E.H Taylor Bourbons

cgbakerjr
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 4 weeks later...

What was the average price for the first release? I found it in a store for $100. How inflated is that?

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a sour mash today for $70. Plenty left on the shelf. No sightings of the single barrel yet.

Snagged a bottle for about $60 last weekend. I really did not know what to expect, but the bourbon itself tasted light and maybe even a little thin. I'll revisit it sometime later to see if I form another opinion.

Often people try these special products thinking they are going to have some kind of epiphany. That they are going to taste something that just sparkles with its superiority.

That misses the point.

The best way to enjoy the sour mash, for example, is to taste it opposite something like Buffalo Trace, knowing that the only difference between them is the way the mash was soured. This helps you gain more appreciation for what yeast contributes to the whiskey's flavor.

You may like one or the other of them better, but that's not the point. The point is to increase your knowledge and understanding of the complex and wonderful processes that make bourbon whiskey what it is.

Often people try these special products thinking they are going to have some kind of epiphany. That they are going to taste something that just sparkles with its superiority.

That misses the point.

The best way to enjoy the sour mash, for example, is to taste it opposite something like Buffalo Trace, knowing that the only difference between them is the way the mash was soured. This helps you gain more appreciation for what yeast contributes to the whiskey's flavor.

You may like one or the other of them better, but that's not the point. The point is to increase your knowledge and understanding of the complex and wonderful processes that make bourbon whiskey what it is.

Well said but if you make me grab the dictionary one more time I swear I'll....

I found the sour mash and single barrels very similar and not that interesting. Certainly decent enough bourbon, but I won't spend that kind of money again on future bottlings until I taste first. One other comment is that despite Old Taylor having been made at Beam in recent years, to me it always had a different character to other Beam products, notably in its thinnish body and straw-like color. I found both the E.H. Taylors more similar in taste to those Beam Taylors than to the typical Trace palate, showing better age clearly but still similar in profile. I don't know if that was intentional when they were selected or not. (I couldn't get any real difference from the differing mashing methods in the E.H. Taylors, but other palates might).

Gary

That misses the point.

Knowledge is priceless.

So is, if you believe MasterCard, getting your body parts pierced along with your teenage adolescent.

(I made this up... I think.)

Half-inch butterfly tattoo on daughter's shoulder .... $40

Daughter's navel piercing ... $35

Look on daughter's face when she sees your new nipple rings ... priceless.

• 1 month later...

Buffalo Trace is doing a good job of getting people in the habit of thinking of E. H. Taylor as an enthusiast brand. They're preparing us for better things to come under that banner.

• 3 weeks later...

So Chuck, is the newest release supposed to teach us about the effect of extreme weather on whiskey? Or perhaps it's a lesson on global warming :lol:

BUFFALO TRACE DISTILLERY RELEASES LATEST WHISKEY IN COLONEL E.H. TAYLOR, JR. COLLECTION –

WAREHOUSE C TORNADO SURVIVING BOURBON

FRANKFORT, FRANKLIN COUNTY, KY (Jan. 5, 2012) – It was a Sunday evening, April 2, 2006, when a severe storm tore through Central Kentucky, damaging two Buffalo Trace Distillery aging warehouses. Fortunately, no one was injured and Warehouse “B†was empty at the time. However, Warehouse “C†sustained significant damage to its roof and north brick wall. Warehouse “C†is one of the most treasured warehouses on property, built by Colonel Edmund Haynes Taylor, Jr. in 1881. This historic aging warehouse stores more than 24,000 prized bourbon barrels in its ricks. It is also a favorite warehouse for tourists; its century-old wooden beams and pungent aroma of bourbon make it an ideal stop for the 55,000-plus tourists that visit Buffalo Trace Distillery each year.

Throughout the strong storm that raged across the Distillery, the bourbon barrels stood strong, never budging from their resting spots. Patiently they waited while the roof and wall repairs took place that summer. The barrels sat exposed to the central Kentucky climate for months as the sun and wind took their toll.

