what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had my first taste in a while of the cask strength (134.6 proof) Bowman Rye bottled from barrel 2 by Party Source. My one bottle is being drunk very slowly as it was my favorite whiskey from last years releases and perfect at 100 proof. Finished up with some Old Fitz BIB from DSP 16 bottled in 1995 which ain't to shabby either :grin: .

Enjoying some 2011 WLW. Great stuff. Also made some dessert using OCPR. Enjoyed that as well.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats, clingman.

I'm toasting you (and a friend who got married today) with 4RSmB. I guess I'm one of the few who likes the small batch better than the single barrel. The fruitiness reminds me a great deal of the whiskey I used to sneak back in the early 90s. Not unlike some old Walker's Deluxe that I have open.

I'm enjoying a bottle of WT101. Others I have had recently were thin and seemingly . . . watery. Not this one. I bought several more for $18.

Enjoying the second-to-last pour of my Col. E.H. Taylor Old Fashioned Sour Mash. Many have debated whether the E.H. Taylor releases are worth the money, but I absolutely love this one. The problem now is figuring out where to find another one.

I came away from what I think is my first experience at a state run liquor store with a bottle of RR 10/90. It was a clean, bourbon-ish whiskey with almost a complete lack of personality. If I bought it and opened it at home, it would absolutely be forgotten at the back of the cabinet and/or experimented with in vattings. I held out a glimmer of hope despite low expectations, but it turned out to meet the expectations, sans the hope.

I finished the bottle with my cousin over a day or three, but he brought Rebel Yell to the table, so not the most discerning of drinkers...

Cooled down enough to sip on a little FR1B selected by merchants pkg.

Started the night with some FRSmB followed by some ER101 and finishing the night with some Bowman Gift Shop 18yr @107 proof. :cool:

MM46 slightly chilled. Don't usually care for it, but on an evening when it is still in the 80s at 10:30 at night it is kind of hitting the spot.

Can one whiskey just abaolutely kill your pallate? After being subjected to a blind taste test rhat included Eagle Rare 10, Woodford Distillers Select, Yamazaki 12, and Bowmore Islay 12, I tried to get the taste of of Scotch out of my mouth first with some OWA, then some EC12 and finally gave up after my KCSB tasted odd as well. (Nothing seems to be able to wash away the iodine and band aids taste of Islay)

Can one whiskey just abaolutely kill your pallate? After being subjected to a blind taste test rhat included Eagle Rare 10, Woodford Distillers Select, Yamazaki 12, and Bowmore Islay 12, I tried to get the taste of of Scotch out of my mouth first with some OWA, then some EC12 and finally gave up after my KCSB tasted odd as well. (Nothing seems to be able to wash away the iodine and band aids taste of Islay)

I believe you were looking for milk...

I think it's entirely possible that tasting something like Islay scotch could spoil your palate for bourbons you usually like in that same night.

I think it's entirely possible that tasting something like Islay scotch could spoil your palate for bourbons you usually like in that same night.

I made the mistake of serving hot salsa and chips with bourbon a few weeks ago, and milk indeed was the remedy. I wish I had pictures of that!

Now for spicy or acidic foods I would have thought of milk. Have to keep that in mind.

Guess my palate is not "sophisticated" enough for Islay. I seem too entrenched in the bourbon world to be lured over to the dark side.

Last evening was a Bowman SB 14YO followed by a 2008 ORVW 10/107 from 2008 that tastes like a vanilla bomb.... one of the best I have had!!

I know how you feel I had that happen to me at the sampler nasty stuff.

I rolled up the evening with a pour of the Curtis/Hightower FRSB while in chat last night.

Just a stellar bottle, top to bottom.

I rolled up the evening with a pour of the Curtis/Hightower FRSB while in chat last night.

Just a stellar bottle, top to bottom.

One of the best Four Roses..... !!!

Some of the damage from yesterday. A marathon of a tasting at dridge11's place with yountvillewjs. Probably worked our way through 10 dusty minis, 10 or so samples and a bunch of other goodies. A great way to spend memorial day!

4cfdca84.jpg

a JRPS 17yr Mint Julep on this sunny Memorial Day . . . don't know if it's sacreligel, but it's the best damn julep I've ever had.

Correction: the 2009 WLW Julep I just made is the best damn julep ever - listening to Led Zeppelin IV on vinyl while sweeping my outdoors patio . . . holiday indeed!

Pappy 20 and a homemade Hickory aged corn whiskey last night. Undecided about tonight.

Buffalo Trace, tonight. I do appreciate Sazarac's pushing the envelope with all of their experimentals, projects, one-offs, etc.... But, if they just keep making this solid-as-a-rock namesake Buffalo Trace, I'll be happy as a clam.

Buffalo Trace, tonight. I do appreciate Sazarac's pushing the envelope with all of their experimentals, projects, one-offs, etc.... But, if they just keep making this solid-as-a-rock namesake Buffalo Trace, I'll be happy as a clam.

I had some BT from an old bottle at my son's house yesterday.It has been a long time since I had any BT and found this bottle very good.

Joe :usflag:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!