What are you drinking right now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Rip Van Winkle Old Time Rye, 12 years old.

This came in my Binny's order about a month ago. I had forgotten about it until it came to hand as I was rooting around in the box of styrofoam to see what was left of that shipment.

Is this really younger than the VWFR 13 year-old rye? It tastes much more barrel-like than the 13, IIRC. I'm not sure which I like better, and I guess it doesn't really matter, since the supply of the 12 is supposedly now exhausted. (Didn't someone here say that recently?)

In any case, chalk up another one (excellent whiskey, that is) for Julian.

Yours truly,

Dave "Had four drinks; gotta stop now" Morefield

Yes Dave, as far as I know the 12 year is all gone and not being bottled anymore. I think I'll have to do a side by side one of these weekends for both these fine rye's. smile.gif

While I'm here, a hefty pour of Wild Turkey 12 year. The perfect pour to finish off the perfect weekend! usflag.gif

"Good lord what are you drinking? It looks like a glass of treacle!" This is how I was greeted tonight, by the girl I live with.

"It's a glass of Stagg my dear."

"Oh so after waiting so long to get hold of it, you are straight into it aren't you!" she said/shouted.

Fair enough, because she did find my credit card reciept, so there is no bluffing her with the price. (What I paid for Stagg in England would make you guys shudder, trust me!)

"Smells like rum!" she said before sloping off to bed.

What so I'm the bad guy? After visiting this site and listening to those that know, I have to agree that the hype is true. STAGG RULES!! (Remember I am someone who does not run with the crowd. I like Makers, and have little time for Knob Kreek, EWSB, Elijah Craig, and other forum faves.)

Because I live I England I am miles/months behind you guys, however, now I have tasted Stagg I know what you were all on about.

It does live up to the hype but I can't say why - other than it is strong, CRISP, clean, and even better than bowdown.gif Rock Hill Farms and Bookers.

It ain't for pussies though!

Have fun guys - I know I am.

The perfect pour

Tonight i meandered through every luxuriant drop of my Glass of Eagle Rare 17 year. . .

TomC

Ancient Ancient Age 10yo. I am determined this week to clear out all of the "1 drink left" bottles that are cluttering my cabinet and this is my first victim. Nice medium body with hints of oak and sandalwood in the nose. Taste is nutty with some vanilla for good measure. Finish is slightly warm, but relatively smooth. Great value bourbon yum.gif

Of course my housekeeping will be confounded by my desire to replace these empty bottles, so I guess the only thing to do is buy a bigger cabinet grin.gif

OK, 1 hour later and a glass of Old Fitz 1849. This is a pretty good bourbon for the price, but I prefer the BIB and it's a couple dollars less.

Getting a little of that notorious acetone bs.gif in the nose along with a little honey and camphor. Taste is slightly astringent, but with some nice cedar undertones and a floweriness I can't put my finger on. Finish is a little hot for my liking. I probably won't replace this one as a standard.

Jeff,

So you're saying the 1849 finishes hotter than the BIB? How curious. I've found it to be quite the opposite. I agree, though, that the BIB has a fuller, less quirky flavor on the nose and palate.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

My own experiences with these two bourbons match up more closely with Dave's experience.

I normally keep a bottle of each open in my cabinet. I don't have them very often though because I can't buy them locally, so I take it easy on them to make them last. I don't stock them in the bunker, because they are good, not great bourbons. But, they are both go to bourbons when I want a relaxing, easy drink.

But, like Jeff, I think I will be letting one of them go. I need more room to fit that 1.75 liter of WL Weller 12 yo I plan to get this weekend in L'ville. ;-) I think I will drop the 1849, even though I like it's flavor a little better, because the BIB is cheaper, it comes in a 1 liter bottle, and its bottle takes up less room. (Sounds like politics in the liquor cabinet, doesn't it?)

I am in L'ville for the weekend. I drove from my parents' house in WV. My wife and kids flew in from NC. While I was waiting for their plane to land, I checked into the Galt House. I thought I had a great rate at $99/night. But, the first room was not cleaned. The second room was next to the ice machine. So, I called the front desk again and am now in a large suite for the same $99 price. ;-)

But, anyhow, while waiting for my wife's delayed plane, I headed up to the 25th floor bar with 125 bourbons. Damn, not open until 5 pm (it was 3:30 pm). I headed down to the lobby bar. Really poor. 5 scotches, 1 Canadian whisky, 1 Irish whisky, 1 Kentucky whisky, 1 mint julep, and only four bourbons, the best of which was Woodford Reserve, which is what I started with. I am already a fan of this bourbon, but I rarely buy it because of the price/value ratio.

After I picked up the family from the airport, the wife and I went to the 25th floor bourbon bar. I had Ezra Brooks 15 yo based on the comments here recently. Very good!

Then we ate at Deke's for dinner and I had a Kentucky Spirit to go with it. Honestly, I don't understand the hype, but I will give this one another chance.

Tommorrow it's a Maker's Mark tour followed by dragging the kids to the Getz to see their great grandfather's stuff. Then tomorrow night the wedding activities for the weekend start (my cousin's wedding).

