E.H Taylor Bourbons

cgbakerjr
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

They should finally be in Chicago on Friday. I'm excited to get a taste.:grin:

• 1 month later...

Any new info on how many bottles were released? Earlier in this thread Oscar reported only approx. 30 cases were released. Is this holding true? I'm considering getting a bottle or two.

I thought I heard somewhere around 2000 or so bottles. Put it this way I was told Maryland got only 6 or 7 cases of 6. One of my sources was out almost right away.

If I may be so conceited, let me refer you here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15651

Re-commence discussion.

No "conceit" taken. I appreciate the reference and the fine review!

I thought I heard somewhere around 2000 or so bottles. Put it this way I was told Maryland got only 6 or 7 cases of 6. One of my sources was out almost right away.

Sounds like tight allocation indeed. Thanks!

Harlen Wheatley said they made 30 barrels.

So does 30 barrels roughly equate into approx. 2000 bottles? Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll be getting a bottle or two.

So does 30 barrels roughly equate into approx. 2000 bottles? Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll be getting a bottle or two.

30 barrels x 66.6 = 1998 bottles. If they used standard size barrel,

that seems to be a real low end yield per barrel. Bigger angel's share

than normal or smaller barrels used?...

From what I heard came to the entire state of Minnesota and what Binnys got I have a hard time believing it was 2000 bottles. BT may be inflating the numbers just to make themselves sound better because what I hear is not only are retailers upset about the minuscule numbers, but distributors aren't happy wasting their time for something of this small an allocation either.

Have to admit they do have a point, it's really not worth the time they spend on it to get and sell two bottles.

Figure for evaporation 7% in year one, 4% each year thereafter. The EHT is 9 years old. Also remember that it's bottled at 100 proof, which reduces the yield relative to 80 proof. Two-thousand is also a round estimate of bottles release for sale, probably developed before the barrels were actually dumped. They also probably held back a few cases for their own purposes. I'm sure they used standard 53-gallon barrels.

All good info. Thanks to all for chiming in. My appetite to order a couple bottles is now whetted.

There were approximately 3000 bottles. About 450 6-bottle cases. It's worth buying if you find some.

There were approximately 3000 bottles. About 450 6-bottle cases. It's worth buying if you find some.

Thanks Fred! I have three bottles with one opened. I really like this Taylor. I received a call on Friday from my liquor store telling me they will have some more available this week. I will add a few more to the bunker.

I found a bottle of this nearby over the weekend and was contemplating buying it. After reading the thread it seems like a rare find and something I should pick up.

With a budget for VW stuff in the next month should I cut into my budget with a bottle of EH Taylor?

I found a bottle of this nearby over the weekend and was contemplating buying it. After reading the thread it seems like a rare find and something I should pick up.

With a budget for VW stuff in the next month should I cut into my budget with a bottle of EH Taylor?

It's different than pretty much every bourbon I've had but not really in a bad way. I think the finish is a bit sour but not bad and overall it is a good bourbon that you may not find around again if you don't get it now so I would say grab a bottle or try it somewhere if possible and see what you think. Then grab another if you really like it and can find another.

Just had a taste of this. It's good, it's not worth paying much over asking price, and realistically as a regular production item the cost should be greatly reduced. Since it's not though, I'll let the $70 be neither here nor there.

Nice, straightforward nose - wood and a bit of grain, a little sweetness - more corn than anything to my nose. Moderate wood on the palate with a bit of sweeter light vanilla notes peeking through, a gentle dusting of spice. Moderately warming. There's a bit of rye in there and some sourness in the finish that is kind of new make-y but it's not very pronounced, again with the medium wood and spice and hints of vanilla on the finish.

A good enough experiment and it could certainly have its niche.

I'd put it somewhere in the B, B- range. Worth trying to snag a sample, not worth overpaying for, but it could be a great one for some folks.

• 2 weeks later...

Paid too much for a pour of this tonight since I finally saw a bottle on the top shelf of a local bar. It's striking--that big rounded sweetness followed by the odd, slightly sour finish. Definitely on its own level in some ways. If I saw a bottle I'd grab it, but I doubt that's in the cards any longer.

Georgia is really slow to get new spirits so this just arrived a couple days ago. Picked up my bottle on Friday.

• 2 weeks later...
Paid too much for a pour of this tonight since I finally saw a bottle on the top shelf of a local bar. It's striking--that big rounded sweetness followed by the odd, slightly sour finish. Definitely on its own level in some ways. If I saw a bottle I'd grab it, but I doubt that's in the cards any longer.

I also tried this at a bar nearby (Russell House Tavern in Harvard Sq) after seeing it on their shelf. I paid $10.50 for a half pour.

It was pretty good. Smooth with that sour finish. I'm glad I got to try a small pour rather than drop $80 on a full bottle. While I thought it was good I don't think I'd go for a bottle.

That's where I got it too, and my mind is now blown because the thought of a half-pour has never occurred to me before.

• 2 months later...

Passing through the Chicago burbs and found a couple bottles on the shelf at Binnys. Am contemplating a return this morning to pick one up....

Craig

I found a place that has (now one less) bottles as well, and I'm pretty sure they didn't have any before. Was there a small re-release?

Illinois law prevents chains like Binny's from moving product between stores so they don't necessarily push their whole allocation out to the stores at once. They'll buy it but physically leave it at the distributor for distribution later when it has started to sell through. The last thing they want is a bare shelf in South Loop and ten bottles on a shelf in Algonquin.

Craig was talking about Binny's. But in every case, everything doesn't always flow straight to retail. Producers call something a sell-out when their warehouse is empty. That doesn't necessarily mean, and usually doesn't mean, that everything has been pushed through the distributors out to retail.

Plus retailers sometimes hold bottles for customers that customers don't pick up and those go back onto the shelf. There are lots of reasons why a retailer can be out of a limited edition and suddenly get more, without the producer necessarily releasing more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.