What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a cherry-infused bourbon/WT rye cocktail followed by some Weller 12. The Weller is totally amazing me tonight with a chocolate note on the finish that I haven't noticed before. Good stuff ...

Sipping on some EC-18 after a long day at work.It's hitting the spot tonight.It has a great mid-palate with a very long finish.

Regards,Mike

P.S.I meet some folk from Heaven Hill this weekend.Stocks are getting low on EC-18.So if you like this you might want to put a few in the bunker before a price increase come down the road.

Couple glasses of OWA107 left in my old label bottle before flying home in the morning. The cleaning person might enough for a breakfast sip in the morning if I can't finish it.

After a tiring day, I allowed myself to feast upon some PVW15 '09: like an oily cloud fluffing me up to rain on down. I followed that with a yesteryear bottle of Lot B, followed by the exotic seduction of FRLESmB '10 and finally a wee bit of recent ORVW 10/107: only a slight step down from the '11 Pappy15.

Life is good. No, let me restate that: Life carries all the potential we have in this world, and it hurts like a motherf*#$er. Bourbon is good.

A current Four Roses Yellow Label. It has a perfect balance of maturity and the trademark fruity flavor. I sampled it next to the 4R Small Batch 90 proof and found it, by comparison, too heavy on the wood.

IMO, the Yellow Label is one of the best bourbons on the market today, at a very low price in comparison to many others which don't come close to it.

The only thing I'd change is to add a bonded version of it, or 100 proof version sans the bonding, to the range.

Gary

Tonight I'm sipping some VSOF. I really like this pour. I really like OFitz BIB also. But both don't come close to the kickass PHC wheater. So we know HH can do really quality wheat bourbon, but why not all the time, not just with the limited edition?

Finished off a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel, then opened my first bottle of Rock Hill Farms. Very nice!

A current Four Roses Yellow Label. It has a perfect balance of maturity and the trademark fruity flavor. I sampled it next to the 4R Small Batch 90 proof and found it, by comparison, too heavy on the wood.

IMO, the Yellow Label is one of the best bourbons on the market today, at a very low price in comparison to many others which don't come close to it.

The only thing I'd change is to add a bonded version of it, or 100 proof version sans the bonding, to the range.

Gary

Thanks Gary. I've been hesitant to buy based on a few unfavorable reviews. Now its on my list. BTW - I love the 4R1B but its hard to find at a decent price.

Bill

Sipping on some Elijah Craig 18yr. Barreled on 11-28-89, barrel #3729. It's nothing special, imho. But not bad by any means.

Had a healthy pour of EWSB '00, now a pour of OFBB '11 with a Perdomo between lines of thunderstorms, just how my Dad would be celebrating his birthday if they had some rain in N. Texas!

I finished off a bottle of FR 2010 LE SmB, then had a couple different OWA single barrel pours. A very nice evening.

Had a healthy pour of EWSB '00, now a pour of OFBB '11 with a Perdomo between lines of thunderstorms, just how my Dad would be celebrating his birthday if they had some rain in N. Texas!

Josh, how do you like the OFBB' 11. I passed on this last weekend because hadn't heard any feedback. I have several other years, 2002 and 2008, which are very good ....intense rye....and a long rye sweet finish.

Bill.

This morning I'm enjoying a WLW 117.9 aside my coffee.

It seems that I drink more bourbon in the morning on my off days than any other time.

Josh, how do you like the OFBB' 11. I passed on this last weekend because hadn't heard any feedback. I have several other years, 2002 and 2008, which are very good ....intense rye....and a long rye sweet finish.

Bill.[/quoteI]

Bill, for what it's worth I liked it. Not as much as the 2010 but it's still tasty.

http://whiskeyapostle.com/2012/01/old-forester-birthday-bourbon-2011/

Just going to quickly say I really like almost all the bourbon I've tried this year....just to get this thread off 666 replies. Creeping me out, man.

Trying my first Pappy 15 tonight, I'm guessing it'll be pretty good.

Currently on hand a Jefferson Presidential 18 year Batch 30 I think from memory? Very good stuff and glad I asked for it for Christmas but not something I would buy again for the price. Also ORVW 10 yr/90 also for Christmas..about a half a glass left.

Bill.

The '11 is its own whiskey compared to the '08, which i enjoyed too. Seems to be more oak to this one. It has that sweetness but the oak cuts it short. Nonetheless i have enjoyed it. I think i know where an 08 resides, may get it this wknd if still there.

Bill.[/quoteI]

Bill, for what it's worth I liked it. Not as much as the 2010 but it's still tasty.

http://whiskeyapostle.com/2012/01/old-forester-birthday-bourbon-2011/

I haven't had the '10 but have heard good things about it.

Sipping on some OFBB 2011. Never had any of their earlier ones. This is quite lovely. Full of flavor and complexity.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.