What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What is your Jim Forrester blend? I've had good luck with Beam Rye and Forester Signature.

Started the night with Beam rye. Went to Baby Saz. Now sipping some Old Fitz BiB.

After an afternoon of beer and NCAA Hoops at the local wing joint, I'm settling in at home with a private barrel selection of EC18. Yum-Yum.

Last night it was a trio of FR Private Bottles...tonight I'm starting with some Noah's Mill 15yr 1990/2005...This is a killer bottle of bourbon. At 114.3 proof there is little to no heat on the nose or pallet with a very nice long finish. I'd be hard pressed to find a better bottle for $36...thank you Houston for these Gems! :D

Working my way down the shelf. Started with about .5 oz of Pappy 23, then a generous pour of WR2O, then to VOB to finish the night.

Starting out with a pour of PVW 15 waiting for F1 qualifying to start. Will probably try out the John J. Bowman again after the Pappy.

Had OWA and M46 tonight along with some Jameson and a beer from Rockmill, a local (to me) brewery in Lancaster, Ohio.

And also Xavier won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OWA with a Bitter American while watching hoops.

I wore my crusty, old IU hat while working in the yard today. Rewarded with a Sweet 16 appearance for the first time in 10 years. So I'm goin' Hoosier on this pour with a W.H. Harrison. Yeah, it ain't great whiskey, but this ain't 1976, either. :). Big 10 looking pretty good, so far.

Started out with some Bushmill's in honor of the holiday, then moved on to some EC18. Enjoyed the Bushmill's, but the follow up reminded me that I am, indeed, a bourbon man. :grin:

Started out with some Bushmill's in honor of the holiday, then moved on to some EC18. Enjoyed the Bushmill's, but the follow up reminded me that I am, indeed, a bourbon man. :grin:

Tried Bushmills, 3 different Jameson's, and a Redbreast cause of St. Pats. Eeesh. While not horrible per se, I'll stick with bourbon thank you very much.

I wore my crusty, old IU hat while working in the yard today. Rewarded with a Sweet 16 appearance for the first time in 10 years. So I'm goin' Hoosier on this pour with a W.H. Harrison. Yeah, it ain't great whiskey, but this ain't 1976, either. :). Big 10 looking pretty good, so far.

Didn't know you were an IU fan Joe. Having some of the BOTM in celebration myself. :grin: Cheers!

Had a very unexpected but fun event yesterday. Went in to my local store to grab a couple of things, and was asked by my store guy if I was interested in tasting some barrel samples for a EC 12 they were going to be getting in.

Of course I'm not going to pass that experience up!

They were given three barrel proof samples to choose from, what was most surprising to me was the strength of each, the low was 144 and the high was 154. Not often you can taste something that is above Stagg levels.

Yes, caution was observed with these, that proof level will take you breath, and taste buds away in short order.

Well, after many small sips, lots of water, and some hefty dilutions to bring to bottle strength, the consensus of the room was pretty even amongst with to pick.

I'm looking forward to when this one come in to get a couple. Not everyday that I can pull something out and say that I helped pick it out.

Now, I just need to work my way in when they talk buying trips down to pick barrels. :grin:

B

Had a very unexpected but fun event yesterday. Went in to my local store to grab a couple of things, and was asked by my store guy if I was interested in tasting some barrel samples for a EC 12 they were going to be getting in.

Of course I'm not going to pass that experience up!

They were given three barrel proof samples to choose from, what was most surprising to me was the strength of each, the low was 144 and the high was 154. Not often you can taste something that is above Stagg levels.

Yes, caution was observed with these, that proof level will take you breath, and taste buds away in short order.

Well, after many small sips, lots of water, and some hefty dilutions to bring to bottle strength, the consensus of the room was pretty even amongst with to pick.

I'm looking forward to when this one come in to get a couple. Not everyday that I can pull something out and say that I helped pick it out.

Now, I just need to work my way in when they talk buying trips down to pick barrels. :grin:

B

How awesome is that to walk in when they're barrel sampling? Congrats and let us know how the bottles turn out!

I'm crowing a bit today (or would be if I weren't too hung over to speak) because I got my German hefeweizen-drinking, Scotch loving friend to try some old SW stuff, and he liked it more than the scotches I had. He even appeared to like it more than his favorite beer. I believe I might have a shot at converting him!

I'm crowing a bit today (or would be if I weren't too hung over to speak) because I got my German hefeweizen-drinking, Scotch loving friend to try some old SW stuff, and he liked it more than the scotches I had. He even appeared to like it more than his favorite beer. I believe I might have a shot at converting him!

Sipping on some 2007 WLW after a very odd day.

So..... How odd was your day?

Yeah really, spill it...

For me, I just returned from sitting outside during the great "yella blizzard of 2012". This extremely mild Winter we've had has all the plants going crazy, and the pollen count for today is out of this world. Yellow pollen is falling like snow from the pines. Can't tell the color of anyones car, other than they're some shade of yellow. All-time record pollen count for ATL had been 6,100 pollen particles per cubic meter. Today's measurement was 8,100. An extremely high count is...120. When a breeze whips up, it's a yella blizzard. Well, a solid pour of this Evan Williams 7 yr 90 proof Antebellum Decanter will keep me from choking.

Yeah really, spill it...

For me, I just returned from sitting outside during the great "yella blizzard of 2012". This extremely mild Winter we've had has all the plants going crazy, and the pollen count for today is out of this world. Yellow pollen is falling like snow from the pines. Can't tell the color of anyones car, other than they're some shade of yellow. All-time record pollen count for ATL had been 6,100 pollen particles per cubic meter. Today's measurement was 8,100. An extremely high count is...120. When a breeze whips up, it's a yella blizzard. Well, a solid pour of this Evan Williams 7 yr 90 proof Antebellum Decanter will keep me from choking.

Yep, i am a female pines worst nightmare after being on the course all day! I feel violated!:shocked: But the pines in ball ground have yet to erupt. Gotta love elevation!:cool: :cool:

Had the day off. Shot an 43 on 9... Then got the yard work done. Now... I'm gettin' Cooter Brown on Weller 12 and Lot B. :cool:

So..... How odd was your day?

Rabbits are eating our emerging flowers so I purchased some critter repellent from the local garden center. The wind shifted while I was schpritzing the daffodils, crocii and tulips and I caught a snootful of the spray. I am happy that nobody captured my "get out of Dodge" move on video that included a successful effort to retain my lunch...barely.

The Don't Barf in Front of the Entire Neighborhood initiative was soon outdone by temporary deafness caused by an exploding bike tire in the garage. For the record, film and video game producers don't quite have the timing correct when portraying the effect of explosions on the human ear. With great certainty and a freshness of memory I can tell you that you do not hear the entire explosion prior to the reverb tunnel hearing and constant ringing...you only hear the first part of the BANG before the WTF sets in.

Other than that it was a normal Sunday.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.