What are you drinking right now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tom it is a rare and glorious moment when you and I agree anymore. Tonight I'll have another drink in our honor toast.gif

Eagle Rare 101 (aged ten years).

I thought I was ordering ER Single Barrel. My disappointment in not finding what I was hankering for, when I dug into the several-months-old, Sam's shipping box this afternoon, is countered by the fact that I get to try a new bourbon.

The back label contains one allegation of fact that I find interesting, to wit: "In the end, about one barrel in every 37 laid down is judged fine enough to become Eagle Rare."

Does anyone know whether that statement is accurate? If so, then what happens to the other 36 barrels? Do some of them become, let's say, Buffalo Trace? Is the ER single barrel picked from among those one-in-37 barrels?

My first impression of this bourbon is that it shares the cognac-like quality that I get from the ERSB. In addition, on the palate it compares very favorably with the Kentucky Spirit that I had a little earlier this afternoon. (However, the nose is almost non-existent by comparison.) I also note that it is smoother than WT 101, not that I automatically consider that a plus. The finish turns from sweet to bitter to somewhere in between. Fascinating.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

As posted earlier on "What you can do with out ..." it's a BIG glass of ORVW 15yr 107 ,,,, but what was a real eye openner was what my wife said about my bourbon supply /stash

And I quote " I will not say a word about YOUR bourbon I will get you cash , coupons etc , for your drink, just as long as you stay away from MY fabric ...." She is in to quilting and such ,,,, Hmmmm judging from my stock and the stock she has it looks like a shopping run is in ordrer to balance the stock piles ,,,, ? Bourbon War ...? grin.gif

Bill G,

Got alot of shopping and tasting to do now ... wink.gif

Ummm, it sounds to me like you are in trouble. Usually, "I will not say a word...", translates to "You are not going to hear the end of this". skep.gif

Good luck, Tim

Usually, "I will not say a word...", translates to "You are not going to hear the end of this".

Either that, or "I'm going to use this as carte blanche to splurge on EVERYTHING else."

banghead.gif

McAfee's Benchmark. Neat. In my J.D. rocks glass.

I don't know why people bash this one. It's cheap. It's drinkable. (I'm not the only reviewer who thinks so.) It tastes like real bourbon to me. It has a nicer finish than OWR... and palate...and nose.

It's on the light, simple side (I defy anyone to taste exotic flavor elements in this one), but for the $10.99 price it's hard to beat in these parts.

Hell, I may replace this bottle before I replace my nearly empty Kentucky Spirit -- and I could do it four times for the same price.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Hell, I may replace this bottle before I replace my nearly empty Kentucky Spirit -- and I could do it four times for the same price.

Shhhh, Jeff may hear you! grin.gif

Just polished off my first bottle of Van Winkle 13YOFR Rye. Could well be the smoothest whiskey I have ever come across, but I found the finish to be a little short and bland.

I think I may try Wild Turkey Rye sometime in the future, but for the moment back to Maker's Mark.

After a while away from Makers (getting stuck into Stagg, Van Winkle Rye and various Wild Turkey offerings) I can detect a floral, perfume edge to the nose that has escaped me before. Also I can taste lots of white pepper tonight, that again, is a first for me.

Has anyone else had a while away from a fave and noticed a different slant on things on their return?

Has anyone else had a while away from a fave and noticed a different slant on things on their return?

Most definately! As I kept (and still) continue to buy different offerings, my tastes are always changing and becoming more developed. Bottles I used to love, such as Makers Mark, now just don't do much for me. Makers Mark was one of the first 'better' bourbons I bought after drinking JD Black, Beam white etc... Back then it was so smooth and sweet, but since it has taken a place on the back burner to bourbon's I find more complex and unique. Every so often, I must admit, something still makes me go out and buy a small bottle of it for old times sake.

You betcha! And it was Maker's Mark! Except for me it was something to do with the barrel char--something that never bothered me before and ever since I tasted it that first time that's ALL I taste. It's a real sooty used-cigarette-butt type of taste that overwhelms the other flavors. YMMV.

deadhorse.gif

Every so often, I must admit, something still makes me go out and buy a small bottle of it for old times sake.

Last summer while staying on the Las Vegas Strip I was absolutely DETERMINED to find a good bourbon for the hotel room. I was somewhat restricted by not having a rental car, and it took a deliberate search to find anything worth drinking. I'll tell you--when you guys talk about there being "no other bourbon in the world", that night Maker's Mark was absolute ambrosia.

If Maker's tastes like used cigarette butts I'm having a pack of 20 tonight!

It's a great change of pace from Stagg and the rest, almost like a "lite bite" as opposed to the main course.

I remember being in Vegas in '96 on leave from the British Army. (We were on exchange with your troops in Fort Lewis.)

I had lost all my money in 30 mins at the blackjack tables and went to drown my sorrows with a couple of mates at a bar called "The Spotted Cow." It was right at the end of the Strip near the Sahara where we were staying. Spike the barman listened to my woes (as he had doubtless done with other people a million times before!) told a couple of funnies and then came the killer blow!!

"Guys, this ones on me!" A couple of large free pours of Wild Turkey later and all did not look so bad.

To explain; I had always watched films from the USA with the all seeing all knowing barman and wondered if it could be true. Could a barman really be as cool as in the movies? Well that day/night Spike was the man and then some!

The last sips of a bottle of Kentucky Spirit. Goodbye old friend, you have served me well.

