What Beer Are You Drinking? - Fall 2011

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had some Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic earlier today as well as some Shiner Cheer with brisket this evening. Good beers for Christmas Eve.

Going to have a beer tasting tonight... here's what's on the menu so far

RRBC Pliny the Elder

Sam Adams Infinium

Mikkeller "It's Alive"

Mikkeler Monk's Brew

Deschutes Stoic Quad

DFH Midas Touch

Might have a couple others join the party by tonight :grin:

Had a few pints of Founders Breakfast Stout tonight, so much going on in this beer. Pretty big also, especially drinking multiple, thus the lack of a "what bourbon are you enjoying tonight" post.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed a few Sweetwater 420s tonight while out with a buddy from high school that was in town for work.

I'll tell you what, this Hopslam from Bell's is pretty slamming! That gooey hop smacks your tongue and brings that nice, chill numb, like what you get when you're standing on fastly vibrating ground or holding some kind of vibrating something.

It's brewed with honey, which I don't need, but it does add a pleasant note to the 10% abv.

I'll tell you what, this Hopslam from Bell's is pretty slamming! That gooey hop smacks your tongue and brings that nice, chill numb, like what you get when you're standing on fastly vibrating ground or holding some kind of vibrating something.

It's brewed with honey, which I don't need, but it does add a pleasant note to the 10% abv.

The January Hopslam release is a hophead's equivalent to the VW/BTAC release. Big, chewy, hoppy goodness. I bought a minikeg last year, no luck in finding one so far in '12.

I shared a Dogfish 120min IPA with a friend tonight. I hadn't had it in a number of years and now I remember why. The hype train got the best of us and we took the plunge on it. What an aweful, syrupy, hot mess! There was no balance (that may be the point, I'm not sure) and it was hardly drinkable. I had a real hard time getting through 6 ounces of it. I won't bother to purchase that one again and wouldn't ever suggest anyone else does. I don't even see the value in this being educational or experimental. It just plain sucks.

I shared a Dogfish 120min IPA with a friend tonight. I hadn't had it in a number of years and now I remember why. The hype train got the best of us and we took the plunge on it. What an aweful, syrupy, hot mess! There was no balance (that may be the point, I'm not sure) and it was hardly drinkable. I had a real hard time getting through 6 ounces of it. I won't bother to purchase that one again and wouldn't ever suggest anyone else does. I don't even see the value in this being educational or experimental. It just plain sucks.

IPAs are always super hoppy, I can't get past that part myself. I typically prefer maltier beers like Bocks and Weissbiers. Tonight I am drinking anything, but I just finished off 2 5 gallon batches of beer I am brewing.

Had a home brew barrel aged chocolate oatmeal stout. Wow was there a lot going on in there. Was better as warmed up a bit. Going to participate in the next brewing session so I can walk away with some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent Sunday brewing a pre-prohibition ale for fundraiser party in April. Enjoyed quite a bit of his stock over the 8 hour period. Will gladly offer a helping hand any time he needs it as the beer was as good as commercially available beer if not better.

Great divide Yeti - oak aged espresso imperial stout. Fortunately had a good friend swing by to share the big 22oz with. Yum!

Got a 12 pack of Shiner Bock from my mom, had the first bottle from it and it tastes pretty bland for a bock, maybe I am just used to doppelbocks too much.

I picked up some Hopslam after learning of its arrival through twitter. Good thing I checked early too 'cause the store was sold out in an hour with a 2 six-pack limit. Well...I think you're begging for disappointment with anything as hyped as Hopslam and, after cracking a bottle, I thought it was....good. Okay, very good. Best in class? No way! I still dream of the bottle of Bootlegger's Knuckle Sandwich I came across by chance over the holidays. As a side note, I shared the Hopslam with a couple friends tonight and a cat-owner took a whiff and exclaimed "this smells just like cat piss!" She then took a sip and said it was the best beer she's ever had. I've heard of getting urine when nosing beer before, but I don't know if I'd be able to get past that. As an anatomist I pick up formaldehyde in food and drink from time to time and that's a deal breaker.

I bought a few craft beers the other day including Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, Rogue John John Juniper and Rogue John John Dead Guy. While I love Dogfish Head's 60 and 90-minute IPA's I couldn't stand the World Wide Stout. It was like barleywine or something to me. And I typically like stouts. The World Wide Stout was just too much, though (I actually poured it out... $8 down the drain!) Rogue's John John Juniper was ok. There was a flavor on the back end that I didn't care for but it was definitely an interesting brew. And tonight I'm drinking the John John Dead Guy. The regular Dead Guy Ale is probably my favorite beer. Period. So I was anxious to try this one considering that it's aged in whiskey barrels (much like the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale brewed by Alltech here in Lexington). It has a similar profile to the Bourbon Barrel Ale but tastes more complex, in my opinion. Of the few beers I've had that were aged in used bourbon/whiskey barrels the John John is definitely the best.

I bought a few craft beers the other day including Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, Rogue John John Juniper and Rogue John John Dead Guy. While I love Dogfish Head's 60 and 90-minute IPA's I couldn't stand the World Wide Stout. It was like barleywine or something to me. And I typically like stouts. The World Wide Stout was just too much, though (I actually poured it out... $8 down the drain!) Rogue's John John Juniper was ok. There was a flavor on the back end that I didn't care for but it was definitely an interesting brew. And tonight I'm drinking the John John Dead Guy. The regular Dead Guy Ale is probably my favorite beer. Period. So I was anxious to try this one considering that it's aged in whiskey barrels (much like the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale brewed by Alltech here in Lexington). It has a similar profile to the Bourbon Barrel Ale but tastes more complex, in my opinion. Of the few beers I've had that were aged in used bourbon/whiskey barrels the John John is definitely the best.

Well, the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout supposedly is aged in PVW barrels. That might be a decent beer :)

I was ecstatic to find Sweetwater's "Exodus Porter" yesterday at my local shop. I haven't seen it in a couple of years, as I think they discontinued it. They must be bringing it back. Good for me, as it was probably my favorite Porters out there. Drinking one now while waiting for the next round of thunderstorms to roll through. The thing I like about the EP is it's balance of sweetness and bitterness. Just, so nicely balanced. I am very happy to see this beer around again. It's like welcoming back a long lost friend. 2012, in a number of ways, is starting off very well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.