What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had one of these at Christmas and thought it was good also. Odd, but good (as you said).

Picked up a six pack of Founder's Red Rye PA today...haven't had this one yet and will be enjoying it in about an hour.

Ha! Great minds (nearly) think alike! I just returned from the corner store a few minutes ago. I literally was reaching for the Founder's, when I made a quick aversion and grabbed a 6 pack of Red Brick Blonde. If you report back with a good experience, I may have to make a return trip. :)

I'm now settling in with a Leffe Blonde. I have really been enjoying this beer over the last couple of weeks. I think I'm on my 3rd 6 pack in that time. Very tasty. It has many of the characteristics of my all-time fave, Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. And, any of you who have been over, you know I prefer blondes...:D

I participated in an Imperial Stout tasting recently. It was hard to choose but the Yeti Imperial Stout identified on the label as Belgian-style (there are different iterations of Yeti Imperial Stout) took the palm I thought, with elegant roasted and coffee-like flavours. Nogne, a Scandinavian Imperial, impressed with its fine expresso-like taste. Stone Black IPA is not labelled as a stout or porter but it is a kind of Imperial porter IMO except with a big punch of West Coast C-hop. Refreshing (so to speak) after the others which are more in the English style. There was one bottom-fermented example, the Polish Zywiec, which was very well-made and testifies to the long tradition of strong stout in the Baltic lands.

There were one or two others including a rare example from the sole craft brewery in Puerto Rico, finished in a rum cask I understand and showing good aged notes.

In my view again, Imperial Stout is the top of the beer range. There are many great beers and beer styles but this is the peak for me in terms of flavor and complexity.

Gary

I participated in an Imperial Stout tasting recently. It was hard to choose but the Yeti Imperial Stout identified on the label as Belgian-style (there are different iterations of Yeti Imperial Stout) took the palm I thought, with elegant roasted and coffee-like flavours. Nogne, a Scandinavian Imperial, impressed with its fine expresso-like taste. Stone Black IPA is not labelled as a stout or porter but it is a kind of Imperial porter IMO except with a big punch of West Coast C-hop. Refreshing (so to speak) after the others which are more in the English style. There was one bottom-fermented example, the Polish Zywiec, which was very well-made and testifies to the long tradition of strong stout in the Baltic lands.

There were one or two others including a rare example from the sole craft brewery in Puerto Rico, finished in a rum cask I understand and showing good aged notes.

In my view again, Imperial Stout is the top of the beer range. There are many great beers and beer styles but this is the peak for me in terms of flavor and complexity.

Gary

I don't think we get the Yeti Stout in Atlanta (do we, Joe?) but I'll keep an eye out for it. I always enjoy your recommendations, Gary.

I don't think we get the Yeti Stout in Atlanta (do we, Joe?) but I'll keep an eye out for it. I always enjoy your recommendations, Gary.

We sure do. I know I see it regularly at Mink's. I posted this review a couple of years ago.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135642#post135642

Had the new SN Ruthless Rye IPA, spicy, hoppy, and tasty. Followed that with a Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA, chewy hoppy goodness.

I like that motor oil analogy. Given its comparative lightness, I'd say the Belgian-style version was more new oil fresh from the can!

It would be interesting to try the versions alongside, I believe there are three (regular, oak-aged and Belgian-style).

Gary

Sixpoint Righteous Rye - a bit light, but a great beer anyway. The first rye I've had that's true to itself and didn't try to merge the rye with some other flavor.

Now for the Ruthless Rye, which of course DOES mix the rye with a strong hops presence, but it's hard to find fault with that, since it's such a fantastic beverage.

Celebrating a little bit of a milestone this afternoon. My regular running schedule took a big hit in August when I developed a bad case of Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot. Hurt like heck. So, I really backed off my running (basically stopped) and began the tennis ball treatment. Anywho, began starting back several weeks ago, and today I finished my normal run without stopping to gag, heave, gasp, or fall over. :D It was slow, but no stopping. Yey me. So, I am rewarding myself with a Sweetwater Exodus Porter. Yummy. Truth be told, I would still be drinking this Exodus Porter had I stopped...again...to gag, heave, gasp, or fall over....but, it's the thought that counts...Drink up and celebrate the simple things! :woohoo:

Right this minute, I'm drinking a Thirsty Dog "12 Dogs of Christmas Ale".

First time I've had this. It's pretty tasty..... better than Great Lakes Christmas Ale, IMO.

Yeti also comes in espresso oak-aged and barrel-aged versions. (The "oak-aged" ones spend some time with oak chips, v. actual barrel aging for the rather rare barrel-aged version.)

