What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally came across some Whale's Tail Pale Ale from Cisco Brewers in Nantucket. It's only just made it to my local Binny's and I've been looking forward to trying it after a friend, who lives in New York, raved about it.

I can't stand the Fireside Nut Brown. The "natural flavors" don't taste very natural to me.

I'm afraid I didn't like it either. I bought a six pack last summer to split with a friend who was visiting from England and we both hated it right from the first sip. I love nut brown ales as a rule (Samuel Smith's NBA is a classic) but this stuff tasted like it had been heavily spiked with hazelnut extract like you get in a coffee shop. To each his own, I guess.

Popped open a Tyranena's Imperial Rye Porter Aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels (40% was aged in rye whiskey barrels). This was included in a trade I did with someone in the WI/MN area (I think; that's where it's from anyway).

A pretty nice porter enjoyed while reading the porter chapter in "Designing Great Beers" and frying a chicken. While I enjoyed it as a porter, it was not much in the way of imperial, the rye flavor was pretty muted, and the rye whiskey was non-apparent. While I enjoyed the beer it wasn't what I was expecting (or what the label stated). Finished the night with some WT 101 Rye (I picked up 3 bottles the other day in response to the thread scare about it disappearing.)

Picked up a couple six packs of Bell's Hopslam yesterday...looking forward to having one tonight.

Quickly reaching Pappy-level hysteria. Hop City, a store near my office, announced via twitter that they had it in (1 6 pk limit) and it was gone before I could get over there 45 mins later.

Quickly reaching Pappy-level hysteria. Hop City, a store near my office, announced via twitter that they had it in (1 6 pk limit) and it was gone before I could get over there 45 mins later.

There is a one 6 pack limit where I bought mine too, but I flirted a bit and got the girl to quickly scan two of them.

There is a one 6 pack limit where I bought mine too, but I flirted a bit and got the girl to quickly scan two of them. lol

Nicely done. Let me know how it is . . . not that I need something else to chase after.

Nicely done. Let me know how it is . . . not that I need something else to chase after.

I like Hopslam, but I'm not a huge fan. If anyone is interested some, let me know when the next release is coming up and I'll keep an eye open. I counted a dozen or so cases the last time I was at Jungle Jim's. We usually get good allocation this way and I'd be happy to hook some people up with some.

I had a long week and popped open a Palo Santo from 2009 when I got home. I'm not a huge fan of this fresh. I find it too hot and fairly unbalanced (esp. for a brown ale). I've had some with 2-5 years aging and think that's the sweet spot. Has anyone had them older than 5 years? Any decline at a certain point?

After doing the dishes for my wife, I'm about to break into an Immort Ale from 2010. This was a extra in a trade. It'll be my first Immort Ale. The label mentions maple, vanilla, and oak so I'm excited to try it.

Tonight I'm enjoying a Saugatuck Brewing Co Neapolitan Milk Stout.

Ice creamy smooth head and feel of the brew the initial entry flavor sensation is vanilla the body is chocolate. A nice sipping beer, like all good beer it hold up very well adjusting to room temperature.

Here is the breweries description:

Neapolitan Milk Stout (6.4%ABV) – Neapolitan Stout is a unique blend of milk sugar, chocolate, vanilla beans, and strawberries. Available at the Brewer’s whim it is a specialty now available in 4 packs.

(a 4 pack is $10.00)

Had Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown at Champp's in Milwaukee and really liked the nutty taste. Got a 6 pk at Binny's as it's only available in the winter months. Very little head, a little thin on the palate, but definitely nutty, maybe a little chocolate on the nose. some guys who post video reviews on youtube are pretty funny to watch. One guy, while reading the label, said you could enjoy it by the fire. That's really thinking outside the box.

Looking forward to Goose Islands nut brown coming supposedly next month.

Had Lost Coast Alley Cat Amber Ale tonight. Nice color, good head, sharp taste. Love all the LC beers I've tried.

I like the look of your glass, bigtoys. Looks like a Glencairn on steroids. Can you tell me where I could get one?

