What Beer are you drinking - Winter '10/'11

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Unibroue Maudite. a really great belgium strong dark ale. i like it just a bit more than trois pistoles, but i'm a huge fan of most things unibroue.

Had the Bell's Hopslam and Frontier Centennial tonight - both at the same time to see which one I preferred. The problem is that I went back and forth with each sip, and at the end I think that I'll need two more in order to determine my favorite!

The Founders Double Trouble is closer in style to the Hopslam, being the style called either Imperial IPA, Double IPA, or, increasingly, 2IPA. This is a higher gravity version of the American IPA, with more body, more hops, and a lot more alcohol.

Ok cool...I'll have to look for this one to drink while watching the games this weekend.

Also enjoyed a Founders Double Trouble... a favorite that has just been released in my neck of the woods...

Spent the afternoon at the local wing joint watching NCAA tournament games, inhaling wings (lemon pepper especially good, BTW), and working through their more than adequate beer line-up. The Hopslam on draft positively sparkled. :yum:

Spent the afternoon at the local wing joint watching NCAA tournament games, inhaling wings (lemon pepper especially good, BTW), and working through their more than adequate beer line-up. The Hopslam on draft positively sparkled. :yum:

hopslam is delicious! i'm going over to a friend's house tomorrow who is brewing, and he is tapping a keg of his hopslam clone. he's an excellent home brewer, so I'm really excited to taste this.

I went out to eat with friends tonight and had a Rogue Chocolate Stout. For a chocolate stout there is so much coffee in there. I love it!

I had a Danish double black IPA from Amager yesterday with the spicy liver stew for dinner. A fantastic beer, beer stile and paring. Than later at night a Modus Hopperland IPA from Ska brewery. Ok but not more than that. It was far from the quality of the west coast IPA that was released at the same temporary release Mars 1.

Leif

The Founders Double Trouble is closer in style to the Hopslam, being the style called either Imperial IPA, Double IPA, or, increasingly, 2IPA. This is a higher gravity version of the American IPA, with more body, more hops, and a lot more alcohol.

Had the Double Trouble tonight...very good! I just wish I had a Hopslam left that I could compare it to.

Yestery it was a Founders Backwood's Bastard.... for me this is the best of their offering and impossible to find around these parts....

With a bit of luck perhaps in a few weeks i can enjoy the one and only Westvleteren12 i was limited for 2 bottles only.As for now last evening i had a Van Vollenhoven stout a rare beer from the Heinekenbrewery nearby that tastes very good.

Eric.

Picked up the latest Sam Adams twelve pack collection which no longer has the winter brews (Old Fezziwig, Chocolate Bock, Winter Lager, etc.). This may be the best twelve pack configuration yet: Sam Adams Lager, Scotch Ale, Revolutionary Rye, Irish Red, Noble Pils and White Ale. I started with the Revolutionary Rye, having never had it before, and really enjoyed it. The rye is subtle but adds a crisp, light spice flavor that is quite satisfying. Next up was an old favorite, Scotch Ale, which I feel SA does quite well. The Irish Red went down the hatch on St. Patrick's Day and was maltier than expected--good stuff. Just waiting for a sunny, warm day to hit the Noble Pils and White Ale. This twelver is worth it if it's available in your area.

Sampler upcoming may be my best chance to get a 6 of Pilsener Urquell talls to the boys (and girls) at Gazebo. I will bring some if I can find it under 3 months from packaging, sometimes I can get it at 8 weeks. The super-freshness and lack of impact from the light (through green glass, I mean) is a revelation. I think it may end up being this and a bottle of my 20-bourbon blend, possibly Manhattan-ized.

Gary

Yestery it was a Founders Backwood's Bastard.... for me this is the best of their offering and impossible to find around these parts....

I saw some of their KBS today, but, at $25 for four 12oz beers, I passed. Instead I got a tall Stone Ruination.

I saw some of their KBS today, but, at $25 for four 12oz beers, I passed. Instead I got a tall Stone Ruination.

I picked up two for $10. What the hell. It's good! (Or at least last year's version was good.)

I'd would have picked up a 4 pack but they were rationed to those on the list.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.