Beer Advocate lists a few more types that I'm not familiar with -- Bretty, chocolate oak-aged and cocoa.

I like that motor oil analogy. Given its comparative lightness, I'd say the Belgian-style version was more new oil fresh from the can!

It would be interesting to try the versions alongside, I believe there are three (regular, oak-aged and Belgian-style).

Gary

Couple bottles from 3 Floyds tonight. First the Gumball Head Wheat, different than any wheat I've had...lots going on in this one. Next up one of my favorites from these guys, Robert the Bruce Scotch Ale. Just amazing!

Beer Advocate lists a few more types that I'm not familiar with -- Bretty, chocolate oak-aged and cocoa.

Bretty Yeti is TERRIBLE! I think they accidentally infected some kegs with brett and threw it out there as "bretty yeti" instead of throwing it away. I'm a die hard Yeti fan and its the only glass that I have ever poured out. I have never had a stout with brett that I could tolerate so I'm probably not the best judge on this one.

I was able to secure a bottle of Bramble Rye Bourbon County Stout. I promptly stashed it at the back of my open bottle cabinet to hibernate for a few years, so no tasting notes yet. It was aged in rye whiskey barrels, although I can't seem to find info on whose rye barrels...

I have a bottle of Bourbon County Stout from 2006 I've been holding on to that I'm going to try to open this weekend; I've got a cold, so I may have to put it off...

On Wednesday, I had:

Bell's GoldenRye Ale - bitter at first, turning to traditional dry rye as it warmed. A bit thin but pretty good.

Bell's Rye Stout - delicious, a little cloying.

Heavy Seas Below Decks Barlewine, aged in Bowman whiskey barrels (don't know which whiskey was in the barrels) - fruity, musty, definitely a niche beer. I've heard the 18 year Bowman was pretty fruity, as well. Is this a characteristic of the line?

Did you get any 2011 Coffee? I'll be enjoying a pour while watching the Super B, er, "The Big Game." While it's not generally thought of as the best idea due to the likelihood that the coffee component will fade, I'm probably going to age one as well.

I was able to secure a bottle of Bramble Rye Bourbon County Stout. I promptly stashed it at the back of my open bottle cabinet to hibernate for a few years, so no tasting notes yet. It was aged in rye whiskey barrels, although I can't seem to find info on whose rye barrels...

I have a bottle of Bourbon County Stout from 2006 I've been holding on to that I'm going to try to open this weekend; I've got a cold, so I may have to put it off...

Did you get any 2011 Coffee? I'll be enjoying a pour while watching the Super B, er, "The Big Game." While it's not generally thought of as the best idea due to the likelihood that the coffee component will fade, I'm probably going to age one as well.

Binny's sold out in about an hour and a half on a Thursday morning. Don't people have anything better to do? I figured I'd be there in plenty of time if I stopped by around lunch: no go.

I think I would prefer the coffee component faded into the brew. I have a 2010 Vanilla aging, and that about rounds out my beer bunker!

Binny's sold out in about an hour and a half on a Thursday morning. Don't people have anything better to do? I figured I'd be there in plenty of time if I stopped by around lunch: no go.

I think I would prefer the coffee component faded into the brew. I have a 2010 Vanilla aging, and that about rounds out my beer bunker!

I would characterize the whale-beer hunts (especially GI barrel-aged product) as even more manic and cutthroat than the quest for Pappy and the BTAC, at least here in Chicago. You're dealing with more bottles, but also a larger population of beer-crazy folk. Advance lists have become the norm, and those places that just release a product onto the floor see it all gone within an hour or so -- faster if they actually announce availability through social networking (v. waiting for a customer to Tweet about it or post on BeerAdvocate).

Last year the GI BCS sat on the shelf here in DC for months, but I haven't even seen it this year. I have some BCS from 2009 aging, so I wasn't going to get any new bottles, but still... I had no idea. Check out Ebay for what this stuff is going for!

Way too many pints of Founders Double Trouble last night, freshly tapped keg at a local beer bar. Think tonight will be very calm, still recovering.

5 hour waits at Russian River Brew Co for Pliny the Younger. I love me some Pliny the Elder, so I'm going to brave the brewery...next week.

Pulled out some special stashed away beers for the Super Bowl. Mikkeller 10 and 8 wired IPA while cooking jambalaya for the game. Epic (NZ) IPA, Port Mongo IPA, and Moylan's Hopsickle lined up and ready. Spicy food and hoppy beers is today's theme.

Went with some Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Founder's Red Rye PA last night during the game. Both went very well with the Superbowl.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.