Mark

Yuengling Bock. I can't say it tastes like a traditional Bock beer, but it's pretty good stuff. I like it a lot better than the standard offering we get in Ohio.

Had a Nugget Nectar draft tonight, very fresh, very good. It seems a bit hoppier than last year's release. Picked up another two sixes of Hopslam, like the NN, I like the '12 better than the '11. Also had to help Karen finish her Stone '08 RIS on draft, age does wonders for RISs.

A couple of Old Chub's last night after returning home from a snowy Chicago. I'll be danged if I can remember ever having this one before, but I really did enjoy these yesterday. I have to say, my introduction to the Oskar Blues product line is very recent, but I am finding that I have really liked everything I've tried.

A couple of Old Chub's last night after returning home from a snowy Chicago. I'll be danged if I can remember ever having this one before, but I really did enjoy these yesterday. I have to say, my introduction to the Oskar Blues product line is very recent, but I am finding that I have really liked everything I've tried.

Impatiently waiting for Oskar Blues and Odell to hopefully get distributed in Illinois. I've become familiar with them through my annual Colorado vacation. With the explosion of so many great beer choices already there is still room for more :grin: .

Glad you made it home safely Joe and its already melting but it was a crazy morning commute...and only our third snow of the year...which for Chicago is incredible.

Had some Pliny the Younger yesterday along with some Alesmith stuff. The 10+% alcohol in pliny goes down so smooth but man...2 pints of that stuff is more than enough haha...

After doing the dishes for my wife, I'm about to break into an Immort Ale from 2010. This was a extra in a trade. It'll be my first Immort Ale. The label mentions maple, vanilla, and oak so I'm excited to try it.

Another unusual taste in the Immort Ale is smoke, which comes from peated barley. What did you think? To me, it's the messiest beer I've ever had, but it's so much fun to drink.

Just for a change, Carlsberg Lager, we get it canned and bottled imported from Denmark in 2-3 months from packaging (draft too).

It's all-malt and a good formula. Not a worldbeater, but well made with some nice subtle tastes. I've had so many wonky craft beers that I appreciate, of occasion, a well-made, mass market import like this.

Gary

My sister in law just started drinking beer again, and I took her a care package of some of the ales I like: St Arnold dark, Westmalle tripel, Stone smoked porter, a couple of Rahr's.

She found a Thai beer that she really likes, so she gave me my care package back, and threw in bottles of Crispins cider, Thai beer and Virgil's rootbeer. I'm intgerested in trying out the Thai beer and the cider (last hard cider I've had was Woodpecker). I've already tried the Virgils, but I like it (I went on a rootbeer search a couple years ago - never did find one I liked as well as the defunct Snappple version).

All in all, Yum!

Sam Adams Alpine Spring. Not bad, not great. I really wish we could get the SA Double Bock. It hasn't been available around here for a few years, for some reason.

Sam Adams Alpine Spring. Not bad, not great. I really wish we could get the SA Double Bock. It hasn't been available around here for a few years, for some reason.

I've been sitting out in the back yard with Mrssmokinjoe on a gloriously sunny 60 degree day here, sippin' on one of these Alpine Springs myself. I agree E. Not bad, not great, but enjoyable. Also, a Leffe Blonde. I continue to enjoy this beer, as well. Switching soon to bourbon in time for din-din.

One of the local Black IPAs we see increasingly in our market. It's a style I like a lot, basically an American Pale Ale/IPA-type beer, i.e., strong on citric West Coast hops, with some black patent or other colouring or roasted agent to give it a black hue and just a touch of roast in the taste. It should not really be (IMO) a citric porter because that is a variant of porter and stout, not IPA, but if anyone makes a Black IPA that's more in the porter vein I won't tell. End of the day, if it's good it's good.

Gary

FFF 2010 Dark Lord RIS. It mellowed over two years as I expected, but has lost some of the coffee/ roastiness, and is sweeter than I would have expected.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.