What are you drinking right now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As you're sitting here reading these posts, what are you sipping on? Let us know what you fancy right now! yum.gif

Had a long day at work banghead.gif ....I am unwinding with some EWSB '93 yum.gif

Phillip

Ezra B Single Barrel 15 year old. (Barrel 57, bottled 1/02.)

I need to dig out a past copy of The Bourbon Country Reader, in which I know Chuck Cowdery reviewed this bourbon; I just don't remember what he said about it. I hope I'm supposed to like it as much as I do. (I'd bet he also commented on the odd proof -- 99 -- and the fact that it is bottled in St. Louis.)

I know that someone recommended EB15 as an alternative to Elijah Craig 18 year old for those of us who think the EC18 is a bit too dry and woody. The Ezra B certainly fills that bill. I find it very caramel-like, with just a hint of dryness. Mainly, it coats the mouth in a very pleasant way, with none of the repeated, involuntary swallowing that sometimes accompanies the finish of a bourbon that I consider to be overaged.

The only bad thing I can say about it is that the design of the label makes it look off-center, making me fight the urge to try to straighten it. grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year old. I like it with tonic water or straight up.

ORWV 10yo 107 proof and a Pappy Van Winkle cigar! One hell of a combination bowdown.gifJulian doesn't do anything half-assed. I'll post a review of the cigar in a day or two. bandit.gif

Baker's 7yo 107, in a nosing glass from Binny's. Methinks I'll get another bottle while Joe C. still has it priced at $24. cool.gif I'm liking this pour!

Pappy 20. Man, this stuff is absolutely spectacular! I'm really looking forward to the (re)introduction of the 23 in December!

toast.gif

Weller Centennial for me right now drink.gif. Although I love it yum.gif, it doesn't seem as great as the bottle I bought in '94 confused.gif. Has the bourbon changed or is my recent experience with VW 107 10yo bowdown.gif influencing me?

Not to mention that the 23 coming out this December is a 23 year version of the wheater. The past 23 year old expression was more rye based. This December's 23 should be spectacular! yum.gif To all of Julian's products... bowdown.gifgrin.gif

Let's see, Four Roses Single Barrel in August or so, 2 Lots of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon on Sept. 2nd, More Stagg , something from Barton, and a Christmas gift from Julian. Wow! This year is shaping up well! grin.gifbowdown.giftoast.gifsmoke.gifdrink.gif

A fine fall crop is on the horizon, indeed!

I'm enjoying a pour of WT 101/8yr. drink.gif Went to Canada last week and bought this bottle at the duty free shop. $17 for a 1 liter bottle and they gave me a bottle of Wild Turkey BBQ sauce as a bonus. laugh.gif I like the WT101, good rich

flavor with a long finish. Haven't tried the BBQ sauce yet.

Wild Turkey 101 in a Glencairn blender's glass with a gurgle grin.gif of water. (Note: A gurgle is the amount of water that flows from a half-full Arrowhead Pure Mountain Spring Water dispenser during the time it takes to say the word "gurgle". If I were a slow-talking Kentuckian, I'd probably go with a splash, instead. grin.gif)

Am I just in an extraordinarily bourbon-receptive mood today, or does this concoction taste as fine as any WT bottling I've ever tasted?

In the past I was put off by the metaphor "unlocked" to describe the effect on flavor when adding water to bourbon. The word just didn't seem descriptive enough to be convincing. Nevertheless, I have learned by experimenting that there are times when I enjoy a bourbon more with some water added. (Am I headed down the road to becoming a Basil Hayden's drinker? crazy.gif)

It still seems counterintuitive to me to think of dilution leading to more flavor. So, what gives? I'm thinking that sometimes there's just too much flavor for our taste buds to handle and that adding water reduces the intensity to a level that is compatible with our taste and aroma sensors.

Similar situations exist with our other senses. Music can be too loud (well, for adults, anyway); light can be too bright for comfortable reading; a touch can be painful if it is so heavy that it becomes a blow.

As with our other senses, the level of intensity that tastes good won't be the same for everyone. Here's to drinking it the way you enjoy it. drink.giflaugh.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

It still seems counterintuitive to me to think of dilution leading to more flavor. So, what gives? I'm thinking that sometimes there's just too much flavor for our taste buds to handle and that adding water reduces the intensity to a level that is compatible with our taste and aroma sensors.

Dave, it is my understanding that it is not simply a matter of dilution. The articles I recently referred to reading several years ago concerning single malt scotch and water said that adding water to whiskey results in the release of esters and other aromatics. The implication was that this release does not occur when tasting uncut whiskey.

