what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ahhh..its the end of the work week, its 75° in O H I O, the birds are chirping, March Madness is in full swing, and there's a tornado ripping through my Glencairn ..All is right in this world.

Oh $hit, I need to check my eBay auction to see if my PVW 15 sold for $250..:slappin:

You're early. The first full day of Spring is next week.

You're early. The first full day of Spring is next week.

Mid to high 70's, middle of March, in Ahia and the grass needs cut. Spring came early

Mid to high 70's, middle of March, in Ahia and the grass needs cut. Spring came early

I'd tend to agree, mid 70's in MN already, you bet it's spring!! I'll take it! :cool:

B

Well not yet spring.

There is a new phenomena now know as tornadoes in winter. How is that anyhow?

I'd say its spring here in Colorado too. Mid seventies for the past couple of weeks. Things are starting to turn green. I guess this globe is warming?

The thermometer read 91 on the back porch yesterday. Spring is over and Summer is here.

Last night was a lovely evening and my friends and I shared some Taylor Tornado, Pappy 15, Michter's 10yr sb, and finished with a pour of 4R LE 2011. On this night, surprisingly we preferred the Tornado and the Michter's to the Pappy by a little and the 4R was least favored.

The thermometer read 91 on the back porch yesterday. Spring is over and Summer is here.

Last night was a lovely evening and my friends and I shared some Taylor Tornado, Pappy 15, Michter's 10yr sb, and finished with a pour of 4R LE 2011. On this night, surprisingly we preferred the Tornado and the Michter's to the Pappy by a little and the 4R was least favored.

Doesn't surprise me that at 91 outside you prefered bottles that were lower proof.

Strange how some nights your palate is just off. Poured a small pour each of Kahn's EC12 and SB Blend. The nose of the EC was spice, with cherry lingering in the background. A second, deeper nosing reveals more of the fruit with eucalytus and mint now as well. I'm not picking up any vanilla, caramel, or wood on the nose. Then I taste and am overwhelmed with wood, too much wood. Strange, I've never felt of EC12 as being too woody, just my palate tonight.

Then on to the SB Blend. Still getting cherry on the nose, but not as pronounced as with the EC. Again, a strange lack of vanilla, brown sugar, etc. I drink it and am happy to not have the crazy wood like the EC, but it is still just "off". I had a small pour of this earlier this week and it was a beautiful combination of sweet brown sugar and spice, cherry/dark fruit-but less than tonight, adding to the complexity vs dominating, rich mouthfeel with a nice long finish, balance of bold flavor and smoothness of age, just right. Hard to explain, they both just taste different than they usually do, and neither for the better.

Drinking Irish tomorrow, hopefully Sunday will bring with it a refreshed bourbon palate.

BT, OWA, now some Pappy 15 with a nice Cuban. MIght hit up some FR1B next. Gotta love June weather in March. :)

In order of preference for the evening

GTS 2011

Col. EH Taylor Sour Mash

Ritt BIB

WRDO

Ezra B SB 12

Sounds like any expensive (and wonderful) night! :bigeyes:

Is this thread about the weather, or bourbon? ;)

Both! They go hand in hand. Anytime you've got weather, its a good time for bourbon. :cool:

In honor of Justified, I am having Elmer T Lee.

YES! Justified! Best show on TV at the moment? (I thought it was interesting last week when the band in the beginning was singing about Jack + Coke when its set in Kentucky... I haven't spent much time in either state but I assumed their was a great deal of pride about their respective whiskeys)

Oh, and tonight I'm enjoying the last of my 1792. Good stuff.

Staying at a cabin with 9 good friends. We're drinking FR OESO, BMH, and Pappy 15. Very nice evening.

Last night, while enjoying the lovely 60-something degrees it was in the Cleveland area, I poured some Glenlivet 12 and followed it with WT 101 (Oh, the joys of being a college student with little $). It's interesting to see how one pour can affect your palate for anything that follows it. I've had plenty of Turkey in my time, but I noticed things about it last night that I never have before.

Last night, while enjoying the lovely 60-something degrees it was in the Cleveland area, I poured some Glenlivet 12 and followed it with WT 101 (Oh, the joys of being a college student with little $). It's interesting to see how one pour can affect your palate for anything that follows it. I've had plenty of Turkey in my time, but I noticed things about it last night that I never have before.

It does seem that Bourbon is usually richer, deeper, sweeter and more complex when it follows a pour of Scotch doesn't it?

Finishing a FR1B pour then moving to the JPS17 with a la aroma de cuba

Just cracked open my first ever Pappy, PVW 20, to celebrate a great Kentucky game tonight. This is some smooth bourbon.

Great cookout with neighbors tonight. He likes the dark side stuff but has to mix bourbon normally. Poured him a SB Vat, Taylor Tornado and Ritt BIB all neat. Now I need to lock cabinets when he comes over.

It isn't bourbon, but I'm toasting the success of Ohio basketball with some OYO Wheat Whiskey.

Go Muskies!!!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!