What Beer are you drinking - Winter '10/'11

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well we made it past the shortest day of the year so they will only get longer from here. Lots of winter and Christmas beers are available and I have been making the rounds. The Delirium beers are always a fav of mine at this time of the year. I have also found a pretty good Christmas beer from Great Lakes out of Cleveland OH. And I am also into Sam Adams IPA 48 which feature hops of the northern climates. So what are you all pouring for beer to keep warm on really cold night?

Stille Nacht is the best Christmas beer I've had, rich & sweet without being cloying. Not overspiced either, in a way that some Christmas beers can be.

• 4 weeks later...

Still can't find the Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, and I've been told allocation is tight, so I may not be able to find it when it does hit the channel.

Today I got a set of four four-ounce samples:

la Rulls Triple

Dogfish Head Burton Baton Oaked IPA

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

New Holland Pilgrim's Dole Wheatwine

at the Louisville Beer Store. The own of this place likes his high gravity beers. Three of the four clock in at over 10% ABV, and the New Holland is 11.4%.

I prefer lower gravity beers so I can drink more, but this is what was available.

I liked them all. The Brooklyn stout was exceptional, and I really liked the New Holland, although with its sweetness and alcohol content I think my taste for it would drop off after one.

Last night attended a beer and food pairing featuring Terrapin beers. I was looking forward the attending but walked out somewhat disappointed. The featured beers were:

Golden ale

Rye Pale Ale

Hopsecutioner

Brown IPA

Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Moo-Hoo

There wasn't a single beer that I would go out and buy. I like the Sun Ray summer wheat they released last year but all the above were thin and rather one dimensional to me.

Bought a twelve pack sampler of Brooklyn Brewery beers for this weekend, as well as some extraordinarily inexpensive Genesee Cream Ale for old time's sake. We used to drink GCA back in college many, many years ago and I haven't seen it here in Chicago for quite some time, so I couldn't pass it up. It'll go down well with my fellow New Yorkers on Sunday while we watch the Jets dismantle the Steelers to advance to the Super Bowl!:grin:

It'll go down well with my fellow New Yorkers on Sunday while we watch the Jets dismantle the Steelers to advance to the Super Bowl!:grin:

Better save a few of those for after the game - in case things go horribly right.:grin:

Killed several Russian Imperial Stouts of late (Samuel Smith, Oak Aged Yeti, B.O.R.I.S.)

Ozzy is a fantastic Belgian Strong Pale Ale from Brewer's Art in Baltimore.

Then of course got the seasonal Bell's Hopslam release. Good stuff!

I liked them all. The Brooklyn stout was exceptional

We do get it here ones a year as a temporary release. I like it a lot, especially with soft chocolate cakes. It will come next time February 1 and I look forward for it.

Leif

There was a time when I could only get the original Brooklyn Lager which I really enjoy. Then the Brown Ale appeared and that was a winner as well. Now, the entire line is quite good, so I highly recommend the sampler twelve pack if you can find it.

Bell's Hopslam. A good drink but not my cup of tea. It's like a bourbon drinker having a good high quality Scotch. Enjoyable but not the right fit.

Too heavy on the hops for me, but I wanted to try it.

I was truly elated to find both Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and GL Edmund Fitzgerald Porter while in North Carolina this week. These are two of my very favorite beers, and I'm relishing the Fitzgerald, now. Them Ahiyans makes some good brews.

Bell's Hopslam. A good drink but not my cup of tea. It's like a bourbon drinker having a good high quality Scotch. Enjoyable but not the right fit.

Too heavy on the hops for me, but I wanted to try it.

My problem with the Hopslam (besides the price) isn't that it's too heavy on the hops but that it is too light on everything else.

I've been told that the Founders Double Trouble is what the Hopslam should be. I'll find out in a little bit.

Last night attended a beer and food pairing featuring Terrapin beers.

There wasn't a single beer that I would go out and buy. I like the Sun Ray summer wheat they released last year but all the above were thin and rather one dimensional to me.

I've had a lot of their Rye Pale Ale, but only because I visit Atlanta a lot and it's often the best thing on tap. The Sweetwater 420 is everywhere, but it comes up considerably short. Given better options I get something else.

I've been told that the Founders Double Trouble is what the Hopslam should be. I'll find out in a little bit.

I am highly anticipating this one too. And their Imperial Stout, and KBS.

I was truly elated to find both Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and GL Edmund Fitzgerald Porter while in North Carolina this week. These are two of my very favorite beers, and I'm relishing the Fitzgerald, now. Them Ahiyans makes some good brews.

I love their burning river American Pale Ale.

I am highly anticipating this one too. And their Imperial Stout, and KBS.

KBS is AWESOME but expensive.

I really love the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter too but don't believe I've ever tried the Dortmunder Gold. I'm wondering if Great Lakes does one of those mixed twelve pack samplers which would be a great way to try some of their other products.

Before going to see Yogi Bear in 3D I stoped at The Blue Cat Brewpub and had a pint of their Big Bad Dog Old English Ale. To me it tasted like a stout with less of the bitter coffee notes. I still like bocks better, but I'm working on it.

Rasputin Imperial Stout. This is a big bad brew. Deep notes of coffee, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits. Moderate hop bitterness on the finish. Not a brew to be taken lightly.

^^ I love Old Rasputin Imp Stout

I'm drinking Victory 12, Belgium Style Ale at 12% ABV ... it's been sitting in my fridge for too long, so I finally popped the cork on this one and it's fantastic. really really good. fruity, malty, and sweet candy notes. just the way I like em. dangerous pour, though. if you had poured this for me and told me it was 12% without showing me the bottle, I'd say you were full of shit.

^^ I love Old Rasputin Imp Stout

I'm drinking Victory 12, Belgium Style Ale at 12% ABV ... it's been sitting in my fridge for too long, so I finally popped the cork on this one and it's fantastic. really really good. fruity, malty, and sweet candy notes. just the way I like em. dangerous pour, though. if you had poured this for me and told me it was 12% without showing me the bottle, I'd say you were full of shit.

There's many beers that drink way too smooth and hover in the 10-14 abv range. I've found that I have to check the label so I know what I'm getting myself into.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.