What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sam Adams Alpine Spring. Enough body to stand up to the cooler late winter/early spring temps, but lighter in color and some nice citrus to compliment the warm sunshine.

Winter and Fall seasonals have always been my favorite, but I've really enjoyed the past couple year's worth of Spring seasonals.

Had several cans of Bud Light last night. I love the bright notes of . . . er . . . nevermind. It was cold and delicious, though. No matter how many new beers I try, there will always be a time and place for a Bud Light, or nine. :grin:

Enjoyed a couple of bottles of New Belgium's Dig Pale Ale last night while relishing an extraordinarily beautiful evening on the deck. This beer actually has more hop bite and a drier finish than most pale ales, putting it closer to the IPA category. Refreshing and a pleasant surprise!

Sam Adams Alpine Spring. Enough body to stand up to the cooler late winter/early spring temps, but lighter in color and some nice citrus to compliment the warm sunshine.

Winter and Fall seasonals have always been my favorite, but I've really enjoyed the past couple year's worth of Spring seasonals.

Had several cans of Bud Light last night. I love the bright notes of . . . er . . . nevermind. It was cold and delicious, though. No matter how many new beers I try, there will always be a time and place for a Bud Light, or nine. :grin:

Do they still have Red Dog and Southpaw Light in GA? Those were my go-to beers in college.

No matter how many new beers I try, there will never be a time and place for a Bud Light. :(

Fixed that for you.

A perfectly chilled Bitter American hit the spot after dinner.

No faux Irish crap here today. :grin:

Had some Green Flash IPA. Love that brewery. I think after Stone, this is probably my 2nd favorite in San Diego.

Had some Green Flash IPA. Love that brewery. I think after Stone, this is probably my 2nd favorite in San Diego.

I agree with this statement. The IPA is a SoCal take on Pliny (esp. out of tap) and I really enjoy the Double Stout. Great brewery tour to take as well -- really nice people and lots of beer to drink.

Do they still have Red Dog and Southpaw Light in GA? Those were my go-to beers in college.

Haha, I haven't seen either in some time (haven't been looking), but I definitely drank my share of Southpaw in college. Talk about a flashback . . . now I feel like I need to go looking for some. :grin:

Drank through the menu at Hop Leaf Saturday. Enjoyed several bourbon-barrel-aged beers, including Lost Abbey's Deliverance and a fresh bottle of Founder's KBS. I found that I prefer the latter with some age on it, and will be putting my scant handful of bottles into the cellar 'til next winter.

Continued on the barrel-aged kick today during a fantasy baseball draft. Enjoyed some 2011 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Tyranena Dirty Old Man Imperial Rye Porter and some fresh Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine. I enjoy the Central Waters' barrel-aged products so much that I'm almost beginning to wonder why I hunt down Bourbon County and KBS products.

Despite Chicago's summer weather, I'm still drinking winter style.

Sipping Dogfish Head Aprihop alongside Redbreast CS. I was worried that the Aprihop would be a sweet, fruity mess, but the apricot is very subtle. The citrus notes in the beer are really pulling the orange and tangy fruit out of the whiskey. Delicious.

Sipping Dogfish Head Aprihop alongside Redbreast CS. I was worried that the Aprihop would be a sweet, fruity mess, but the apricot is very subtle. The citrus notes in the beer are really pulling the orange and tangy fruit out of the whiskey. Delicious.

Nice description c2. That sounds like an interesting pairing, and it does sound good. I generally dislike fruit beers. You put into words what my feelings are...they usually are a "sweet, fruity mess..". However, I had a similar positive experience over the weekend with the Sweetwater Brewery's "Blue". It is as they describe, "...a light bodied wheat ale laced with natural blueberry flavor." I've had it before some time ago, but couldn't accurately recall my impressions, so I decided to try it again. Just like your experience with the Aprihop, the Blue's blueberry was very subtle. Slightly detectable on the nose, and even less so on the palate. Very refreshing with the warm weather we're having. It worked very well, to my surprise. So much so, I will re-up for another 6-pack when I finish this one. Now, to just find a whiskey that goes with it.

:toast:

Haha, I haven't seen either in some time (haven't been looking), but I definitely drank my share of Southpaw in college. Talk about a flashback . . . now I feel like I need to go looking for some. :grin:

Southpaw is the only beer that ever made me throw up when I wasn't drunk.

HOPSLAM!!! (yes, it must be in all caps)

Sunday afternoon was a nice warm day here in Atlanta, and I sat out by the pool with the semi-girlfriend and drank a couple bottles of HOPSLAM!!! while getting some sun. Can't wait for Summer!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.