E.H Taylor Bourbons

cgbakerjr
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

FWIW, a few bottles showed up recently in No KY. (The original allocation sold out in days.)

• 4 weeks later...

Just read Chuck's blog and the next release sounds tantalizing. 11yr old single barrel BiB yummm

A retailer here in Tallahassee just received a case of the first release Taylor. They didn't order it and it just appeared with a much larger order. They had never heard of it or seen a bottle before yesterday.

I suppose it has been sitting in a distributors warehouse all year waiting for someone to order it. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Chuck I read your blog on the second release do we have a date set for the release?

It's being released now but, as you know, it's hard to predict when it will reach a particular market. Talk to your favorite whiskey monger now.

Binny's (on Butterfield) still has 2 bottles of the first release on the shelf. I Lots of Handy also. Is the Handy not a fast seller like the Stagg and Weller?

Craig

Around here 2008 ER 17s are still easy to find and that's supposed to be one of the best years. To say they are slow movers would be an understatement.

Only Stagg and 18-yo Sazerac Rye are instant sell-outs.

What about Weller? Sorry didn't mean to push the thread in a different direction, but I was somewhat surprised to see all the Handy on the shelf.

Craig

Sales aren't reported so it's only a sense, but I don't think WLW is in that same class as GTS and SR. SR sells out quickly because they release so little of it. GTS sells out quickly because it's GTS and people are just bat shit for the stuff.

In these parts, there are still bottles of THH and Saz18 left on the shelf. The rest of them didn't even make it to the shelf, let alone have time to sit on it.

I can't recall the exact labeling of the first bottling, whose quality I found disappointing. It was a bond I think and presumably batched although it could have been from a single barrel too. This current one clearly is from one barrel according to the label. I am wary to buy it again without some reviews and comparisons, though...

Gary

I guess it's all in where you are located. I'm fairly certain only 2 bottles of GTS ever made it to my neck of the woods and I grabbed one as soon as I saw it. I don't think any of the other antique collection bottles made it here. On the other hand there is still a lonely first release EH Taylor bottle sitting on the shelf that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I have high hopes that I can find a Handy, Weller, or Sazerac 18 this year.

I'm in Fresno, CA. Just about smack dab in the center of the state. If I were to travel a few hours I'm sure I could locate some bottles from the antique collection when they are released. As for what comes into Fresno, we only have 2 real options for liquor besides grocery stores and the quick-e-marts. Perhaps it's time for me to foster a better relationship with the mom and pop operation. I was able to grab 2 bottles of PVW 15 this year, but I'm fairly certain that only 3 bottles every made it local. Does that make me a hoarder?

I'm in Fresno, CA. Just about smack dab in the center of the state. If I were to travel a few hours I'm sure I could locate some bottles from the antique collection when they are released. As for what comes into Fresno, we only have 2 real options for liquor besides grocery stores and the quick-e-marts. Perhaps it's time for me to foster a better relationship with the mom and pop operation. I was able to grab 2 bottles of PVW 15 this year, but I'm fairly certain that only 3 bottles every made it local. Does that make me a hoarder?

Do you have BevMo in Fresno? They usually get big shipments of BTAC.

Maybe this was addressed up thread but I missed it. Did BT use the same sour mash process for this new edition?

And do we have any mashbill info?

Yes, I asked. It is not the special sour mash (that was a one-off) and it is BT rye-recipe bourbon mash bill number one.

Although BT makes the two rye-recipe bourbon mash bills, #1 is used for all brands Sazerac owns and #2 is used for all brands Age International owns, so if it's a Saz brand (as Taylor is) you can just about guarantee it will be #1, until we get to some of the micro-distilled stuff. This is standard BT rye bourbon #1 at 11 years.

@sku

I actually acquired the GTS at Bevmo here in Fresno. As far as I know that's the only brand they got in. The website is less than helpful since they will either never show up online, or like Eagle Rare 17 they will stay on the site despite being sold out for more than 8 months. They have a surprisingly good selection of whiskey, but small or limited releases seem to miss my location. On the other hand I can almost always find Redbreast, High West products, and Weller Antique so you take the good with the bad.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I asked. It is not the special sour mash (that was a one-off) and it is BT rye-recipe bourbon mash bill number one.

Although BT makes the two rye-recipe bourbon mash bills, #1 is used for all brands Sazerac owns and #2 is used for all brands Age International owns, so if it's a Saz brand (as Taylor is) you can just about guarantee it will be #1, until we get to some of the micro-distilled stuff. This is standard BT rye bourbon #1 at 11 years.

I thought ETL is #2, and that's a Sazerac label? Rock Hill as well.

Hidden
I thought ETL is #2, and that's a Sazerac label? Rock Hill as well.

A trademark search will confirm that all #2 mash bill bourbons from BT are Age International brands (AA, ETL, Rock Hill Farms, Hancock's and Blanton's).

Nope. Turns out everything on that mashbill, AA, AAA, ETL, Hancock, RHF and Blanton's are all owned by Age International.

Well that's a nice little mashbill that Age International has going there, IMHO.:cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.