I am not a chemist, so I have no direct knowledge of what I'm saying, but the source I took it from seemed to be knowledgeable. bs.gifwink.gif

Tim

I haven't been a big fan of Baker's in the past, but it was mighty fine about a week ago. I was in Atlanta for Supercomm. I had dinner with a young cousin of mine on Wed night. We started out at Fogo de Chao (excellent Brazilian restaurant - the experience is worth a whole thread in the off topic forum) with lots of meat and a bottle of wine.

We ended up the evening at the Park Tavern overlooking Piedmont Park and the Buckhead skyline. Four Baker's later, I must say I had a wonderful time swapping family stories and getting to know my younger cousin. Thanks to the large meal, I only had a pleasant buzz and a sound sleep that night.

A weller 12yo and a Weller Centennial for comparison. Two good quality bourbons, each with their strong points. I will post a formal copmparison in a couple of days, but I think for the money, Weller 12yo is the better bet yum.gif. YMMV

I spoke earlier of being in Atlanta last week. On Tuesday night, I shot some pool at Smith's Old Bar with an old friend of mine who has moved to Atlanta. I brought along a co-worker who was also working the trade show. We all had a great time.

I suggested Joey D's Oak Room for dinner as I had heard here at SB.com that it has a great bourbon selection. I offered to buy the first round. I ordered 20 yo Pappy. I was shocked when my previously non-bourbon drinking friends said they were inspired by me and ordered the same - neat in a snifter!. I did not say a word to them about the Pappy being $11/glass. wink.gif

My co-worker really enjoyed his glass. I may have found a new bourbon buddy. My friend said he had to drive and didn't finish his. I obliged and finished it off. I'd say a win-win in both cases. cool.gif

I later told them about the price and we had a good laugh. I jokingly suggested that next time they wanted to experiment, they should warn me up front. tongue.gif

For the first time in four years, I am out of ORVW 15 yo. None in the bunker. frown.gif But, there's a very good reason for that. smile.gif

I was attending a neighbor's surprise 40th birthday party this past Saturday. The joke, though, was on me, my wife, and another couple. The surprise birthday party was a disguise for a 20th wedding anniversary party for my wife and I and the other neighboring couple. Yep, we were definitely surprised.

So, I figured this was a night to celebrate and had my kids run over a nearly full bottle of ORVW 15 yo. (My first thought was GTS, but at 137 proof, I didn't think that would be a kind thing to do to the other guests who wanted to share.) I behaved myself and paced myself quite well, but, alas, the bottle, even though it was hidden behind the host's JB white, didn't last the night. I didn't care, I can always buy more. The best part was that I heard that an s-word neighbor tried the ORVW and fell in love with it. Another convert? grin.gif

We all had a great time. The wives wore their bridesmaid's dresses and the husbands wore suits. Lucky me - I couldn't dress up cuz it was a surprise - I was comfy in the geek's business uniform - a polo and khakis. smile.gif

The local (relatively) small town paper covered the event. The reporter hung with us for four hours! Is that small town? or did she need a life? or were we that much fun? laugh.gif The article is supposed to be in the paper tomorrow (Wed). If the article is online, I'll post a link.

Darn right, we expect pics, press, all the bells and whistles, CL. Congratulations!! Toasting you with VOB, tonight!!

Tonight Kentucky Spirit. A robust flavored single barrel and at a (suprisingly smooth) 101 proof! An exquisite experience, not for the "faint of heart" YUMMY!!

yum.gifTomC yum.gif

Well, it was last night ... but we had company and I couldn't hang out on the computer.

Four Roses Single Barrel. This stuff has an incredibly distinct flavor profile. Very tasty, but I switched to beer after a couple ounces. I could (and probably would) drink the FRSB till the party reached it's inevitable conclusion falling.gif

This afternoon I was trapped for the second weekend in a row, in a thunderstorm. Last week on the Yamaha Seca, this week on the Buell. Again, when I finally got home, the rain had stopped and Patty said, "How'd you get so wet?" I poured out my boots, poured a Buffalo Trace and drank till the wrinkles were out of my feet. Took off the chill. I gotta remember to carry my rainsuit banghead.gifbanghead.gif

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13yo. I am getting dangerously close to proclaiming a new favorite whiskey yum.gif. I will, however hold off on that declaration until the end of this bottle, say probably Tuesday grin.gif, to make sure it's not just an infatuation, a passing fad, a phase mind you; but I doubt it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!