What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tried some BH for the first time. Thought it was very flavorful for an 80 proofer, which surprised me. I still don't think I'll pick up a bottle for the prices they're charging, but it was much better than I expected.

From there I moved on to M46, then VSOF. Now enjoying some ND Old Crow. Speaking of flavorful for an 80 proofer! This has some wonderful brown sugar and nutmeg going on. At 100 proof, this would be amazing. It's so sad that OC is just a shadow of what it once was. I still don't understand why any distillery would want to take something this good and turn it into crap.

Last night my quartet rehearsed at my place. Afterwards, I poured them some VWFRR, Ezra B 12, and WLW '09, along with a variety of Schell's beers.

I don't think they wanted to leave!

Last night my quartet rehearsed at my place. Afterwards, I poured them some VWFRR, Ezra B 12, and WLW '09, along with a variety of Schell's beers.

I don't think they wanted to leave!

Vintage Bourbon 17.

Since my positive notes a while back, I'm now into my third bottle. I can report some major variance bottle-to-bottle, though even the weaker one was still fairly solid.

My second bottle was much lighter: dominant peanut on the nose with a mustier, thinner finish. Still fine juice, but certainly short of the first one. Basically a competent, one-note wheater. But this third bottle is the best of the bunch: creamy, lively, and a huge oaky finish. Tasting #2 and #3 back-to-back, there's a striking difference. Unfortunately, KBD doesn't include batch info, so it's a crap shoot. But when you hit a good one, it's dynamite.

Settling down to a pour of Weller 12 paired with some homemade snickerdoodles after sitting through a 3-1/2 hour track meet.

Took a while for the taste buds to settle in today. Tried two of my barrelling projects - a bourbon and a rye that each need a lot more time. I went to Bulleit next, which for some reason wasn't clicking tonight. I then went up the shelf to the standby with the racehorse on the top, and all was right with the world again.

Vintage Bourbon 17.

Since my positive notes a while back, I'm now into my third bottle. I can report some major variance bottle-to-bottle, though even the weaker one was still fairly solid.

My second bottle was much lighter: dominant peanut on the nose with a mustier, thinner finish. Still fine juice, but certainly short of the first one. Basically a competent, one-note wheater. But this third bottle is the best of the bunch: creamy, lively, and a huge oaky finish. Tasting #2 and #3 back-to-back, there's a striking difference. Unfortunately, KBD doesn't include batch info, so it's a crap shoot. But when you hit a good one, it's dynamite.

I think my bottle must be from the same batch as your third. It definitely shows its age, but has enough flavor to keep from being overwhelmed by the oak. I get a vanilla frosting note on the finish that makes this one hard to put down!

Enjoying some OGD114 right now. This is so similar in profile to BH that there's no reason for me to shell out the extra bucks.

Enjoying some Evan Williams BIB that I picked up while visiting my wife's family in Marietta, GA. I found a handle at a place called Sherlocks in East Cobb for under $20. Seems like a pretty cool store.

Glad I bought it, this is some solid stuff. Typical HH bonded juice, which works for me. I do wonder, however, why the hell this isn't available in KY? It just seems weird to have a BIB that isn't distributed in Kentucky.

Given the amount of whiskey HH sells in Kentucky, it doesn't make any sense that they don't sell this particular expression here.

Not a good selection at the symphony this evening, but I had a couple of glasses of Makers while watching the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra this evening with the wife. A great show allowed me to enjoy a medicore (At best) bourbon.

Enjoying some Evan Williams BIB that I picked up while visiting my wife's family in Marietta, GA. I found a handle at a place called Sherlocks in East Cobb for under $20. Seems like a pretty cool store.

Glad I bought it, this is some solid stuff. Typical HH bonded juice, which works for me. I do wonder, however, why the hell this isn't available in KY? It just seems weird to have a BIB that isn't distributed in Kentucky.

Given the amount of whiskey HH sells in Kentucky, it doesn't make any sense that they don't sell this particular expression here.

Many of the different HH labels that you see in other states have been requested by a local distributor who owns the rights to that particular label.

Vintage 21 Rye. This stuff has an incredible flavor with the perfect amount of sweetness, and is one of the smoothest whiskeys I have had the pleasure to drink.

After a long day of painting my sons room, finishing up his new bed, and giving the dog a bath, I decided something a little different was in order to treat the day.

Opened up the HW Barreled Manhattan that has been chilling in the fridge. Perilously drinkable. While I love to make them, having a good one instantly on tap, so to speak, is pretty sweet too.

B

Tonight I thoroughly enjoyed a little each of the following...

ETL

EC12

BT

E.H. Taylor Tornado (thanks, Bill!)

FR Private Selection OBSK (very, very good)

I also had a small pour of 'Cabin Fever'. Can't say I'd buy a bottle but it might be good over a large stack of pancakes.

You probably don't have any idea that you were within a stone's throw of bourbon royalty. :grin:

Tried FRSB for the first time. Quite surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. The only other that I have tried is the Yellow label which I found to be poor.

Tried FRSB for the first time. Quite surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. The only other that I have tried is the Yellow label which I found to be poor.

I was with you until I went to the distillery last week and was able to try the entire lineup at once. My preference reflected the price: Yellow Label < SmB < SB. Fortunately when it comes to the Japan-only FR labels I don't think we're missing much in the US. I wasn't a fan of the FR Super Premium...especially not for the $80 it sells for in Japan. Right now I'm sippin on TPS OBSK (which I'm really enjoying) and, while no FR has truly blown me away, I find them all to be a good to great value...well...the American ones anyway.

I am enjoying the 2011 release of KBD Kentucky Vintage NAS. Did a search of this one and came up with a few mediocre reviews online of previous releases. Guess being a bottler and not a distiller may create variances. First time trying this one and so far so good. I would like a higher proof than 90 but not sure it would fare as well, a higher proof could provide a little more up front. Good, enjoyable pour overall!:cool:

Enjoying the last few pours from a bottle of PVW 20yr. Damn fine stuff and sad to see his bottle near gone. Almost time to grab another from the bunker.

Ritt BiB after an exhausting weekend of driving/watching/reffing kid sports. I really need a weekend to recover from the weekend.

Finally able to drink bourbon again after having a crazy head cold for a week...I had some small pours of EH Taylor Tornado, Weller Cent Lville, and now some OWA 8/107 SB. I was getting a little worries as everything I tried for the last week tasted bitter and hot...today all is right with the world again as all three of these are hitting the spot tonight! :cool:

Finally able to drink bourbon again after having a crazy head cold for a week...I had some small pours of EH Taylor Tornado, Weller Cent Lville, and now some OWA 8/107 SB. I was getting a little worries as everything I tried for the last week tasted bitter and hot...today all is right with the world again as all three of these are hitting the spot tonight! :cool:

Glad to hear you are well again. For the reasons you mentioned, my father always said rhat when hlu jave a cold, the best thing to drink ia "Rye" (Being old school, my father referred to any Canadian whiskey as "Rye") and I have continued his tradition of always having a small bottle of either Seagrams V. O., Canadian Club or Crown Royal around for just such occasions. Normally these are just too bland for most members of SB to enjoy, but they are excellent medicine that goes down easy when you have a cold.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.