what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Drinking some 2002 Evan Williams Single Barrel on the rocks right now. It's not bad, considering what I paid. But I don't think I'll be buying another bottle.

Trying my first sip of Black Maple Hill. Not sure what it is, how old it is, or where it came from, but I like it!

Nose: Dark Molasses, Wintergreen, Leather, Allspice, White Pepper

Palate: Liquorice, Dark Chocolate, Spearmint, sprinkle of brown sugar

Finish: Mocha and Cigar Box, with a kick of black pepper

Very dark, deep, rich flavors-- quite unique, in my (admittedly-limited) experience.

RR 90. One of the most bourbon-y bourbons out there. If someone asked me what bourbon tastes like, I think I would give them this.

Some OWA single barrel while grilling some chicken this evening, and now I'm enjoying some FRSB 16 Year Gift Shop Release.

Standard issue FR1B. I could drink this every day.

I totally agree Dog. And at $30.50 including tax per bottle from TPS when you buy a case, its a total no-brainer..:cool:

Sipping some ORVW 107 at work to finish out a long day. This bottle's been open a couple months and it's hitting that sweet spot...

some JB Devil's Cut. Anybody else a fan of this? Picked up a 375ml bottle in the bargain bin for 6 bucks

TPS 4R OESQ (and a pimiento cheese sandwich, thanks to provenance). I just opened it today, and I sampled it undiluted and at 100 proof. The 100 proof is more expressive - immediately I was hit by lemon, like full-on whiskey sour. After a while it gets a bit of banana, and the rye mostly comes in the finish, along with a bit of vanilla once that subsides. I am very excited to see how this develops. I'm sure this will be great with a fish and rice dish!

The FRSmB is much lower in the bottle, as tonight warranted a big pour of bourbon. Nothing from a really special bottle, as my nosing is, um, a little off.

Y'see, last night when I went down to the basement to empty the dehumidifier, I noticed lots of water on the floor, leaking from the base of the toilet in the basement. Turning on the water from upstairs produced more puddle. Ugh. Luckily the basement unit doesn't really get used much at all, and the water was from a shower and running the dishwasher.

We called our plumber, and he said call a drain service because he doesn't have a powered snake. We called Roto Rooter, and a very friendly and funny plumber got out of his bed at 11:30 on the night before his daughter's high-school graduation and drove 45 minutes to reach us.

He spent the next 3.5 hours power-snaking out the main-line drain from the house to the sewer. It seems our 250-year-old oak tree really likes to send roots into the pipe where all that nice constant water can be found, enough to choke it off, and we got to see it all on in-pipe video. He cleared it out from 35 feet from the house to 55 feet out at the under-street sewer hookup. Sometimes these guys cost a lot (this visit wasn't cheap, but it was less than I thought it would be), and sometimes they're worth every penny and even a little extra.

Cleanup was today, and it's finally done. Luckily nothing of value got hit, just cement floor, pipes, carpet (now removed), etc.

Time for a whiskey.

Had a really nice evening sitting on the deck with a friend sipping the last of a bottle of OGD114. Some nights the bourbon tastes even better than usual and this was one of those occasions.

I recenty opened up a Binny's single barrel selection of Elmer T. Lee that I picked up in Chicago 4 or 5 years ago. Man, this stuff is really good! Some of the other single barrel selections I've tried were not better, or worse than the regular realeases. This ETL is like butter :grin:

Moar Weller 12 while flipping between the Stanley Cup and the Eastern Conference finals. Had a caipirinha with Leblon earlier. First time having leblon. Tasted a lot more like molasses than cabana or novo fogo, the other cachacas that I've had.

Started off with FR1B from Merchants, then a nice pour of PVW20....so smooth and worth the trade of a few Lot B bottles to a friend. Added bonus of a beautiful Georgia June night.

some JB Devil's Cut. Anybody else a fan of this? Picked up a 375ml bottle in the bargain bin for 6 bucks

I like Devil's Cut. Don't love it, but like it foe when I want a simple, brain dead pour (usually bowling nights, or while watching sports).

For a massed produced bourbon, I have found it varies more than I would expect... a few bottles I have thought were great, while other times, it has had a bitterness that was less than pleasant.

Not bad, but not my favorite. Certainly worth $6 / 375 ml.

Enjoyed too many generous pours of Willett this evening. I'm not looking forward to waking up tomorrow.

Had a really nice evening sitting on the deck with a friend sipping the last of a bottle of OGD114. Some nights the bourbon tastes even better than usual and this was one of those occasions.

In general for me, outside sipping bourbon is a better experience than indoor sipping bourbon.

MAWLS P&C #3 – Four Roses OBSV – 9.4 YO - 110.7PF classic OBSV loaded with vanilla, caramel and spice with a long sweet finish...

still enjoying my vintage 17, but after reading the other topic about it being discontinued, i will probably pick up another bottle tomorrow.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!