Tequila Forum

Max Power

I picked up 50ml each of the Kah Reposado and Kah Anejo. They are in the miniature skull bottles. Really Cool looking! I'm surprised to see that the Reposado is 110 proof. I'll drink that one first, then...:D

I have a bottle of Tapatio Blanco from Mexico. Had it maybe 10 - 15 yrs before you could get it here. Really smooth and the old stuff was made in a very old fashion method.

Yep. It's a very old school brand. It's in my top 5 blancos right off the bat. I like pretty much everything about it...including the price $30-35 for 1L.

In reference to the KAH brands. I like them all. The blanco is minty and smooth. The repo is spicy/hot in taste and feel. The anejo is really well aged with a lot of character. The anejo is probably my favorite, but I'd happily buy them all again.

Tapatio blanco is nearly the same as El Tesoro. Same distillery, same master distiller (Carlos), same agave, same distillation method. The only difference is that El Tesoro uses agave crushed by tahona (the big rolling stone) and for Tapatio the agave is crushed by a modern machine.

One of the highlights of my trip to Tales of the cocktail was a tasting of 9 different Del Mageuy Mezcals. I had previously tried and purchased Tobala, but now my wallet is going to take a beating since in addition to wanting to buy the Pechuga, I'm thinking about picking up 2-3 other of their bottlings.

I'm a complete sucker for anything from Del Maguey - he sources some of the best, most interesting stuff around. I love the stories, the labels and most of all those flavors!

I'm a huge Chichicapa fan. I've not had the Pechuga (you lucky dog, but I hear you snagged some for StraightNoChaser/Winston as well...). That's one on my bucket list, but at $120 a bottle around these parts, it's going to have to wait a bit.

Let me know if you have any problem finding any DMs - Specs here in Texas stocks them all and has some great prices (as does Total Wine).

Tapatio blanco is nearly the same as El Tesoro. Same distillery, same master distiller (Carlos), same agave, same distillation method. The only difference is that El Tesoro uses agave crushed by tahona (the big rolling stone) and for Tapatio the agave is crushed by a modern machine.

I know that they come from the same distiller, but that doesn't mean that they're intended to taste the same. I like both brands, but El Tesoro is much more vegetal. Tapatio is totally crisp and clean. It's pretty much agave, citrus and pepper in a wonderfully smooth and crisp spirit. El Tesoro is grassy and has green olive notes. I'm not sure if the tahona makes that much of a difference, but there is a very distinct difference in the taste of each.

I know that they come from the same distiller, but that doesn't mean that they're intended to taste the same. I like both brands, but El Tesoro is much more vegetal. Tapatio is totally crisp and clean. It's pretty much agave, citrus and pepper in a wonderfully smooth and crisp spirit. El Tesoro is grassy and has green olive notes. I'm not sure if the tahona makes that much of a difference, but there is a very distinct difference in the taste of each.

It's interesting you mention the olive notes, because while I haven't noticed them in ET Platinum so much, I REALLY notice them in the 70th Anniversary and to a lesser degree in the Paradiso.

I find El Tesoro to have more minerale notes then vegetal, but I think the family resemblance with Tapatio is very strong.

It's interesting you mention the olive notes, because while I haven't noticed them in ET Platinum so much, I REALLY notice them in the 70th Anniversary and to a lesser degree in the Paradiso.

I find El Tesoro to have more minerale notes then vegetal, but I think the family resemblance with Tapatio is very strong.

Speaking of which, I just enjoyed a nice little pour of El Tesoro Platinum and am looking hard at my bottle of Muchote Reposado. Come hither, Muchote...:lol:

Doing some reviewing tonight:

Herradura Anejo - Pretty good. Very nice complex anejo. Classic hot Herradura finish.

Reserva de Mexico Reposado - Very good for $20. Basic, but really tasty. Light on the start, complex on the finish.

El Mayor Reposado - Fairly basic. A bit more oak than I like in a repo, but would be a crowd pleaser.

La Certeza Reposado - Strong earthy/grassy blanco notes for a repo. I bet the blanco would be super green. The flavors of blanco and aging seemed to be fighting a bit.

Gran Tulum Reposado - Really solid for $25 at W&L Depot. Nice all around flavor.

