What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

New Belgium's snow day, actually pretty solid...not as good as the 2 below they replaced...miss that.

I have some of the Snow Day as well...and also agree that it's pretty solid but not as good as the 2 below. Maybe one day that will be re-released!

A couple Sierra Nevada pale ales tonight. Smutty nose variety sampler 12 pack out in the garage. Looking forward to those. And I think for bourbon later, I'll open a bottle of Eagle Rare that I bought a year ago. Never had it, so looking forward to giving it a try. :grin:

Some Sam Adams Winter Lager tonight...tasting much better than bourbon this evening!

Went to Lagunitas on Sunday and had some Rye Whiskey Barrel Aged Cappucino Stout (mind-blowing good) and a sour ale I'd not seen before called Ruben and the Bretts. Really nice too, but I to tend to prefer the RRBC sours.

A couple Sweetwater Happy Endings last night. Pretty tasty...that was the first time that I had tried this offering.

This past week I pulled a Bell's Batch 9000 out of of the cellar. It is certainly improving with age.

Had some Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron on tap last night, incredible. Had a bottle of Great Divide Fresh Hop while watching the Giants destroy the Falcons, one of my favorites from fall '11.

Had some Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron on tap last night, incredible. Had a bottle of Great Divide Fresh Hop while watching the Giants destroy the Falcons, one of my favorites from fall '11.

Full Sail Session red with hoops and football on the tele.

Oh, and a nice pour of Pappy 15 to celebrate the choke job the Schtillers and ROFLsberger pulled in Denver. :slappin:

Odell's Red Ale.

I will be buying this seasonal by the case. Hands down my favorite Odell's brew, and I've tried most all of them. Its nice having them right down the street, really hope some of you guys out there can find this stuff around. Fantastic beer, great hop notes, balanced with not too sweet malt.

Finished off a bottle of 2011 Bourbon county from Goose Island as well as a 2009 bourbon barrel Angel's share. Both were delicious, but the BCS is still quite hot. My wife and I each picked up a case of BCS so I'll be sampling over time to see how it ages; I've loved past expressions especially with a bit of age on them.

This past week I pulled a Bell's Batch 9000 out of of the cellar. It is certainly improving with age.

I think I still have 4-6 bottles of the Batch 10000, but I've heard from a couple folks they didn't feel it was made in an ageworthy style. I should check in on one and see.

Finished off a bottle of 2011 Bourbon county from Goose Island as well as a 2009 bourbon barrel Angel's share. Both were delicious, but the BCS is still quite hot. My wife and I each picked up a case of BCS so I'll be sampling over time to see how it ages; I've loved past expressions especially with a bit of age on them.

Interesting -- the consensus is generally that this is the least "hot" GI BCS fresh off the line in many years. I quite enjoyed my taste of it last month.

Also -- two cases under your roof? You've pretty much cornered the market. All of Chicagoland only got 150, and I can't imagine your area got more than 100! If you're a beer trader, you should be able to do well.

I think I still have 4-6 bottles of the Batch 10000, but I've heard from a couple folks they didn't feel it was made in an ageworthy style. I should check in on one and see.

I have some 10K as well, but I didn't think that it improved any with time. I don't think it deteriorated either.

Different style but it should keep for some time.

I also have some Sparkling Ale that is >2 years old that is just wonderful if you like the Belgian Triple style. I'll have one of those while watching football tonight.

I've got a few 6ers of batch 9000 and 10000 that I'll have to check up on.

Interesting -- the consensus is generally that this is the least "hot" GI BCS fresh off the line in many years. I quite enjoyed my taste of it last month.

Also -- two cases under your roof? You've pretty much cornered the market. All of Chicagoland only got 150, and I can't imagine your area got more than 100! If you're a beer trader, you should be able to do well.

Least hot? I'm not sure how people would think that when it's one of the highest alcohol releases in the past few years (up to 14.5%). Being a bourbon drinker I like my beers robust with plenty of bourbon, but the alcohol is a bit too much this year, which takes over from the nice vanilla notes that are usually more present. I like it as well, but I'll let it sit a few more months before popping another bottle.

I'm a beer trader, but I've been out of the scene a bit. This is one of the bourbon barrel stouts that I can more easily grab a case of so I do when I can. The wife likes it, too so it's a good thing to keep around. Between this and Jackie O's, I haven't really been seeking out other barrel aged stouts. Now if someone emails me to get these for some Cantillons, I'll be open to some more trading...

Pouring over some work I need to finish up with a Dale's Pale Ale. Awaiting the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA to hurry up and get cold for the game.

But ABV doesn't simply equate to "heat," of course. I much prefer the 2011 young bottled that I've had compared to the 2010 on-tap that I had. (While acknowledging that the method of delivery may affect the characteristics of each.) My cellar only goes back to the 2009, and I'm giving that two more years before I begin to vertical taste.

I had the 2008 fresh and had the same reaction to the alcohol presence, but I was also much less attuned to the delights of high proofs back then. (I was still drinking my bourbon on the rocks in 2008.)

Compliments on how well the alcohol is hidden in the 2011 far outweigh complaints about heat over on Beer Advocate. But in any event you're patient enough to wait for it to mellow, and have quite the supply to enjoy in coming years!

Least hot? I'm not sure how people would think that when it's one of the highest alcohol releases in the past few years (up to 14.5%). Being a bourbon drinker I like my beers robust with plenty of bourbon, but the alcohol is a bit too much this year, which takes over from the nice vanilla notes that are usually more present. I like it as well, but I'll let it sit a few more months before popping another bottle.

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. I hadn't seen or even heard of it, and hey, rye! Not bad. A bit subtle in the rye department but quite delicious. Hey, why's my glass empty already?!

edit: no, it's not subtle. Pickle juice and wintergreen make themselves known after some time in the glass.

Picking up steam on this week with a Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11. An odd amalgamation of an Ale brewed with Anaheim chilies and Cinnamon. The subdued chilies hit in the nose. Solid ale flavors over the palate. And, a wonderfully interestingly chewy finish. Whoda ever thunk to put A. Chilies and cinnamon together in an ale? Odd, but it works. But, whoda thunk marigolds and a hint of anise would work in an infused vodka? I'll be at Stone in 2 weeks. Maybe, I'll put that in the suggestion box for 12.12.12. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Picking up steam on this week with a Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11. An odd amalgamation of an Ale brewed with Anaheim chilies and Cinnamon. The subdued chilies hit in the nose. Solid ale flavors over the palate. And, a wonderfully interestingly chewy finish. Whoda ever thunk to put A. Chilies and cinnamon together in an ale? Odd, but it works. But, whoda thunk marigolds and a hint of anise would work in an infused vodka? I'll be at Stone in 2 weeks. Maybe, I'll put that in the suggestion box for 12.12.12. :D

I had one of these at Christmas and thought it was good also. Odd, but good (as you said).

Picked up a six pack of Founder's Red Rye PA today...haven't had this one yet and will be enjoying it in about an hour.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.