What Beer are you drinking - Winter '10/'11

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

21st Amendment Bitter American.

At 4.4% ABV it's just bitter enough and very drinkable without heaviness. It's a session beer and is a bit more drinkable than another session beer favorite of mine, Session by Full Sail.

Session is a bit more malty while this is more bitter. Good stuff if you don't feel like working at getting one down.

I have had 21st's Back in Black and that's quite good too.

http://www.21st-amendment.com/beer/bitter-american

Last night:

New Albanian Brewing Company's Bourbon Society Willett 17yo Bourbon Barrel Chocolate Stout.

NABC Chocolate Stout (non-barrel aged)

NABC Hoptimus

NABC Jaxon

NABC Tunnel Vision.

There may have been some Willett 3yo Rye and 17yo Bourbon mixed in there. And cigars.

"Last year, NABC's Jared Williamson brewed a Chocolate Stout with chocolate three ways (malt, nibs and cocoa; formulated by Jesse Williams) and some raisins to round it out. A portion of the batch was aged for six months in a freshly dumped wooden barrel from Willett bourbon (aka, Kentucky Bourbon Distillers), and it will be ready for drinking on Friday as Willett Bourbon Barrel Chocolate Stout."

Been on a bit of a beer kick lately. Currently am drinking from a growler of Flying Fish Exit 13 Chocolate Stout. Recently have enjoyed:

Left Hand Fade to Black Volume 2

Founders Centennial IPA

Southern Tier 2XIPA

Rouge Chocolate Stout (Great Chocolate Stout)

I did go to my beer club for a nostalgic tasting with beers from 6 different countries plus 2009 utopia as the extra special one. The other American was an 11 % stout from lost Abbey that was the thickest beer I remember ever tasted. Much fuller that the bourbon county stout for instance. I liked it a lot but I liked a Swedish barrel age stout from Dugges in Gothenburg better called perfect idiot. Still my and the crowds favourite was the utopia as expected.

Leif

Leif I can "return the favor" by mentioning that I had a Carnegie Porter 2004 in New York recently, in the bottle 7 years and showing no (negative) effects from it. This to me is better than almost all the newer craft stouts. It's only defect is I would prefer a stronger version, but it is full-flavored and supposedly (according to the label) is made the same way as when Carnegie left Scotland to go to Sweden to make it in 1836. Consumed new I am sure it would be a little different, mine was rounded with good chocolate and roasted flavours.

Gary

Emptied a 22 oz New Holland Dragon's Milk. An exceptional beer and similar in nature to Founders Backwoods Bastard. Very nice indeed.

Just got a six pack of Bell's Hopslam via UPS today.. can't wait to try it!
'

you will have fun trust me!

'

you will have fun trust me!

I split one with a friend... it was great! Although my friend had a problem identifying why this beer was better than other hopped ales... I had fun just knowing I was part of an exclusive crowd :slappin:

Speaking of beer, me, my Bride and her sister are going to Michigan Brewery this Saturday the 19th.

It's at 1093 Highview Dr, Webberville, MI 48892.

Haven't nailed down the time yet, most likely early afternoon and if any MI Bourbon Hounds show, or anyone for that matter, I'll buy the first round of Russian Imperial Stout.

Weyerbacher 15 - smoked imperial stout

Sometimes I have a hard time picking out smokiness when others say it is obvious, but it is very evident in this pour even to me. Smoke, Cocoa, caramel... smooth and balanced. Another brew that hides its high ABV quite well.

Warsteiner lager in the white can, about 8 weeks from packaging (per the 12 month date code system). This is essentially the same as numerous draft German and Czech lagers I had on a recent tourney of those lands. It is malty with an earthy/herbal/slightly funky taste, from the hops, that is just like the beers there. Excellent classic helles IMO, the true taste of German lager beer.

Gary

I split one with a friend... it was great! Although my friend had a problem identifying why this beer was better than other hopped ales... I had fun just knowing I was part of an exclusive crowd :slappin:

The Hopslam is stacked up all over town in Louisville, and it's available in growlers at Liquor Barn.

I think the Founders Double Trouble is every bit as hoppy and better balanced, and it costs a little bit less ($10/4 compared to $18/6). It's still pricey for beer, but, man, it's good. I started off with one four pack and keep picking up more, so now I've got five in the refrigerator.

Other seasonal beers make sense in their season (harvest ales, holiday beers, summer beers), but it seems odd that so many breweries release their double IPAs in January. Maybe because nothing else claims this time of year.

Those of you in the Louisville area may be interested to learn that the Mid City Valumarket has finally given up on that case of Sierra Nevada Estate and has marked it down from $10.99 a bottle to $3.99 a bottle. I thought it was overpriced, but it's worth this. I'm enjoying one now.

I suspect that, while that fancy beer area was an appealing idea for the Highlands store, I don't think it has been as successful as they had hoped. I haven't taken notes, but the beers on tap for growler sales seem to linger longer than they should, and this Estate has been sitting there for months. They've also got a lot of the $9.99 30th anniversary bottles.

But maybe they've got beer shoppers I don't know about. They certainly have the best beer selection in the center of the city. Their only real competition is Liquor Barn, and the closest is probably the new St. Matthews store. Keg Liquor across the river has a nice selection, but it may not be as big.

Anyway, I think the Estate is worth $3.99, especially since the (in my opinion) superior Northern Hemisphere Harvest is long gone. At least until the Southern Hemisphere Harvest comes out in a month or two.

Some local beer guys got together for a beer tasting tonight. We had Kate the Great, Dark Lord, Darkness, Hunahpu's, Marshal Zhukov's, Speedway stout, Beer Geek Brunch Weasel, Sexual Chocolate, Imperial Stout Trooper, 06 Stone IRS, and Jackie O's Dark Apparition. It was a non-barrel aged stout tasting and it was delicious.

Best of the night: Kate the Great!

It's odd that a style so strongly associated with european heritage has grown to be one of the biggest (/most popular) styles in the American craft beer scene while being largely ignored by european brewers. We were happy at the end of the night when we realized that at least we had some european representation for this classic style.

Visited the Victory Brewey for a chili cookoff this past Sunday.

Sampled Victory Hop Devil, Hop Wallup and Golden Monkey. The GM is a Belgian coming in at 11.5% abv. They have quite an array of beers and the bar space to handle a crowd. Each of the chili used one of their beers in the recipe.

I did not do the driving on the way home.

SweetWater Happy Ending. Hops, coffee, cocoa. A little thin for a double stout, but I really like this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.