for.

Rittenhouse Manhattan, 4 to 1 using NP sweet and 5 dashes Peychaud's.

A fine cocktail. Switching back and forth between MNF and the Phils v Braves.

Trying to kill some bottles so I'm having a pour of FRSmB followed by a pour of FR Mariage 09...the Mariage is a fantastic pour! :cool:

I had OFBB 2004 and Dickel Ch before dinner last night, pappy 15 after and WT 101 from early 90-is with the late apple pie for dessert.

Leif

Finished up last evening with a 4R's LE Small Batch. A very nice pour with good spice, sweetness.... the overall spiced fruit cake flavor I get from the K yeast blends. A few drops of water really opened this one up both to the nose and palate. A nice offering from 4R's but at a pretty stiff price point.....

Finished up last evening with a 4R's LE Small Batch. A very nice pour with good spice, sweetness.... the overall spiced fruit cake flavor I get from the K yeast blends. A few drops of water really opened this one up both to the nose and palate. A nice offering from 4R's but at a pretty stiff price point.....

Well, at least someone is drinking. Allergies kicked into overdrive this last weekend so no bourbon or cigars the last couple of days. Stinkin ragweed!

Well, at least someone is drinking. Allergies kicked into overdrive this last weekend so no bourbon or cigars the last couple of days. Stinkin ragweed!

That's been a major problem around here too, though the levels of shit floating in the air have been high for a month now. It's definitley put a damper on my bourbon and beer consumption, as some days have been absolutely miserable and I've felt like hell.

Greg, I drink the good stuff when I know your allergies kick in and you won't be stopping by..:grin: :grin: :grin:

Greg, I drink the good stuff when I know your allergies kick in and you won't be stopping by..:grin: :grin: :grin:

I did go to a tequila-tasting event on my work tonight with just 3 different glasses. I thought 2 was slightly to young and one (12 years in a sherry butt in hot climate) was to old. We had to vote for the best and I did vote for the youngest one (2 years) after a bit of pondering. All others voted the 12 year old, but I thought the Tequila character was spooled by the maturing all that years in the sherry butt. This said I thought it was an interesting tasting and pretty good as well.

Back home I had a 90 proof Bulleit before dinner and green Chartreuse with the dessert.

Leif

A few Reidel's deep in OFBB 2010. Still disappointing. Going back and forth between a 90s BIB and the 2010 OFBB, the BIB is much better.

A few Reidel's deep in OFBB 2010. Still disappointing. Going back and forth between a 90s BIB and the 2010 OFBB, the BIB is much better.

That's disappointing to hear. I've been eyeing a bottle myself but was waiting to see what others had to say about it. I've got a birthday next month and suspect my wife will pick one up for me.

That's disappointing to hear. I've been eyeing a bottle myself but was waiting to see what others had to say about it. I've got a birthday next month and suspect my wife will pick one up for me.

Side Note: If you like Four Roses, you might want to disregard my review. I've tried A LOT of FR products, and I haven't found one that I liked. The best I've tried is the Mariage 09, and I would take a bottle of OGD114 over any of it.

Side Note: If you like Four Roses, you might want to disregard my review. I've tried A LOT of FR products, and I haven't found one that I liked. The best I've tried is the Mariage 09, and I would take a bottle of OGD114 over any of it.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually quite a fan of Four Roses Single Barrel, so maybe the other bottle will suit my tastes just fine. Hope your disappointment fades with additional pours. That sometimes happens to me and then I wonder what it was that I ever disliked about the initial pour. Strange!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually quite a fan of Four Roses Single Barrel, so maybe the other bottle will suit my tastes just fine. Hope your disappointment fades with additional pours. That sometimes happens to me and then I wonder what it was that I ever disliked about the initial pour. Strange!

I will revisit this one quite often until it's gone trying to find something to cling to. Much like I did with the 2009. The 2010, IMO, is very similar to the 2009.

I still have a bottle of the 2009 in the bunker, PM me.

Moved on to a Willets 4yo done by Toddy's.... a 120ish proofer that is actually quite good with a splash of water... sweet, fairly well balanced, hint of corn, spice and a decent finish. Not a bad barrel proof for $30....

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!