What Beer Are You Drinking? - Fall 2011

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wake Up Dead Imperial Stout from Left Hand, seriously great beer. Most of left hand's brews I don't care for, but their stouts are always fantastic.

Well, the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout supposedly is aged in PVW barrels. That might be a decent beer :)

The BCS Rare was aged in Pappy 23 barrels, which were then used again to age King Henry. Both were one-offs.

The regular BCS is aged in barrels from Heaven Hill.

Had Life & Limb 2, the collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head. It was stunning, I need to go see if they have more!

Had a Stone 15 yeaterday. I have a love/hate relationshio with Black IPAs, and yesterday was one of the hate days. I love dark roasty beers, and I really love hops,but together they just don't quite get there for me.

had a bottle of Lost Coast Tangerine (wheat beer).

Great orange taste!!

will be buying another 6 pack tomorrow. and a Downtown Brown (also L.C.)

TangbeerBR.jpg

had some Goose Island while I was in Chicago, and I'm now a convert! The Pere Jacques that I had was the first beer that I've had which I truly enjoyed on its own... a bomber went down easy, with a pleasant richness on the palate and smooth, sweet malty notes that would be delicious for any whiskey lover. I've since sampled the Matilda (wild yeasty note, nice sour refreshing flavor), Fleur (great floral notes... brewed with hibiscus), Sofie (tart, citrusy, nice), and Pepe Nero (dark, smooth, with a hint of delicious spice from the peppercorns). Have a bottle of the Madame Rose that I'm saving to share with a beer-loving friend. Overall, a wonderful experience, and I'm definitely going to seek out more beer from now on. I've since tried the Affliget blond, which was good if not especially memorable; the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, which was a little too bitter for my tastes [still a novice beer aficionado], and a Lefthand Milk Stout, which was absurdly creamy and delicious. If only the Goose Island Bourbon County Stouts were more readily available...

Tonight I am treating myself and opened a Bruery Melange 3. Its a blend of a ridiculous imperial stout, wheatwine, and an old/strong ale brewed using the solera method. I think the three individual parts are barrel aged, then blended, then rebarreled. I professed this as my favorite beer a couple of years ago when I first had it. I went through a lot of trouble to get some this year. I am glad that I did. This beer is absolutely amazing. Deep oak, caramel, vanilla, chocolate, and warm figs on the nose. The taste is layered thick. There is a lot going on here. Dark fruits, brown sugar, oak tannins, caramel, vanilla, semi sweet chocolate, slight bourbon influence, and a little birthday cake. You can't smell any alcohol for it weighing in at 15% but you know its got to be a higher abv by having this level of ingredients in it. I would drink this everyday if I could. If I had to sum it up with one word, it would have to be "Damn!"

Had lunch with a customer today at the Stone Brewery in Escondido. Enjoyed a 2011 Double Bastard and the Cali-Belgique IPA. Both were delicious, but as great as they were, paled in comparison to the "Mac and Beer Cheese" I had to eat and the drop-dead gorgeous venue of that brewery with it's outdoor seating and large garden. Simply stunning. If I worked near there, I think I would be a daily visitor.

Great Lakes' Conway's Irish Ale is in the stores. I fell in love with this stuff last year and was devastated that it was only a temporary seasonal. I'm thrilled to have it fresh again, but I must remark that this year's batch is leaving me with a bit of a different impression; it's creamier and carries more sweetness than the taut brew of last year. It's still close to a perfect session-able beer for me (checking in at 6.5% ABV), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

My favorites of the past few nights are:

Founders Breakfast Stout

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

Bell's Best Brown Ale

Great Lakes Burning River

Anybody get their hands on the Bell's Hopslam? It was all gone by the time I went to pick some up (which was the night it was released in GA).

Anybody get their hands on the Bell's Hopslam? It was all gone by the time I went to pick some up (which was the night it was released in GA).

I had one at a buddies house. We had just spent 8 hours brewing a pre-prohibition ale and trying a lot of the home brews he had stored up. He pulled the hopsslam out after dinner. It was full assault of hops on the palette. Wooooo! It took me a coupe of drinks to adjust to it but it was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried this one for the first time last night as part of a mixed sixer. Sweet and creamy definitely summed it up for me. I haven't had many Great Lakes offerings (which is odd, considering my love of breweries from the Great Lakes region), but I definitely picked up a resemblance to the Christmas Ale, minus the ginger and cinnamon.

Great Lakes' Conway's Irish Ale is in the stores. I fell in love with this stuff last year and was devastated that it was only a temporary seasonal. I'm thrilled to have it fresh again, but I must remark that this year's batch is leaving me with a bit of a different impression; it's creamier and carries more sweetness than the taut brew of last year. It's still close to a perfect session-able beer for me (checking in at 6.5% ABV), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

Tried this one for the first time last night as part of a mixed sixer. Sweet and creamy definitely summed it up for me. I haven't had many Great Lakes offerings (which is odd, considering my love of breweries from the Great Lakes region), but I definitely picked up a resemblance to the Christmas Ale, minus the ginger and cinnamon.

I find a family resemblance in all Great Lakes beers I've had, much more so than beers from any other distillery I'm familiar with. There's a water minerality to them that I'm really keen on.

I'm trying to get into the Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout -- had my second last night, and just wasn't "feeling" it. It's sweet, it's a bit malty, it's easygoing...and leaves me wanting something more.

I like the few cream stouts I've had (Sam Adams, Bell's Double), and it's my understanding that cream and milk stouts are both so labelled due to the use of lactose. So what am I missing with the well-respected Left Hand?

I need to get some Hopslam sent to CA. I ended up with 24 bottles last year. Headed to get Pliny The Younger on draft at the brewery tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

IMAG0458.jpg

IMAG0465.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg

all good. the Leiney loses its head fast and is a little thin, but quite nutty.

the Boont was quite tasty; spicy.

I find a family resemblance in all Great Lakes beers I've had, much more so than beers from any other distillery I'm familiar with. There's a water minerality to them that I'm really keen on.

I'm a big fan of Great Lakes Brewery. There isn't much I don't like from them.

Another brand/brewery I find has a "house" profile is Sierra Nevada. Every offering I've tried from them has that signature dry/bitter/overly hoppy note to it.

I like dry and hoppy..... to a point, but this brewery is over the top with the bitter, hoppy thing, IMO.

Too preoccupied to respond last night, but was drinking Shiner and Lone Star to celebrate Texas Independence Day, even though I live in Georgia. When people ask where I am from, my wife responds that I am from Texas for me! :cool: Best of both worlds!:grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.