I finally got around to diving into some tequila a little more thoroughly, I ended up discovering after much tasting that Anejo seemed to really grab me for a style (type whatever you want to call it )

Had a Casa Nobles Anejo which was fantastic very memorable... http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/2012/05/one-tequila-two-tequila-more.html

I finally got around to diving into some tequila a little more thoroughly, I ended up discovering after much tasting that Anejo seemed to really grab me for a style (type whatever you want to call it )

Had a Casa Nobles Anejo which was fantastic very memorable... http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/2012/05/one-tequila-two-tequila-more.html

Casa Noble anejo is a very nice tequila. Most (including me) tequila drinkers start off liking the aged ones and then work their way back into appreciating the agave a bit more. I still love a good anejo a bit more than a good blanco, but I'm much better at picking out the nuances of the pure agave flavors and where they were grown now than I was when I first started exploring tequila. That's why I start a brand with the reposado. From that I can learn about the base blanco and the flavors that are added with the aging barrels.

In the end, everyone likes what they like and there's no wrong way to enjoy tequila. Enjoy more exploration. You started off with a good one in Casa Noble. Their blanco is one that is loved by many (but not at all by me). Anejos provide the deep and rich flavors that whiskey drinkers love, so I'd say to keep exploring that. Unclebunk will attest that a well done repo like Muchote will get you appreciating reposados as well. :)

Hey guys ---

My mother is coming to visit for awhile, and she's a fan of margaritas. I'm looking for the best value level tequilas to give a whirl.

I don't know much about tequila, other then some of the cheaper stuff isn't 100% pure agave, and that's frowned upon. I'm pretty sure the 'blanco' tequilas are not aged while the golden (anejo?) ones are.

If you guys have any suggestions for under $30, that would be awesome. Closer to $20 would be even better, since it'll chiefly be used for mixed drinks. I saw Tres Agaves mentioned in a previous page, so that will go on the list. In a few days, hopefully I'll go to the Total Wine near me and find some sample sizes, as that's obviously the best way to learn... but any advice would be appreciated!

If you guys have any suggestions for under $30, that would be awesome. Closer to $20 would be even better, since it'll chiefly be used for mixed drinks.

Hey guys ---

My mother is coming to visit for awhile, and she's a fan of margaritas. I'm looking for the best value level tequilas to give a whirl.

I don't know much about tequila, other then some of the cheaper stuff isn't 100% pure agave, and that's frowned upon. I'm pretty sure the 'blanco' tequilas are not aged while the golden (anejo?) ones are.

If you guys have any suggestions for under $30, that would be awesome. Closer to $20 would be even better, since it'll chiefly be used for mixed drinks. I saw Tres Agaves mentioned in a previous page, so that will go on the list. In a few days, hopefully I'll go to the Total Wine near me and find some sample sizes, as that's obviously the best way to learn... but any advice would be appreciated!

The Tequila Tourist is now on Facebook. You can like me and get the reviews that way now as well. I'll also post other tequila related news and whatever else seems to fit those who love agave.

Check your bottles if you drink these.

1800 Tequila bottles voluntarily recalled

Posted by Lisa McTigue Pierce, Editor -- Packaging Digest, 8/15/2012 7:22:09 AM

The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs issued the following news release:

Agavera Camichines, S.A. de C.V. , the brand owner of 1800 Tequila—along with the Michigan Liquor Control Commission (MLCC)—has announced a voluntary U.S. nationwide recall of 1800 Tequila 1.75L Silver, Reposado and Coconut packaging due to potential damage during transportation and handling in some cases to the glass stopper.

Please be aware that 1800 Tequila in all other sizes (50 ml, 200ml, 375ml, 750 ml and 1L) are not impacted. In addition, 1800 Tequila Anejo, Select Silver (100 Proof) and 1800 Ultimate Margarita products are not impacted.

Although it is believed that the percentage of affected bottles is low, to protect the safety of consumers, the brand owner, Agavera Camichines, S.A. de C.V., has made the decision to voluntarily recall the 1800 Tequila 1.75L packaging as a precautionary measure. There have been no reports of consumer injuries, but the presence of small particles of glass in the bottle could pose a health risk.

"We have become aware of this recall and are doing everything we can to make sure these bottles have been taken off the market," says Andy Deloney, chairman of the MLCC. "We are asking that all licensees stop selling this item until a replacement is delivered to you by Great Lakes Wine and Spirits."

Consumers should check to see if they have affected product by comparing the first nine digits of the 13-digit Lot Code on the side of the bottle against the list of impacted product codes.

Consumers who have affected product should not consume it nor should they allow others to consume it. Anyone who has consumed tequila from an affected bottle and becomes ill or shows signs of complications should see a physician immediately.