Finally in late 2011, those same barrels were tasted and the bourbon was married into a single batch dubbed “Warehouse C Tornado Surviving Bourbon.†It was only fitting this bourbon would be released under the Colonel E. H. Taylor, Jr. moniker, as he was a bourbon industry survivor himself. Taylor owned and lost more than seven distilleries in his lifetime and built many of the buildings at Buffalo Trace Distillery, including the storm damaged Warehouses B and C.

All of the 93 Tornado Surviving Bourbon barrels were located on the top two floors of Warehouse C, and were at least 9 years, 8 months old when dumped; many of them were as old as 11 years, 11 months old. Like the previous two E. H. Taylor, Jr. releases, the Tornado Surviving Bourbon is “Bottled in Bond†at 100 proof.

This Rye Mash #1 recipe bourbon has the aroma of dried fig and cloves that jump from the glass initially along with plenty of baking spice. An oaky dryness provides balance, which quickly builds the anticipation for a taste. A small sip fills the mouth with jam-like cooked fruit, vanilla, and a touch of smoke. The finish quickly builds in dark spices until the end as hints of tobacco leave you with the final impressions of this bourbon.

During the summer of 2006 the sun and weather inevitably contributed to increased evaporation, wood interaction and rich flavors in this bourbon whiskey. The angel’s share amounted to an astonishingly high 63.9% loss.

“A robust and flavorful palate from beginning to end. This bourbon is unusually rich†said Kris Comstock at Buffalo Trace Distillery. “Typically bourbons at this age from upper floors will have a woody flavor due to the higher temperatures. These Tornado Surviving barrels are well rounded and quite tasty.â€

The Warehouse C Tornado Surviving Bourbon is the third in the line of the E. H. Taylor, Jr. collection of whiskeys to be released over the next few years. It joins the Old Fashioned Sour Mash Bourbon and the Single Barrel Bourbon, which Buffalo Trace Distillery released in 2011. Like the other two releases, this Tornado Surviving Bourbon will have very limited availability and will be packaged in a similar vintage label and canister, which are reminiscent of Taylor’s bottles nearly one hundred years ago.

Taylor is widely considered one of the founding fathers of the bourbon industry, fighting for the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897, nearly three decades after he purchased the now Buffalo Trace Distillery. During his time, Taylor implemented several innovative methods still used today by Buffalo Trace, such as climate controlled aging warehouses. In addition to his bourbon interests, Taylor had political ties. He was the great-nephew of President Zachary Taylor and elected the mayor of Frankfort, state representative to the Kentucky General Assembly and a member of the State Senate.

The E.H. Taylor, Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving Bourbon will be available for $69.99 per 750ml bottle.

Also, can someone explain something to me... they note that the bourbons in this bottle are of different ages. Doesn't it all have to be from one distilling season to be considered "Bottled in Bond"?

Yes bonded whiskey is from the same year and same season. If they dump it all together, it should not be labeled "bonded", but if they bottle the different ages as seperat expressions, they can call it bonded.

Mike Veach

So Chuck, is the newest release supposed to teach us about the effect of extreme weather on whiskey? Or perhaps it's a lesson on global warming :lol:

It was going to be called "Kentucky Phoenix" but Glenfiddich got upset...

Yes bonded whiskey is from the same year and same season. If they dump it all together, it should not be labeled "bonded", but if they bottle the different ages as separate expressions, they can call it bonded.

Mike Veach

That was my first guess as well Mike, but then the press release says:

'Finally in late 2011, those same barrels were tasted and the bourbon was married into a single batch dubbed “Warehouse C Tornado Surviving Bourbon.â€'

Oops!!

That was my first guess as well Mike, but then the press release says:

'Finally in late 2011, those same barrels were tasted and the bourbon was married into a single batch dubbed “Warehouse C Tornado Surviving Bourbon.â€'

Oops!!

My thoughts exactly

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.