What a week , I have been covering for vaction time since Sunday night , but also trying to get work done at the farm , ,,, well Wednesday morning my wife dropped the kids off at work , (we work for the same company , me nights her days ) and I was going to down to the farm ... well less than a half a mile from home I had a women with her two grandchildren in a 03' Honda Accord cut out in front of me from a stop sign , ,, I had time to see her start out and was on the breaks but we still hit , .. my front drivers side corner on her drivers side door ,, hot.gifbanghead.gif... I have a witness that say she pulled out in front and are amazed that for the impact there was not more damage , I am still driving mine such as it is (no airbag deployment ) and no one hurt ,, thats the best part of this mess , ...

Accident report by the police has her saying she did not see me crazy.gif.... big blue Ram full size ? banghead.gif

Well after all the run around , today after work and before I went to sleep this morning it was a TALL glass of ORVW 107 , 15yr straight up smile.gifdrink.gif....

Once more all is fine and right with the world , Aaaaahhhhh..... williamaccident_0070.jpg

Bill g.

Just glad no one was hurt ,

Glad no one was hurt, Bill. A Stagg might have made a bigger dent, so you are a fortunate Boubonian.

The wife and kids konked out about 10:30 pm, so I hit the Galt House's 25th floor bar for some samples. They have a deal where you can get 1/2 oz of three bourbons. They give you a placard to write your tasting notes. The backside has tips on how to taste bourbon.

I chose to go for the unusual. I chose Rowan's Creek (100.1, 12 yo), Noah's Mill (114.3, 15 yo), and Corner Creek (88, 8 yo). For my second round, at the barkeep's suggestion to try more from the same distiller, I chose KY Pride (90 10 yo), KY Vintage (90, no age statement, but at least 10 based on the distilled date given), and Pure KY XO (107, 14 yo).

I was too relaxed and lazy to do any formal tasting notes. In fact, I need alot more than 1/2 oz and sometimes more than one night to judge a bourbon adequately. But, I will say of the first batch, the Noah's Mill was the most interesting, but I wonder if this was due to it's higher proof (114). Of the second batch, the KY Vintage surprised me with a stronger aroma and more robust taste than its 90 proof would indicate.

I will say, though, that none of these bourbons floored me tonight. But given my relaxed mood and the sensory overload trying to assess the 9 different bourbons I sampled today may have contributed to that.

Imagine having 9 different bourbons in one day and not getting a buzz. Sheesh, I am getting too serious about this stuff.

P.S. The Galt House is not what my older relatives think it is. This place has seen better days. It needs a complete renovation. The last straw was the pool overlooking the river was not open. So, we are checking out Sat morning instead of staying through Monday. We found a different place to stay. It's not downtown, but it's new and closer to relatives and very close to Liquor Barn on Hurstbourne, and close to Harper's on Hurstbourne (which has a very good bourbon selection).

Sorry to hear about the troubles, but I think you took appropriate actions afterwards. grin.gif

Since your're in town why not head to Maker's Mark on Saturday morning and run with us in the 3rd annual Distillery 5K?

Because I didn't read your post in time. frown.gif Too bad, it would have been cool to meet ya, even if you were all sweaty.

Today's original plans were to head to the Getz and then to Maker's Mark, but on Friday night the kids negotiated a stay of execution. (They thought they would be too bored to go to Maker's Mark and didn't want the extra time in the car.)

But, I had a trick up my sleeve. I snuck in a tour at Four Roses on the way back from the Getz to L'ville. grin.gif See the Distillery Trips forum for my report.

I am having my first taste of Weller 19yo yum.gif I was at Liquor Barn this evening and there was but one lone bottle on the shelf. Well I figured it was now or never so I forked over the $43 and now it's mine. I am initially impressed as I am getting lots of the flavor that I love in the 12yo, but with a nice creamy, buttery texture. Definately getting some barrel notes here that are quite pleasant. Nice and warm on the finish with a lingering presence in the back of the throat. Two thumbs up! toast.gif

For my last drink of the night OFBB. Folks I love this stuff. It's a good thing it is not $10 a bottle; I would be in trouble.

Yummy stuff, huh? I am glad you liked it. It seems to me everyone who is a real fan of wheated bourbon should get a chance to try this one.

TomC

post-89-14489811191637_thumb.jpg

After a nice stroll in Central Park with my two ladies, I'm enjoying a VOB on the rocks.

OFBB is in my top two, as well. I can't decide if it is number one or number two, though. It is probably number one, I just can't stand the fact that its a limited bottling that will soon be all gone. frown.gif

Tim

Imagine having 9 different bourbons in one day and not getting a buzz. Sheesh, I am getting too serious about this stuff.

lol.gif.....You're just a certified bourbon geek like the rest of us misfits! grin.gif

OFBB is in my top two, as well. I can't decide if it is number one or number two, though. It is probably number one, I just can't stand the fact that its a limited bottling that will soon be all gone. frown.gif

Tim

OFBB is my best "Special bourbon" it is a bit high $$. But worth every penny. I know where I can buy 4 bottles and I think I will do just that.

Wise move: Regardless of how good the two 2003 OFBB bottlings are, you will be glad to have a stash of the 2002. It is, indeed, a fine bourbon and you'll be able to make comparisons with future BB bottlings for years to come, including the two new OFBBs coming in a few months. drink.gif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!