What are you drinking right now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Let me know if you find any and where. This stuff is definately worth an hours drive toast.gif

Hell no. I am going to buy it all. grin.gif

Oh, alright. If they have extra when I am done, I'll let you know. But for a finder's fee. grin.gif

this evening I went to a place none locally as "Fox and Hound"...30 beers on draft with another 30 or so in bottles....much better than average bourbon selection, not great mind you but better than average...had several Bakers ...in my mind the second to Bookers and the clear superior to Basil Haydens and Knob Creek... I wish you all well ........."may every bar have Buffalo Trace"

It's amazing how differently I approach the bourbon given this week's events with my Dad. Having a small bourbon is a comfort, not as in a crutch or an escape mechanism, but as a simple, quiet enjoyment of one of the simple things in life when so many discomforting and chaotic things are happening around me. At the same time, I could care less whether I ever had bourbon again as my mind is on more important matters with my Dad. It's a contradictory set of feelings.

Anyhow, I had an interesting selection of bourbons last night. After spending a long day with my Dad, I came back to my great uncle's house where I am staying this week. I had a small Wathens before dinner. Damn, it was good.

I then went out to eat dinner with my great uncle. I started with a Woodford Reserve. After having the Wathens, the WR didn't taste very good. It was too thin and bland. (I know many here never cared for WF, but at times, in the past at least, I have enjoyed it when I wanted a simple bourbon.)

So, for the next drink at dinner, I had Old Forrester 86. It blew away it's big brother, WR. It was delectable and nothing like the seemingly off bottles of OF 100 I have had at home in NC recently. Maybe I will try some OF 86 when I get home. The good news is that NC carries that proof in a 1.75L bottle.

I was just out at a restaurant and just tried Bookers for the first time. Possible the sweetest smelling and tasting bourbon I have tried.

While it's been a while since I've done it, many times I have ordered Booker's at a steak house to complement a filet mignon, on expense account, of course. smirk.gif

I was accustomed to ordering the Booker's on the rocks and letting the ice melt some to cut the proof. I always found Booker's to go well with a steak dinner. It complements the grill flavor.

MurphyDawg..."Fox and Hound" is in North Canton...they had 10 bourbons the last time I was in there...the four in the small batch collection(Bookers,KC,Bakers,BH), the usual JB/JD/Turkey101/Makers plus Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Jack Daniels Single Barrel. As I said not a huge selection like you can get in KY but better than average for small-town Ohio. The bartender has told me that the manager is a S****H drinker who at least appreciates bourbon. (the S****H selection is even better...when was the last time you saw Macallan 12 or Knockando, Ardbeg, Laphroig, Balvenie etc in a draft house?) The nice thing is he doesnt always buy the same bourbons so there may be a different one every once in a while. "a perfect world would have Buffalo Trace in every bar"

I have found the spring of eternal life. After spending all day with my Dad in the rehab center, I ventured out to the local bars/pubs/restaurants for dinner. Actually, I have done this for over a week at the hospital and its vicinity, but now I am doing in the neighborhood where Dad's rehab facility is located.

I hit the gold mine tonight. I ventured into a place that didn't look like much from the outside, but their sign promised, if I remember correctly, a captivating menu (or something like that). It was Furlongs on Frankfort Avenue in L'ville in the Clifton neighborhood.

I walked in and saw a relatively new place (4 years old) with linen tablecloths and linen napkins. Immediately, of course, I knew this place had either class or attitude. smirk.gif But, then I saw the selection behind the bar - I fell in love. To the left of center stage was Ezra Brooks 15 yo SB, Buffalo Trace, Old Forrester, Wild Turkey, and Woodfood Reserve. On the bottom left shelf was Rebel Yell and Ezra Brooks.

To the right of center stage and on the bottom shelf was Jim Beam white, Jim Beam black, and Makers Mark.

At center stage was (drum roll please) Sazarac Rye, Pappy 20 yo, ORVW 12 yo, ORVW Family Reserve Rye, Bookers, Corner Creek, Bakers, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Blantons, Jefferson Reserve, EC 18 yo, Sam Houston, Elmer T. Lee SB, Rare Breed, JD SB, Gentleman Jack, and Evan Williams SB.

Wait, the best is yet to come. I ordered Pappy 20 yo, neat, in a snifter, at $9.50. Most of you are familiar with the habit where the bartender lays the snifter sideways and pours until the bourbon reaches the top lip. Shoot, with these snifters, that produced a half full snifter. I was shocked. This was at least two pours' worth, if not three. I happily accepted the glass. yum.gif

The theme of the restaurant is, of course, horse racing, but the menu has many Cajun dishes. I had the catfish stuffed with crabmeat, shrimp, and crawfish. yum.gif

I ordered a second Pappy and got bold. I asked the cute barmaid what was up with the generous pours. She said it was house policy to pour to the lip (when sideways). I am definitely going back!

The only downside to this place is that it isn't old and doesn't have that neighborhood feel. But, I think I could forgive it for that, especially, if I could drag one of my SB.com friends to this place. cool.gif

I highly recommend this place. So far, this is the best combination of food and bourbon I have found in L'ville. (Disclaimer - I have not been to the Oak Room at the Seelbach yet.)

CL:

I don't know if you are a man of faith, but as I read your story about Furlongs, I could picture you at its entrance, wondering whether or not to go inside. Just then, an unseen hand opens the door and gentle, soothing voice says: "You are a good son. Enter here and find a well-deserved respite."

