What bourbon are you drinking? - Spring 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My vatting of circa-20 bourbons and 1 straight rye (Baby Saz), with bitters added. I keep trying to make it better, and with the level down 1/4 in the bottle (70's Benchmark bottle) I topped it up with some ND OT 86 proof and a dash of 1792. I added more Angostura, too. I think it's very good now and may leave it as is. This is coming to Gazebo together with a pint of my perfected Manhattan (the base of which is similar to the "Benchmark" but with some Canadian whisky added) and I'm still thinking about whether to bring that Jack SB I've been mentioning. The bottle design is so clunky and heavy, the one thing I don't like about it.

Gary

VWFRR has been the front runner for the last few nights. Down to less than a 1/4 left in bottle. Was a "H" serial number in case anybody was wondering.

Need to replenish stock after this, fortunately there are a couple available that I know of.

Tonight I am having Old Charter 10 year old. I have never had it and so far I like it. Will finish the night with several pours of Bakers which I have also not had before.

Had a vatting of Redemption and David Nicholson, 1792, and now Lot B. Hoping for an Illini comeback against KU.

Settling down with a pour of ND OGD 114. This really is a beautiful whiskey. And, so very, very different from the current iteration. This has more of that old timey sherryish, cognacish, dark fruitish characteristic to it. The current, as I've described many times, has that burnt corner of the browniepan thing going on. Both, though, are fabulous.

Templeton rye while watching hoops during a heck of a Spring thunderstorm.

Sorry...didn't realize there was a new thread

Trying Very Special Old Fitz 12 yr. tonight. Upon the first sip I'm not too impressed. Decent initial taste, kind of sweet, but it disappears very quickly. To me it tastes very light, even for a 90 proofer, and unless it opens up a lot it will probably be relegated to the "mixer cabinet" for guests.

Finished off the evening with RHF as I watched the Jayhawks win. At least I got one pick right this evening!

For me, it's a good ol' 1.75L PET of Ancient Age and a 2L of Dr. Pepper.

In all fairness, I like the AA neat, too. But, bourbon and Dr. Pepper is my favorite Highball, and I'm certainly not going to use my Four Roses Single Barrel or Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve in it!

I've worked the past 7 days but today I'm off so I started the day with a little WLW 117.9. A great way to start the day. I think I'll go out for breakfast and enjoy my day.

I do have some errands to run while I'm out.

2010 GTS. Extra yum. Every time I open a bottle I seem to like it more than the last. Even going back and forth between years.

It's one that really re-aligns the scale for me. Drinking other bourbons, prior to and after a glass of GTS, seems like a feeble attempt at drinking.

I know this is not bourbon but I bought a bottle of Mellow Corn when I was in Arkansas. If I had not poured it I would have thought it was Old Granddad 114. Anyone else get this? I then moved onto a pour of Baker's and will finish the night with Blanton's.

ETL SB right now. May just stop w/ that but not sure I can resist a little pour of WLW after how good it tasted the other night...seems like it gets a bit better every time.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!