Tequila Forum

Max Power

Dos Lunas as a brand is no longer, which is why some places have it on clearance and others have the price jacked up high. I'm glad that I have some extra.

Yikes! Wish I had known that before we pounded down so much of the DL Anejo bottle. I just figured I'd buy another to replace it, so made no effort to stretch the bottle. Now I'm down to a quarter left and will have to do a quick on-line hunt.

Wait, Dos Lunas is gone? I know where some is. Should I buy up some Reposado or Anejo??

http://www.tequila.net/forum/general-tequila-discussions/2205-discontinued-tequilas-2.html

I'd buy it if you can. There's places under $35 online. I'll post links if I can remember them and find them.

Hi Time still has the repo for $22 and blanco for $15. The blanco is a little thin, but is an amazing mixer for $15. I need to taste the repo tonight to remind myself. As I recall the anejo was the best.

http://www.tequila.net/forum/general-tequila-discussions/2205-discontinued-tequilas-2.html

I'd buy it if you can. There's places under $35 online. I'll post links if I can remember them and find them.

Hi Time still has the repo for $22 and blanco for $15. The blanco is a little thin, but is an amazing mixer for $15. I need to taste the repo tonight to remind myself. As I recall the anejo was the best.

I paid $28 for the Dos Lunas Anejo which was a great deal. I think I'll grab the reposado at $22 while I still can.

I paid $28 for the Dos Lunas Anejo which was a great deal. I think I'll grab the reposado at $22 while I still can.

Total Beverage still has the anejo for $38. Every other place I've seen has it for over $50 or is sold out. I can't say it's a must have value at $50+.

https://www.totalbeverage.net/index.php/cart/item?id=360335

I just had the Dos Lunas reposado. It's different than the anejo in flavvor profile, but is a definite sipper. Not as much caramel, but more dark chocolate. It's almost like a dessert by itself...like a rich caramel chocolate frosting with nice oak notes along with it. It still tastes like tequila, but has rich complimentary flavors. I might have to bunker a bottle myself at $22.

I got a sampler of Avion today for $9.99. It included a 50ml bottle each of Silver, Reposado and Anejo. Being relatively new to tequila I can't really give detailed tasting notes, but the Reposado and Anejo were both pretty smooth. I think I liked the Reposado best. Not quite as good as Don Julio Reposado in my opinion.

I just tried the Corzo Silver. Not being a Tequila afficianado, by any stretch of the imagination, It smells and tastes "almost" like home made corn liquor. I'm wishing I hadn't spent the money on this one.

Just put in another order with Hi Times Wine Cellars: Muchote Reposado, Don Fernando Reposado, JLP Presidents Anejo and Corrido Reposado. Looking forward to receiving my order. In the mean time, I'm about to crack open my bottle of Fortaleza Blanco and a cold Bohemia.

I just tried the Corzo Silver. Not being a Tequila afficianado, by any stretch of the imagination, It smells and tastes "almost" like home made corn liquor. I'm wishing I hadn't spent the money on this one.

I got a sampler of Avion today for $9.99. It included a 50ml bottle each of Silver, Reposado and Anejo. Being relatively new to tequila I can't really give detailed tasting notes, but the Reposado and Anejo were both pretty smooth. I think I liked the Reposado best. Not quite as good as Don Julio Reposado in my opinion.

Just put in another order with Hi Times Wine Cellars: Muchote Reposado, Don Fernando Reposado, JLP Presidents Anejo and Corrido Reposado. Looking forward to receiving my order. In the mean time, I'm about to crack open my bottle of Fortaleza Blanco and a cold Bohemia.

I describe Avion to people as a quality, no risks tequila. It has nice agave flavors and is really easy to drink, but there's no defining flavors that make you remember it. I have all 3 bottles and I like it, but I don't go out and tell people that the NEED to get it. Very good, but I can always recommend something in the price range for each age that I like better.

Good to know that it's a quality tequila. I was a bit skeptical of it due to the TV commercials I've seen recently. I do think it is a bit expensive. The anejo here is like $51.99. I can get Don Julio for at least $5 cheaper.

1921 my FAVORITE tequila, mainly the Reserva Especiale, a reposado

Teq1921a.jpg

Teq1921b.jpg

Teq1921c.jpg

btw, I'm pretty sure that the "Scotch" poured in the pivotal bar scene in "Inglorious Basterds" is 1921 tequila

I'd like to get a recommendation in the $20-$30 range for a tequila noob. I never really had a good tequila before, I guess I got scared off by the bad stuff. Last week I was thinking about it and how I used to dislike bourbon as well, because I had only had really bad bourbons! I grabbed a mini of Penca Azul reposado to experiment with it and it's very good. I like the freshness it has, and the salt and pepper in the flavor.

I'd like to get a taste of an anejo now too so I can learn the differences in flavor. I am looking for a mid priced tequila that is a well crafted example of a "typical" tequila flavor profile (if there is such a thing). So where should I start without breaking the bank? Is it beneficial to taste a reposado and anejo from the same brand when learning? As much as I'd love it, a full size Penca Azul is out of range for now.

Good to know that it's a quality tequila. I was a bit skeptical of it due to the TV commercials I've seen recently. I do think it is a bit expensive. The anejo here is like $51.99. I can get Don Julio for at least $5 cheaper.

www.morewines.com has the best price on that and Pura Vida around. Both very good and not too expensive there. I think Avion is $30/35/37 and Pura Vida is $26/28/30 for the ages.

