What Beer are you drinking - Winter '10/'11

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's decidedly un-winter-like here in south Ala. I've been grilling outdoors and picking up pecan tree limbs the past two weekends. Even have a little sun burn to show for my outdoor time. Anyhow, tried my first Cigar City brew on Sunday while grilling - Jai Alai IPA. Plenty of hops, but the underlying carmel malt tones reminded more of Bell's Two Hearted (or maybe DFH 60min) than the west coast hop bombs. Very enjoyable.

It's decidedly un-winter-like here in south Ala. I've been grilling outdoors and picking up pecan tree limbs the past two weekends. Even have a little sun burn to show for my outdoor time. Anyhow, tried my first Cigar City brew on Sunday while grilling - Jai Alai IPA. Plenty of hops, but the underlying carmel malt tones reminded more of Bell's Two Hearted (or maybe DFH 60min) than the west coast hop bombs. Very enjoyable.

That sounds good, and it's nice to see brewing going on in Florida, too. I'll look it up, but I assume "Cigar City" is in Tampa, although I associate Jai Alai with other parts of the state.

That sounds good, and it's nice to see brewing going on in Florida, too. I'll look it up, but I assume "Cigar City" is in Tampa, although I associate Jai Alai with other parts of the state.

About a decade ago I had a local beer from a brewery in Ybor City (Tampa) but don't recall the name, believe it had a fish on the label.

It's odd that a style so strongly associated with european heritage has grown to be one of the biggest (/most popular) styles in the American craft beer scene while being largely ignored by european brewers. We were happy at the end of the night when we realized that at least we had some european representation for this classic style.

The American craft revolution is destroying typical european stalwarts. With exception of the Belgian beers, the US is producing a wider variety and in some cases, exceptional quality. Hell, Germany is having a massive decline in brewing due to lagging demand.

There's no finer place to drink beer than the USofA.

I'm cheating, in that it's not quite 5:00, yet. But, I resisted White Dog's temptation to have a lunch pour of bourbon earlier today. :D So, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, here I come!

The American craft revolution is destroying typical european stalwarts. With exception of the Belgian beers, the US is producing a wider variety and in some cases, exceptional quality. Hell, Germany is having a massive decline in brewing due to lagging demand.

There's no finer place to drink beer than the USofA.

Craft brewers are starting to make Belgian-style beers, too, but there's serious competition there. Few beers have as much terrior as the Belgian ones, especially those that use wild yeast.

So I'm sitting on the porch of the brewery in Amana Colony in Iowa, more than a decade back, plucking a hop bud off the trellis within reach (I had permission) with a selection of six two once samples, all of which were freshly made, sitting on the table. Good stuff, keen as new bread out of the oven. My young son was running his match cars on the table and floor and as our afternoon progressed after lunch he was adopted by the girls who joined in the racing stakes, betting nichols, and of course I paid both those who won or lost and tipped on top of that, great afternoon.

Point being good beer is where you find it.

Last night I ate at the Blue Cat Brewpub In Rock Island. I tried their Blue Bastard Baltic Porter. I didn't like it as much as their Olde English Ale so when it came time for a re-fill I switched.

Their BBQ brisket was delicious and went well with the beer....just wish I had started with the Old English Ale. To my inexperienced beer palette the two aren't that dissimilar but small differences can sure change the level of enjoyment a lot.

I was supposed to go golfing today, but it's too damp, cool and blustery. So, I'll stay here and sip on this Heavy Seas Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA. Not bad, at all. Gorgeous color. Very silky, and despite the name, not annoyingly over-hopped. Pretty good.

I'm cheating, in that it's not quite 5:00, yet. But, I resisted White Dog's temptation to have a lunch pour of bourbon earlier today. :D So, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, here I come!

How is the Two Hearted Ale, Joe?

A few years back my dad and I were playing golf up in Michigan and we came across Bell's. We were living in Texas at the time and I don't think Bell's distribution was any farther south than Ohio. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I started seeing Bell's Oberon here in Atlanta. I do like Bell's a lot, and will probably pick some of this up if I can find it!

Jack

How is the Two Hearted Ale, Joe?

A few years back my dad and I were playing golf up in Michigan and we came across Bell's. We were living in Texas at the time and I don't think Bell's distribution was any farther south than Ohio. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I started seeing Bell's Oberon here in Atlanta. I do like Bell's a lot, and will probably pick some of this up if I can find it!

