E.H Taylor Bourbons

cgbakerjr
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If there was something to be gained for them by falsifying it, I might be more skeptical than I am, but since doing it in a couple of batches is no more work than doing it in one batch, I suspect they did it straight. They have something to gain by upholding the integrity of BIB and nothing to gain by undermining it. Most people don't do wrong things when there's nothing in it for them.

That's from my new book, Awkwardly-Phrased Words of Wisdom.

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering . . . has this shown up anywhere yet? Definitely curious to try.

Not that I've seen. People I've spoken with seem to think it will be out some time in February.

I got a chance to taste it. It's good. Bit of citrus, bit of white wine, not too much wood. Worth it? That's up to you. If you like the BT profile, regular BT is pretty hard to beat.

My interest in this product is Waning. I loved the fist release. I thought it was unique in taste ( unusual and tasty) I liked the story of an old abandoned sour mash process. Cool package and an homage to a Titan in the bourbon industry. The second release was nice but $70-$80? And the interesting connection was that it was aged in a rickhouse built by col. Taylor? He built like 7 distilleries and who knows how much warehouse space. And now tornado proof bourbon? I'm not sold anymore. I love BOB bourbon. It's a great part of bourbon heritage and we wouldn't have it without efforts from eh and others but I don't think I will $$ up for the 3rd release. Too much other stuff to spend money on. My 2 cents :soapbox:

My interest in this product is Waning. I loved the fist release. I thought it was unique in taste ( unusual and tasty) I liked the story of an old abandoned sour mash process. Cool package and an homage to a Titan in the bourbon industry. The second release was nice but $70-$80? And the interesting connection was that it was aged in a rickhouse built by col. Taylor? He built like 7 distilleries and who knows how much warehouse space. And now tornado proof bourbon? I'm not sold anymore. I love BOB bourbon. It's a great part of bourbon heritage and we wouldn't have it without efforts from eh and others but I don't think I will $$ up for the 3rd release. Too much other stuff to spend money on. My 2 cents :soapbox:

Ditto, Kevin. I tasted the first. But, honestly don't remember it much. :crazy: I ponied up for the BIB, and IMO it was zippo...Only if I'm feeling flush, will I pop for the next one.

Got a bottle yesterday.

First impressions: The tornado is very robust and flavor-forward. "In your face" in a good way. Nothing bashful or subtle here, all the notes are bright and clear. Nice, crisp taste with noticeable rye spice. The strength and clarity of flavor remind me of some of the GTS releases. Don't know if this makes sense but it seems like the BT profile has been amped up and the dial turned all the way to treble.

IMO, the best of the EHT releases. YMMV

Got a bottle yesterday.

First impressions: The tornado is very robust and flavor-forward. "In your face" in a good way. Nothing bashful or subtle here, all the notes are bright and clear. Nice, crisp taste with noticeable rye spice. The strength and clarity of flavor remind me of some of the GTS releases. Don't know if this makes sense but it seems like the BT profile has been amped up and the dial turned all the way to treble.

Dammit, John! I'm feeling flush, now. I love it when I hold on to a position or principle for less than 24 hrs...:crazy:

Local shop still has a lonely bottle of the Single Barrel for $60. Have come close to snagging it, but the consensus here seems to be, "it's nothing great, skip it and wait for the Tornado batch."

Did anyone here like the Single Barrel?

Got a bottle yesterday.

Where did you get it and how much did it run?

Thomas

These were all top of the warehouse barrels weren't they? Nevermind-yes they were. Just found the pic of the warehouse damage.

Seems like the higher heat, more aggressive barrel agin/cycling really shows though. While the first was nice, and I haven't opened the second, this sounds much tastier already.

B

Got a bottle yesterday.

Local shop still has a lonely bottle of the Single Barrel for $60. Have come close to snagging it, but the consensus here seems to be, "it's nothing great, skip it and wait for the Tornado batch."

Did anyone here like the Single Barrel?

I opened a single barrel tonight, to go along with a sour mash I have. I've already been through one Sour Mash bottle, working on the second. I like the sour mash better myself. The single barrel is sweeter, bolder up front, but less balanced and burns more. hate to compare, but more like GTS than the sour mash.

The sour mash is just so well balanced, it's drinkable in any way, iced, straight, with a bit of water, etc. The single barrel also has the faint BT profile funk I don't really enjoy. So ultimately, the Single Barrel, to me, is 100 proof BT.

The Sour Mash is something different to me. It may finish faster, but it's something I want to drink again and again, sip on all night, add an ice cube to, and ultimately carry me to the dawn.

I was liked the Single Barrel very much.

Perhaps I was suffering from Gazebo palate syndrome, but neither of the first two EHT releases tripped my trigger.

I opened a single barrel tonight, to go along with a sour mash I have. I've already been through one Sour Mash bottle, working on the second. I like the sour mash better myself. The single barrel is sweeter, bolder up front, but less balanced and burns more. hate to compare, but more like GTS than the sour mash.

The sour mash is just so well balanced, it's drinkable in any way, iced, straight, with a bit of water, etc. The single barrel also has the faint BT profile funk I don't really enjoy. So ultimately, the Single Barrel, to me, is 100 proof BT.

The Sour Mash is something different to me. It may finish faster, but it's something I want to drink again and again, sip on all night, add an ice cube to, and ultimately carry me to the dawn.

I totally agree. The Sour Mash is so unique to me that I find myself having specific cravings for it. Perhaps it the influence of having read Mr. Cowdery's review, but I totally get the cumin in a very pleasing way. I'm becoming a bigger fan of this stuff with every glass.

I'm hopeful I can get into the big D and pick up another bottle of the Sour Mash before they're all gone! I'll have to look for the cumin next time I have a pour. Only half a bottle left....:lol:.

I'm hopeful I can get into the big D and pick up another bottle of the Sour Mash before they're all gone! I'll have to look for the cumin next time I have a pour. Only half a bottle left....:lol:.

two stores had it last time i looked, about a month or two ago. they don't seem to be moving fast.

The E.H. Taylor Tornado Bourbon arrived in Frankfort yesterday. It's very good and different from the previous Taylor releases. It has the feel of a non-chill filtered bourbon. Very full-bodied.

The E.H. Taylor Tornado Bourbon arrived in Frankfort yesterday. It's very good and different from the previous Taylor releases. It has the feel of a non-chill filtered bourbon. Very full-bodied.

Picked up a bottle of this today. Haven't opened yet but plan to very soon. Sounds like a good one from all reports so far!

I scored myself a bottle of the tornado version the other day after the praise some of you guys have given it. It is delicious and I will likely be grabbing another one.

Where is the tornado version currently being sold?

Come and (for the most part) gone from No. KY.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.