I'd like to get a recommendation in the $20-$30 range for a tequila noob. I never really had a good tequila before, I guess I got scared off by the bad stuff. Last week I was thinking about it and how I used to dislike bourbon as well, because I had only had really bad bourbons! I grabbed a mini of Penca Azul reposado to experiment with it and it's very good. I like the freshness it has, and the salt and pepper in the flavor.

I'd like to get a taste of an anejo now too so I can learn the differences in flavor. I am looking for a mid priced tequila that is a well crafted example of a "typical" tequila flavor profile (if there is such a thing). So where should I start without breaking the bank? Is it beneficial to taste a reposado and anejo from the same brand when learning? As much as I'd love it, a full size Penca Azul is out of range for now.

Something that a local store will have for sure is El Jimador anejo and Milargo Reposado or Anejo. It's bourbon barrel aged and a has a lot of caramel and wood flavors. If you do the online ordering and want to do a few...the link above (www.morewines.com) has a few really good and cheap ones. El Caballo Estrella and Pura Vida would probably be may favorites under $30. They also have the best prices I've seen on Corazon, Casa Noble (which may be a bit earthy for a tequila noob, but is very popular amongst tequila folk), Don Nacho, and Gran Centenario Anejo.

Hope that helps.

Finally got around to opening the Fortaleza Blanco last night--superb! Honestly, the FB is flawless and delivers so much more than your typical mixer-type blanco that it can stand shoulder to shoulder with just about any top-flight tequila I've ever tasted. But once the "tasting" ended and the "drinking" commenced, we switched over to my new standby, Muchote Reposado. I can't get enough of the stuff!

Ok.... I just cracked open a bottle of Don Julio Blanco. I'll say that I definitely think it's better than the Corzo, but I still get that home made corn liquor nose from it. I do like the peppery finish.

Maybe I'm not cut out for Blancos? I really like the Reposados and Anejos, though. :cool:

Ok.... I just cracked open a bottle of Don Julio Blanco. I'll say that I definitely think it's better than the Corzo, but I still get that home made corn liquor nose from it. I do like the peppery finish.

Maybe I'm not cut out for Blancos? I really like the Reposados and Anejos, though. :cool:

Although a bit pricier, you may want to check out the Fortaleza Blanco that I mentioned a post ago. No corn liquor nose there, that's for sure.

I notice some Pura Sangre on the shelf at a store the other day. It caught my eye because I thought it was Porfidio, since the bottle looks exactly the same. They have the glass cactus inside the bottle.

What's the story on this? Any good? Max: I noticed you have a bottle in your collection.

It takes a while to get used to the flavors in blancos...especially the grassier ones. I've always thought Corzo was pretty benign in terms of flavors. Maybe your palate prefers aged spirits. There's nothing wrong with that.

I notice some Pura Sangre on the shelf at a store the other day. It caught my eye because I thought it was Porfidio, since the bottle looks exactly the same. They have the glass cactus inside the bottle.

What's the story on this? Any good? Max: I noticed you have a bottle in your collection.

1. Porfidio at $100+ a bottle is decent, but I have 30 bottles of stuff that's $0 and under that I like better. Porfidio is more about the mystique and being able to find it more than the juice itself.

2. Pura Sangre is quite good. I have it in the newer looking bottle. For the $40 +/- range, it's a decent value. Not something I would say that you NEED to buy, but something that I would say is a good buy. I'd purchase the old cactus bottle if I saw it...but I'm a little bit crazy and have 300+ bottles of tequila, so I may not be the best measuring stick. :grin:

1. Porfidio at $100+ a bottle is decent, but I have 30 bottles of stuff that's $0 and under that I like better. Porfidio is more about the mystique and being able to find it more than the juice itself.

Max, could you please reveal your source for good $0 and under tequila? I'm particularly interested in the -$50 range. :slappin:

For real though, good bottles of Porfidio SBA have been selling for over $300 for a while now. At that price, to me, they aren't worth it. However, when it's a really good bottle, it's up there with the best anejos I've ever had.

Max, could you please reveal your source for good $0 and under tequila? I'm particularly interested in the -$50 range. :slappin:

For real though, good bottles of Porfidio SBA have been selling for over $300 for a while now. At that price, to me, they aren't worth it. However, when it's a really good bottle, it's up there with the best anejos I've ever had.

www.hitimewine.net is probably my favorite seller. I listed maybe a page ago the www.morewines.com has some really good prices on tequilas too (Avion, El Caballo Estrella and Pura Vida).

At Hi Time, like unclebunk will attest to, there are plenty under $50 that are fantastic. Here is my list:

1. Corrido (Anejo - $40, Repo - $35) - Maybe my favorite tequila for the money. Just great stuff.

2. Muchote - $25 - Smooth and complex. For $25, it's a steal.

3. Fortaleza Blanco - $45 - This is one of the best blancos out there and a great example of what to look for in a good blanco.

4. For the ultra best under $20 - JLP The President's Tequila is the best they have. It's awesome and all 3 ages are sub-$20.

At More Wines, I'd rank them 1. El Caballo Estrella Anejo (like creme brulee), 2. Pura Vida Anejo or Repo, 3. Avion Blanco and Reposado. All 3 ages of all 3 lines are good though. And you won't find better prices anywhere than at that site.