What Beer are you drinking - Winter '10/'11

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There's many beers that drink way too smooth and hover in the 10-14 abv range. I've found that I have to check the label so I know what I'm getting myself into.

You're right. Generally I can taste over 7% in a beer, but I had one last week, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, that was in stealth mode. I'm told it was 10.4%, but I never would have guessed that.

I finally cracked open a Double Trouble last night. That may be the best super-hoppy 2IPA I've had.

The standard Yeti with the salt herring with onion souse for dinner today. It worked very well as the beer is pretty hoppy for a stout.

Leif

Rasputin Imperial Stout. This is a big bad brew. Deep notes of coffee, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits. Moderate hop bitterness on the finish. Not a brew to be taken lightly.

I like that a lot as well Greg. Unfortunately we haven’t had it at our government store for 3 years or so, but its available at many quality bars. However there Belgium stile beer “brother Thelonious†that we have as a year around product at our government store is horrible and almost undrinkable to my personal taste.

Leif

I like that a lot as well Greg. Unfortunately we haven’t had it at our government store for 3 years or so, but its available at many quality bars. However there Belgium stile beer “brother Thelonious†that we have as a year around product at our government store is horrible and almost undrinkable to my personal taste.

Leif

That's interesting. I've had the Brother Thelonious, and I thought it was OK, even though it's not my favorite style. I love the name.

How does a beer from a small brewery like that make it so far from home? It's fascinating.

I took two turds, mixed them 50/50, and I think I'm on the way to salvaging about $25. I have 7 bottles of SA Cranberry Lambic left over from previous years Mixed Holiday Packs. I also have about 8 bottles left of BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout. I just can't drink the Lambic. I usually like the BBS, but the case I bought during KBF is horrendously over-over-over-carbonated. I mean, just ridiculously so. Makes it unenjoyable, if not impossible to drink. So mixed them together, waited a bit for the foam to calm down, and it's pretty good. The BBS improves the taste, and the Lambic seems to settle the over carbination. Gary Gillman would be so proud of me!! :D

Before going to see Yogi Bear in 3D I stoped at The Blue Cat Brewpub and had a pint of their Big Bad Dog Old English Ale. To me it tasted like a stout with less of the bitter coffee notes. I still like bocks better, but I'm working on it.

LOL...How was the movie?

LOL...How was the movie?

Heavy on the propaganda.

I should have had a couple more pints and snuck in something in a flask.

This was the first time I had went to a 3D movie since the old days when the glasses you wore were the red/green lens kind. I'm impressed with the new 3D.

It's snowing here in the Mid Atlantic....a lot. I think it's hitting about an inch/hour. To celebrate my hatred for all things snow and cold, I'm enjoying a St. Bernardus ABT 12.

I'm not much of a beer drinker but I have been enjoying a six pak of Killian's Irish Red. Most of my beer drinking involves loud music and dancing girls :rolleyes:

I need to lay in some of the micro brews available here in central Missouri; there is a micro here in Columbia located in an old garage that has a stout called "Oil Change" and does have the appearance of old motor oil and tastes like a liquid 7 grain bread.

I got some freebies today.

We just got Rheingold to sell at our distributor and they gave us a few cans of it.

As far as how it taste? Well I'll just say the price was right.

Very good Joe, exactly. In fact, one 1700's brewing author advised to add elderberry juice to porter. The reason was that the tart fruity edge would emulate the taste of porter stored 6-12 months in wood. Old porters certainly had tart, even sourish edges, from wild yeasts resident in the oak tuns.

Lambic is made with wild yeast and even if SA didn't actually ferment it wild I am sure they chose a pretty funky yeast. Cranberry and elderberry are very similar to all intents and purposes.

In other words Joe, you have just created a classic.

Gary

P.S. Here is the source, Mr. George Watkins himself, look at pp. 123-131. (Isinglass is simply to clarify beer, still used in real ale brewing).

http://books.google.com/books?id=X2lHAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA123&dq=george+watkins+%2B+elderberry+juice+%2B+porter&hl=en&ei=hS5DTfPEL4KB8gb1592GAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnu

Feeling daggone good about myself after finishing a very quick 3 mile run on a rainy 40 degree afternoon. Usually, I just bag it on days like this, but it was actually kinda refreshing. I'm now rewarding myself with what I was thinking I was going to drink afterwards, while running....this Guiness FES. This beer continues to be such a treat. It has brightened and warmed, what is such a dank day here, Down South.

Just killed a bunch of AMerican Porter and Milk Stouts..

Founders Porter

Duck Rabbit Milk

mighty tasty.

Also killed some hop Stoopid from Lagunitas and SN Hoptimum. The Hoptimum was like eating a Christmas tree.

Picked up in New York recently more Guinness FES, some Carnegie Porter 2004 vintage (old Swedish brand in the style of a Baltic porter but less strong, 5.5% ABV), Wrassler's Full Stout, made by Porterhouse, a brewpub/brewery in Ireland, and Tenfidy Imperial Stout, made by one of Cliff's favourite breweries, Oskar Blues.

Going to taste these soon with SB-er (but only occasional contributor) Gary Hodder and I hope to post some jointly written notes on these soon.

Gary

Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. This is a favorite of mine. Very sweet chocolate with a minimal but perfect hops presence that balances out the finish. The only problem is it is one of the few beers that my girlfriend also loves, so whenever I buy it I need to pick up double!

Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. This is a favorite of mine. Very sweet chocolate with a minimal but perfect hops presence that balances out the finish. The only problem is it is one of the few beers that my girlfriend also loves, so whenever I buy it I need to pick up double!

OOOO OOO OOOO!!!!

That beer is real good I AGREE!! I find it extremely fruity and berry on the nose.

Just killed a Founders Double Imperial Stout... happy times!

It wasn't quite 5 o'clock here, but I just couldn't wait to get into a 2011 Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock. :yum:

Founders Double Trouble very heavy on the hops. Too heavy for me. If you like IPA I think you'll love this beer as it was more than just hops the the IBU is something like 86.

Give me a beer with a 26 IBU and you're saying something.

Bought a bottle just to try.

KSB will be available in mid March. I'm on the call list. I think I'll have one from last year on Sunday while watching the SB just because I can.

Syncrhonicity.

While waiting on some takeout at the local joint, I had a pint of Southern Tier 2xIPA and also a pour of....Founders Double Trouble.

The 2x had a great hoppy aroma and was very crisp, clean and enjoyable. The Founders was a bit deeper and with the slightly higher ABV the citrus from the hops was not as pronounced though it was well rounded.

I'm no hop head, but I love the citrus influence of the hop blends.

I grabbed a six of Heavy Seas Black Cannon - Black IPA.

It's the Black version of Loose Cannon and I prefer it. The cirtus is muted just enough as is the pine from the IPA. Pretty well balanced and goes down nice.

My favorite version of this beer is still the Heavy Seas on cask though.

A coworker gave me a bottle of New Glarus Brewing's Smoked Rye Ale (a one-off, essentially, according to the label).

A smoky, campfire nose, from loads of smoked malt. The rye is really a background flavor here.

from the label: "A bold rich smoky nose is created naturally from a blend of smoked malts from Bamberg Germany and Chilton, Wisconsin, as well as robust Wisconsin rye. Special ale yeast ferments this hazy deep amber brew in the bottle. This is a big smoked beer fermented with Turbinado sugar..."

I think the smoked malt wins out over the rye. Not that it's a bad thing. This reminds me a lot of Ardmore Scotch-- it would be perfect next to an Ardmore or another peated highlander.

I had SN celebration last night that came out February 1 for the yearly release on our government store. Very good indeed!

Leif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.