Finished off my Blanton's last night and just now finally finished that rancid bottle of Basil Hayden's that was taking up room for WAY too long now... I think now I'll pop open a bottle of Rare Breed . smile.gif

Homemade mint juleps! yum.gif Fantastic!

After I got out of the hospital visiting my Dad, I headed out for a late dinner (9 pm) on Bardstown Road, north of Watterson in L'ville, KY. After dinner, I called up my Grandmother (who is a night owl) and my Aunt and Uncle who are staying at her house.

When I arrived, my Aunt (and Godmother) offered me a mint julep. I declined at first thinking of prefab mint julep mixes. My Uncle told me I wanted to try this. The drinks were wonderful. My Grandmother grows her own mint and makes her own syrup. She boils sugar and water and then adds mint stems to soak overnight. What is left is a syrup that she freezes for the times her favorite grandson shocked.gif comes over.

Even after freezing, the mint seemed so fresh. It immediately took me back to my childhood when my Dad and many of my relatives grew their own mint. I remember as a kid picking leaves and chewing on them for a blast of cool mint.

For the record, the bourbon that graced the mint was Henry McKenna 80 proof. My Uncle told me that my Grandfather liked HK, so my Aunt had brought some to my Grandmother's house.

BTW, while we were sitting around talking, I asked my Grandmother about which Ripys that she and Grandpa were friends with in Lawrenceburg. She said that they were real good friends with Ernie Jr. and Neat Ripy. Ernie ran the JTS Brown distillery (which later was bought by Austin Nichols) where my Grandfather worked for a while after he worked at Old Joe.

The other Ripys that were good friends were Tom (Ernie's brother) and his wife Hazel. Tom ran the Lawrenceburg Transfer trucking company.

My Aunt and Uncle set my Grandmother up with a computer shocked.gif and asked her to document all this history for us. I told her I would help. So, in the coming months, I hope (working in between helping my Mom and Dad) to have alot more Holman Bryant history.

CL,

My Grandmother grows her own mint and makes her own syrup. She boils sugar and water and then adds mint stems to soak overnight.

Your Grandmother is a a wise woman... yum.gif That's the real way to make 'em.

I would be interested to hear her version of an Old Fashioned (in another thread, of course... grin.gif). My guess is, she went to the Pendennis Club years ago.

Sorry I missed ya'll when you came thru town. Please send my good wishes to your Daddy.

Later,

Bj

Finishing off my bottle of Jim Beam Black.

It is too soft for my taste. I like that 101 or better that when you lean in to take a big wiff, your eyes burn. Now THAT'S whiskey...

ooo.gif

To celebrate the new price and final bottling of some of the best bourbon still around I'm drinking A.H. Hirsch 16 yo bowdown.gif. I really hate to see this one go and know I'll never be able to get it again years from now...

This is a great whiskey, and stocks are limited, but at the price mentioned, it is a remarkable value. We must not forget the 20 year old version, which Sam's still carries too. I have half a bottle that I had purchased (of all places) in Calgary, Alberta. For those willing to lay out what the retailers are asking, it is a real treat. I know some people feel it is too woody, but truly it is not. It is more smoky (char) than woody. To me, woody means too much tannic acid - the Hirsch/Michter's 20 year old has no such edge, just rich smoke (a bit like JD Single in this regard), very concentrated, luscious taste, and (underneath) that unique Michter's taste which is even more evident in the 16 year old version (because younger, thus the keynote is less "disguised"). This is not quite a bourbon taste to my palate and not quite rye - it is just but no less than Michter's of Pennsylvania, which was a unique sour mash whiskey. The 16 year old is a much better value, but the 20 provides a once in a lifetime experience. Some bars still serve it by the shot, I saw the 20 (and 16) Hirsches not long ago at DBA's in New York.

By the way, the Johnnie Walker Blue Label is a very good whisky, but in that neighborhood of money I'd put mine on the Hirsch 20 year old any day. In Johnnie Walker, I feel the less costly (relatively) Gold Label is much better value than the fabled Blue - and frankly better tasting.

Gary

Weller 19yo. I'm really growing fond of this one. Figures that once I start to like it, it goes away. But such luck is typical for me frown.gif I think I'm getting a bottle of Pappy 20 for my anniversary laugh.gif. I'm looking forward to a comparative tasting of the old wheaters.

Old Rip Van Winkle Old Time Rye, 12yo 90 proof. Having my first sips of this one as I write this, and all I can say is, "WOW." I happened upon a local liquor store that I don't often frequent and to my suprise this one lone bottle occupied the shelf. Well of course this was a no-brainer, as it is next to impossible to find. I wish there was more, but I'll take it cool.gif Rich and smooth flavor with stong apple notes in the nose and lots of vanilla on the palate. I look forward to a comparative tasting with the 13yo very soon. I didn't think any rye could top the 13yo, but maybe...just maybe.

P.S. I also stumbled upon about 5 bottles of Wild Turkey 12yo. When money permits, I plan to make them mine smoke.gif

post-134-14489811230907_thumb.jpg

Clogsdon and I started out our visit last Monday with the 12YO VanWinkle Rye. I didn't think to ask him how it compared with the 13. ( What say you, CL?) I have a few 13s Bunkered, But as yet have none open. Somehow I expect the thirteen to be better , but it doesn't have to be. I like the 12 a lot. grin.gif

I say the 12 yo rye was excellent. I can't say how it compares to the 13 yo, as I wasn't trying to think about that when I tasted your 12 yo. I wanted just to sip and enjoy.

In fact, since circumstances are keeping me in L'ville for many more days, I think I will have to make some drop in visits to various stores to try to locate some 12 yo rye.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!