Consumers with affected product can obtain a refund and more information by calling 866-795-8805 or emailing info@1800tequila.com. Refunds for affected bottles will be offered to consumers 21 years of age or older. To receive a refund, consumers will be asked to provide their date of birth, name, address, phone number and email, as well as the Lot Code which is printed on the bottle. In addition, consumers will be asked where and when they purchased the product as well as how much they purchased it for. Refunds will be issued in approximately two to four weeks.

1800 Tequila, 1.75L size only. The affected bottles include:

• 1800 Tequila Silver 1.75L

• 1800 Tequila Coconut 1.75L

• 1800 Tequila Reposado 1.75L

Read 9 digits on top line to identify product.

TNS cp -120814-JF78-3987488 StaffFurigay

Well boys, I finally had the opportunity to sample some Clase Azul reposado... my goodness it was a juicy delight! Such a long, chewy, fruity finish. The circumstances were odd to say the least - a wedding rehearsal dinner party with bagels and lox and the only thing to drink was cheap sparkling wine and orange juice (who drinks mimosas at night???!!?). Thank goodness my cousin was in the wedding party, because one of the groomsmen's gifts was a handsome bottle of this dear tequila, the likes of which I had never seen in person.

My cousin is not a drinker and quickly put the bottle aside after discovering it in his bag, but I successfully cajoled him into opening it up, at which point my thirsty relatives, also eager for anything other than an evening mimosa came running for a taste. It really reminded me of the CS Redbreast 12yo, honestly, though sweeter and less malty. So deliciously oily. I can easily say I've never had a better tequila. I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the ~$100 for a bottle of my own, but I was definitely very impressed.

Well boys, I finally had the opportunity to sample some Clase Azul reposado... my goodness it was a juicy delight! Such a long, chewy, fruity finish. The circumstances were odd to say the least - a wedding rehearsal dinner party with bagels and lox and the only thing to drink was cheap sparkling wine and orange juice (who drinks mimosas at night???!!?). Thank goodness my cousin was in the wedding party, because one of the groomsmen's gifts was a handsome bottle of this dear tequila, the likes of which I had never seen in person.

My cousin is not a drinker and quickly put the bottle aside after discovering it in his bag, but I successfully cajoled him into opening it up, at which point my thirsty relatives, also eager for anything other than an evening mimosa came running for a taste. It really reminded me of the CS Redbreast 12yo, honestly, though sweeter and less malty. So deliciously oily. I can easily say I've never had a better tequila. I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out the ~$100 for a bottle of my own, but I was definitely very impressed.

It is delicious. Probably overly sweet for some, but is like a wonderfully chewy candy. So much vanilla, caramel and fruit. Only hints of agave/pepper. But when I'm in the mood for it, there's not much else that's better. And of course the bottle is a work of art in itself. It can be found for $70-75 if you look hard. Or for $35 for a 375ML in the duty free if you're in Mexico.

It is delicious. Probably overly sweet for some, but is like a wonderfully chewy candy. So much vanilla, caramel and fruit. Only hints of agave/pepper. But when I'm in the mood for it, there's not much else that's better. And of course the bottle is a work of art in itself. It can be found for $70-75 if you look hard. Or for $35 for a 375ML in the duty free if you're in Mexico.

My wife went nuts on the stuff after tasting some at a party recently. Guess that gives me license to go out and drop the $75 to pick up a bottle, right?:grin:

It's completely a gift for her. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

Stopped at the store after work to get another bottle of El Jimador Anejo. I figured for $17.00, I might as well try the Blanco, too. Not bad. Kind of a citrus note with a nice pepper finish. I'll keep this around for as little as it costs.

Stopped at the store after work to get another bottle of El Jimador Anejo. I figured for $17.00, I might as well try the Blanco, too. Not bad. Kind of a citrus note with a nice pepper finish. I'll keep this around for as little as it costs.

I need to go pick up a bottle of El jimador Blanco too. The anejo is really good for the price. Locally I can get the blanco for $13, which is a steal.

I has some Aha Toro anejo last night. It has a little more oak than I remember, but it's still pretty darn sweet. Definitely a winner for those who like the really sweet anejos.

Haven't had the EJ blanco myself but the reposado and anejo are regulars in the cabinet now. We've found that they are both excellent straight up and yet cheap enough that you don't mind using them as mixers, as they work very well in margaritas without sacrificing the super premium bottles in the cabinet when we want a nice cocktail.

I'm having a pour of Siete Leguas Blanco tonight. I like it a lot, probably my favorite tequila (although admittedly I have a lot more to try!) Great earthy flavors and somewhat more smokey/peppery than others I've had.