SpeedyJohn

Sounds like a much needed meal and drink! Glad to hear it and thanks for passing this along!

I found Furlongs on the web. Here is their blurb and here is a review of their restaurant <a=href"http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/furlongs.shtml">http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/furlongs.shtml</a>

Furlongs, creator Tommy Walters hails from Lafayette, Louisiana, where he grew up cooking alongside his father, noted Cajun chef Roland Walters. Tommy perfected authentic southwest Louisiana cooking and has brought his own signature dishes to share with Kentucky diners. Tommy opened Furlongs in Lexington, Kentucky in 1992 on the corner of Ashland and Main Streets. It was so successful that a second Furlongs opened in Louisville in November 1998, winning one of the city’s “Best New Restaurants†awards.

The Furlongs menu is filled with delectable options from seafood and pasta favorites to out-of-this-world chef’s specials. Entrees include several varieties of Blackened Fresh Fish, Soft-Shell Crab, Gumbo and house specialty Mignon Ecrivesse, a nine-ounce fillet topped with crawfish etoufee. Homemade soups change daily, and all the salad dressings are Walter’s original secret recipes. Prices range from $7.95 for Blackened Chicken Salad and $14.95 for Stuffed Catfish, to $29.95 for Steak and Lobster. Save room for dessert and try the melt-in-your-mouth Beignets, fried dough dusted with confectioner’s sugar.

Nestled in the heart of “restaurant row†on historic Frankfort Avenue, Furlong’s is housed in a restored 1890s home with beautiful, original mantels and pocket doors. The dramatic bar flows out to the covered porch and onto the open-air patio, and the sweet sounds of jazz and blues provide a wonderful backdrop for friendly conversations. Walters’ love for horses is mixed with original Louisiana art to create a comfortable, relaxed New Orleans atmosphere.

Furlongs is located at 2350 Frankfort Avenue near Ewing Street, and is brightly outlined with festive lights. Furlongs is open for dinner from 4 to 10 p.m. Sunday and Tuesday through Thursday, remains open until 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. The restaurant is closed on Monday. For information or to make reservations, call (502) 896-2610.

CL,

Furlong's is a great restaurant. The original is here in Lexington and I'm a regular. Check out the Courier Journal on Fridays. They may have a coupon for $15.00 off on one entree with purchase of two. Bourbon selection is awesome and pours are generous. I love the logo, a jockey riding a crawdad. Eat out and often.

cool.gifcool.gif

post-51-14489811231183_thumb.gif

I could have used this information when I was in Lexington a couple of weeks ago frown.gif -- I'll know for next time. I'll try their Louisville spot when I can. THANKS

Bardstown Road in the Highlands is probably the most eclectic part of Louisville. The section of Frankfort Avenue which is on the East side of Downtown at the Clifton neighborhood , is experiencing some growth and emulates the Highlands. ( As Martha would say " A Good Thing") So I'm not too off topic , a touch of Stagg.

I W Harper 15 year from the Heritage Collection. I didn't think I would like this bourbon but it's not all that bad. It is fairly smooth and aged nicely with a clean finish. Although I think it would have benefitted being bottled slightly higher than just 80 proof. frown.gif Still, a rare find and a decent pour! toast.gif

post-87-14489811231393_thumb.jpg

WT 101 on the rocks, with just a splash of last night's leftover Russell's Reserve (which I had the presence of mind to cover before retiring for the evening).

I find Wild Turkey puzzling on more than one level. I've yet to do a side-by-side with comparable whiskey from other bottlers where the WT came out on top, and yet I keep coming back to it, and I find it satisfying almost every time.

Their marketing is a curious mixture of inspiration and incompetence. I love their slogan "Not the latest thing -- the genuine thing."

On the other side is the RB Society, which I have lambasted elsewhere, and my recent discovery that their website contains information about The Bourbon Festival -- the one to be held in the year 2001! shocked.gif

Has some corporate marketing type decided to strip-mine the Wild Turkey image rather than build for the future? crazy.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

hot.gifI agree with you Dave that WT does have some disappointing aspects. I wish they had someone with some 'authority' that frequented this board to read our comments. After a few email's of a personal matter, the whole Rare Breed Society ( bs.gif)and those damn labels that I still have NOT received since mailing in their mailer last December ( horseshit.gif)I am rather frustrated with a company the size of WT. I do like their line-up but Customer Satisfaction means alot to me and they have really failed in this department. hot.gif

Tonight it's a Manhattan made with VWFR Rye 13yo. I was a little torn on whether to splash vermouth into such a fine spirit, but I decided I wanted this one top notch. And yes, it DEFINITELY is!! bowdown.gif

Well, in case anybody cares what I'm doing in my Igloo in the north, I'm actually drinking a fine homebrew beer. Yes beer. But it's really a CHASER. I warmed up the taste buds with an ElijahCraig 12yo then dove into a wee shot of Bookers, neat of coarse. Hmmmm. toast.gif

I was staying in the Upper Highlands the last couple weeks at my great uncle's. I would agree that the Bardstown Road area north of 264 is very electic. I visited a few places, but nothing worth writing about.

My Mom grew up right off Bardstown Road, near St. James Church, on Beringer.

Sitting at the picnic table on the back porch with my wireless lap-top and enjoying the last of a bottle of Rare Breed. In the distance I can see about 30 hot air balloons as they slowly descend towards the large open playing fields of a local college. The last of the days light is nearly gone,a light breeze with seventy degrees....great day.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!