What bourbon are you drinking? - Spring 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Drive like mad in snow and rain from Commack, NY to Philly to try and catch my 4:30 flight back home.

No gas stations W/I a gazillion miles of airport... Waste 30 minutes driving around. $75 for 1/2 tank of gas from Avis. Insult to injury there is a Sunoco refinery right next to airport.

Just make it in...flight cancelled.

Put on 5:45...delayed to 6:19. Great, I'll go to the bar for a good bourbon. Best they have is WT 80 proof and JBW...$12 a pop. That's OK, I think...Woodford on the flight, and just $7 each. I tell myself, I can wait.

6:19 backs away from gate at 6:55.

While backing out from gate, we hit something... No explanation given...whoops, I guess.

While taxiing out for take off, we stop. Pilot tells us we are grounded for 1 hour due to weather.

Pilot chimes in 20 minutes later that they have "new" route that will have us missing the bad stuff.

Whoops, again. Pilot tells us "sorry for extremely bumpy flight, we just can't find any smooth air, so no drink service for flight...oh...sorry..".

4 people barf during flight.

Finally land...proceed to sit on Tarmac outside our gate B24 for 35 minutes due to congestion.

Home at 12:20.....

What the Sam Hill do you think I'm drinkin'!!!!!!!!!

Stagg, dang it !!!!!!!!

Somehow, I'm feelin' better

Tasting through a few EW SB 1988 through 1991.... all pretty pedestrian and a few flat out uninspiring. IMO one of the most over marketed and under performing bourbon offerings.

Been bouncing back and forth between bourbon, Irish whiskey and single malts in recent weeks (though not on the same nights!). Last night I decided to go with VSOF 12 from the BHC. This bottle is different than the last one I had and is more pruney and cognac-like for some reason. Very nice, just the same.

Guest wripvanwrinkle

Rittenhouse Rye 21. A wonderful nose with up front bubble gum sweetness. For me though, the taste never delivers. Too bitter, too little rye.

Old Rip 107pr. Some days it's a bit rough and I'll cut it slightly, but tonight it's going down like water.

Cedar Ridge, Old Pogue and ER17 09. Random night. My bet on the Badgers is looking ugly....

After the WT101 went to PHC 10yr '10, now I'm really enjoying some Bookers neat. Bookers and WT really hit the spot tonight.

OGD BiB was a bit spiritous tonight. Added a splash of water and it evened out a bit.

I have been enjoying an old handle of Colonel Lee BIB from what appears to be 1991. In the bottle it almost appears black but as you can see in the glass with some side light it is a gorgeous caramel color. The whiskey is very good.... big, rich and sweet.

I don't know much more about this but have never seen it before. This came from a store in Maryland.

post-1354-14489817203719_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817204189_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817204644_thumb.jpg

Reid, how would you compare it to Ridgemont Reserve 1792, a different mash bill I know, but is there a family connection?

Gaty

Reid, how would you compare it to Ridgemont Reserve 1792, a different mash bill I know, or to VOB 100 proof, is there a family connection?

Gaty

Reid, how would you compare it to Ridgemont Reserve 1792, a different mash bill I know, or to VOB 100 proof, is there a family connection?

Gaty

I can't say for now but years ago Col. Lee was good stuff, not expensive, and a good example of what BIB stood for.

ORVW 10/107 2002 on the train back home after 2 days in our capital city Stockholm. Lots of good eating and drinking there for sure, but this bourbon beats most of it.

Leif

Guest wripvanwrinkle

Mixed 2/3 Bulleit Rye to 1/3 Rittenhouse Rye 21. I very much like result. In the nose, the fruitiness of the Ritt is maintained with a little of the bubble gum sweetness. I think that the Ritt really benefits from the young rye.

Darn, the 30ml dram dissapeared while i was typing this.

I have been enjoying an old handle of Colonel Lee BIB from what appears to be 1991. In the bottle it almost appears black but as you can see in the glass with some side light it is a gorgeous caramel color. The whiskey is very good.... big, rich and sweet.

I don't know much more about this but have never seen it before. This came from a store in Maryland.

Very nice! I like that Big Green Egg I see through the window also!

Very nice! I like that Big Green Egg I see through the window also!

LOL!!! It is getting to be that BGE time of year.....

WTAS neat, got it at a steal and couldn't help but open it to celebrate the purchase.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!