What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another unusual taste in the Immort Ale is smoke, which comes from peated barley. What did you think? To me, it's the messiest beer I've ever had, but it's so much fun to drink.

Yeah. I didn't realize it had peat smoked malt in it until I took a sip; quite a surprise. It was unique, but not something I truly enjoyed. My homebrew buddy has been trying to talk me into a peat smoked beer, but I've been resisting. This didn't do him any favors, but I'll certainly let him try one of the other bottles I have sitting around.

FFF 2010 Dark Lord RIS. It mellowed over two years as I expected, but has lost some of the coffee/ roastiness, and is sweeter than I would have expected.

The wife and I cracked a 2011 DL while watching T2 with some friends last night. I enjoy the beer enough, but wish there was less of the soy sauce component. Certainly sweet and thick enough to be a long slow sipper though.

Today was Double Daisy Cutter Day. Though Chicago's Half Acre brewery is practically in my backyard, this was the first time I made it over to their brewery to pick up a special release. Their regular Daisy Cutter is a very pleasant pale ale with some creamy honey and grapefruit notes. The (annually?) brewed Double Daisy Cutter is more hoppy with more of a bite, but a really really mellow 8%. I picked up a growler and four 22oz bottles.

The bourbon will have to take a break for a few hours while I tend to the growler.

Bell's Hopslam tonight. Very good and balanced. Hoppy (obviously) but not overly so. I'm glad I picked up a couple of these!

Their regular Daisy Cutter is a very pleasant pale ale

I love regular Daisy Cutter and wish it was more readily available. I still contend that it's my favorite pale ale. Most of my beer drinking buddies pass it up now for Zombie Dust, which I like (but not quite as much). I picked up some Double Daisy Cutter last year. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't go through the hassle of getting up there to get it.

Had my first Westvleteren 12. Picked up a coupe of bottles in a trade. I don't know if it is the best beer in the world as touted since I have not tasted all the beers yet (I am trying) but it is the best beer I have ever tasted by a wide margin.

Williamsburg Alewerks Washington's Porter... these flks are making some great beer and the porter is spot on. This is a classic porter not a stout wanna be or a heavy dark ale. Worth a try...

Had my first Westvleteren 12. Picked up a coupe of bottles in a trade. I don't know if it is the best beer in the world as touted since I have not tasted all the beers yet (I am trying) but it is the best beer I have ever tasted by a wide margin.

I've had a few Westy's, all fresh. I've liked them but not any more than other quality Quads that I've had. Really looking forward to aging some to see what develops. Right now I think my oldest bottle is approximately two years. I'm going to wait until I have one for three and then do a vertical.

Good Gosh, March already...This year is moving. Wrapping up the week with a Stone Cali-Belgique IPA. I had this at the Brewery in January, and was pleased to see it at my local shop this week.

A blending of Sinha Stout (Lion Stout in some markets) and a craft stout from Ontario, Black Creek Stout.

Lion is from Sri Lanka which may sound odd, but it isn't. The brewery was set up by British capital in the 1800's to service British planters and other Britons resident in what was then Ceylon. The brewery just carried on, basically making the same 1870's-type London stout into this modern world of today.

I blended them to get what I felt was the best out of both.

Gary

Managed to find some Dogfish Head 120-minute IPA. Bought a bottle of it and plan on trying it later tonight.

Sipping on a Central Waters bourbon barrel barleywine. The aroma is just what I was hoping for: nice bourbon with vanilla and wood and an underlying sweetness. The flavor is not quite there yet. The bourbon comes through but there's still quite a bit of hop presence that masks a lot of the sweetness. The 2010 version was incredible with a year on it (and fresh). This 2011 was a bit hot and harsh fresh and is still a bit more bitter than I want in a bbbw. I should have another 1 or 2 kicking around that I'll save for another 6 months or so. (Note: this was stored slightly under cellar temp in my basement beer fridge as my chest freezer cellar is filled to capacity.)

Last two bottles of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale that were lurking in the back of the beer fridge. Allowed to warm slightly by sitting on the counter for 15-20 minutes, these beers really shine with a beautiful hop character.

Bought a bottle of Dogfish Head Red & White and a 4-pack of their ApriHop. Looking forward to trying both!

I've been enjoying the Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro. The regular version is pretty good, the Nitro brings it over the top for me.

I've been enjoying the Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro. The regular version is pretty good, the Nitro brings it over the top for me.

I had a Milk Stout Nitro last night. It's been a while since I've had the regular Milk Stout and might need to buy some more for a comparison.

Enjoying some Bear Republic Racer X. A nice change up from the regular staple in our house, Racer 5. It's a very nice, rich yet balanced D-IPA.

Hidden

Enjoying some Bear Republic Racer X. A nice change up from the regular staple in our house, Racer 5. It's a very nice, rich yet balanced D-IPA.

I had a Milk Stout Nitro last night. It's been a while since I've had the regular Milk Stout and might need to buy some more for a comparison.

Old Rasputin has been my go to lately.

I had a Rogue Ales Voodoo Doughnut the other night.... Maple Bacon Ale...

Old Rasputin has been my go to lately.

I had a Rogue Ales Voodoo Doughnut the other night.... Maple Bacon Ale...

I don't drink much beer anymore but I had a Schell's Hopfenmalz last night that really hit the spot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.