Jack

I know you didn't ask me, but that's never stopped me before.

The Two-Hearted Ale is an American-style IPA. It's one of the good ones.

That corner of Michigan (and nearby Indiana) are good for that style. You've got Two-Hearted, Founders Centennial, New Holland's Mad Hatter, and Three Floyds Alpha King. I like them all. If forced to rank them, I'd put the Two-Hearted second, but, really, I'd have no problem rotating through the set.

You've got Two-Hearted, Founders Centennial, New Holland's Mad Hatter, and Three Floyds Alpha King. I like them all. If forced to rank them, I'd put the Two-Hearted second, but, really, I'd have no problem rotating through the set.

Thanks Craig...which one is your favorite?

Thanks Craig...which one is your favorite?

The Founders, but they are all excellent. I wouldn't turn down any of them.

I've been lately really enjoying Red Hook ESB. Close in profile to Sam Adams Boston Lager but just a little hoppier. Made not too far from here and it's excellent. Nice to have a good local brew here in NH.

Cheers!

The Founders, but they are all excellent. I wouldn't turn down any of them.

Picked up a six pack of Founders today - looking forward to trying it!

I've been lately really enjoying Red Hook ESB. Close in profile to Sam Adams Boston Lager but just a little hoppier. Made not too far from here and it's excellent. Nice to have a good local brew here in NH.

Cheers!

I had no idea they'd opened a New England brewery, and I see that it was fifteen years ago. Time flies. I guess that counts as local.

I visited the original brewery outside Seattle thirteen years ago, and even then they'd moved production to a big plant further out. The A-B distribution deal has been very good for them (and for Goose Island, apparently).

I'd much rather the majors buy stock in and distribute existing craft breweries than make up their own craft-sounding beers (like Shocktop and Blue Moon).

Picked up a six pack of Founders today - looking forward to trying it!

Grab a four-pack of Double Trouble if you can find it. If you like really hoppy beers. Otherwise you may want to skip it.

Grab a four-pack of Double Trouble if you can find it. If you like really hoppy beers. Otherwise you may want to skip it.

I'll look for it. I just finished a Two Hearted Ale...very tasty!

Now on to the Founders...

Craig, I think I agree with you - I thought the Two Hearted Ale was excellent, but I may prefer the Founders. The Founders seemed to have a little more body, although they were very similar and both are terrific beers. I'm sure that I will purchase plenty more of both in the future, if I can find them!

My neighbor gave me a 7 oz bottle of Little Kings Cream Ale...he likes it on a hot summer day. I don't expect much from it...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/431/1298

Overall.....C

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.

Cincinnati, Oh

5.5% ABV

It reminds me of a Mickeys or other shelf pick for those looking to get drunk. I will report on it later.

Ate at Granite City earlier this week and finally found something I like there. I've never been over fond of their beer offerings, although their seasonals are usually pretty good. Waiter talked me into trying their version of a black and tan-- their stout and their IPA. It's great. Tastes like a decent stout now, not as bland but balanced (I'm no fan of excessively hoppy beers) I'll be ordering that again. Which is good, because their whiskey selection is pretty weak. The have Red Stag, though. :rolleyes:

... I've never been over fond of their beer offerings, although their seasonals are usually pretty good.

I get the impression that they are on the watery side for micro's. I have tried their stout but it seems short on flavor, especialy compared to other local brewpubs.

They seem to really push what they call "two pull", a 50/50 blend of Northern Light and their bock. I didn't care for it. It was sort of like putting too much water in a bourbon and branch. I wished I could have slammed half the mug and had the bar tender top it back off with the bock. It might have saved the dining experience. I like their Brother Bennie's Bock.

I tried a sample of their "whiskey infused" scotch ale. Unless I got the standard scotch ale by mistake, I couldn't taste any whiskey. On a later trip the bar tender was the brewmaster at that location and told me they used Makers Mark and something about a "spiral of charred oak" and 150 gallons of ale. It sounds like to me he just dumped a botthe of Maker's 46 into a vat of the standard scottish ale.

Next seasonal up is Burning Barn Irish Red. (this Sunday, I think) I'll give that one a try.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.