Tequila Forum

Max Power

Tasting/Reviewing tonight again. It seems like Thursdays are the right nights for me to do that. So far:

Cava de Oro Blanco - B - A very nice entry level tequila without too much complexity. I'd call it a crowd pleaser because it's pretty smooth and none of the flavors would scare anyone off.

3 Amigos Blanco - B- - It was fairly basic, but had a bit of alcohol on the nose and finish. The nice peppery blanco flavor was there, but it was just a bit harsh. Mellowed in a mixed drink and this will be good for under $20.

Antiguo Blanco - B+ - I've never been a huge fan of Brown-Forman/Herradura tequilas, but this one was really quite good. For $20-25 a bottle, this was interesting from start to finish. An alomost wine/raspberry like nose and flavor in it. Interesting and delicious...combine that with cheap and Max Power is a happy man.

More to come...

I picked up a dos lunas anejo tonight. Will crack it open this weekend to check it out.

I picked up a dos lunas anejo tonight. Will crack it open this weekend to check it out.

Good stuff. I'm doing some reviewing and tasting tonight.

4 Copas Anejo - Superb and $35 at Mission (by far the cheapest)

Fortaleza Blanco - I could drink this for hours and not get tired of it.

That's the start. I probably have 1 or 2 more reviews in me tonight.

I just got back from a wedding in Cabo and picked up a bottle of Trianon Anejo. I tasted about 10 different tequilas in the shop before I decided on that one. I am definately a novice tequila drinker and to me this one was smooth, enjoyable and flavorful. The tequila bug has bitten me.

Has anyone else tried any of the Trianon tequilas?

I just got back from a wedding in Cabo and picked up a bottle of Trianon Anejo. I tasted about 10 different tequilas in the shop before I decided on that one. I am definately a novice tequila drinker and to me this one was smooth, enjoyable and flavorful. The tequila bug has bitten me.

Has anyone else tried any of the Trianon tequilas?

I've never even heard of it...and that should tell you something. Congrats on a good find.

I've never even heard of it...and that should tell you something. Congrats on a good find.

Here is a picture of it. NOM 1500 if that means anything to you. I paid 500 pesos for it. They also had a neat 3 tier bottle that had all 3 types: blanco, reposado and anejo. I really like the anejo best, so I just bought a bottle of it.

7546709422_bb61023473_m.jpg

post-7744-14489818061055_thumb.jpg

post-7744-14489818061625_thumb.jpg

Edited by clindt

It looks like it's only sold in Mexico, so that's always good to bring back something that you can't get here. I've never heard of any of the brands made by NOM 1500 (There's 7 of them). They must not be able to get anything distributed in the US...at least not that I can find. Next time I go to Mexico I'm definitely only buying things that aren't sold in the US. I saw the 3 tier bottle. That looked kind of cool.

It looks like it's only sold in Mexico, so that's always good to bring back something that you can't get here. I've never heard of any of the brands made by NOM 1500 (There's 7 of them). They must not be able to get anything distributed in the US...at least not that I can find. Next time I go to Mexico I'm definitely only buying things that aren't sold in the US. I saw the 3 tier bottle. That looked kind of cool.

Thanks for all of the info you have shared in this thread. I picked up a bottle of Don Julio Reposado that I will sample tonight.

...and the collection grows.

Thanks for all of the info you have shared in this thread. I picked up a bottle of Don Julio Reposado that I will sample tonight.

I did the same yesterday to replace one we finished over the weekend. You won't be disappointed, that's for sure. Great stuff!

I really like the Don Julio line overall. The reposado is probably my favorite of the bunch (maybe not over the 1942). I'm always happy to share tequila insights with fellow agave lovers. If you have any questions about anything or want to know the best/cheapest place I know to get a brand online, I'm happy to help.

I really like the Don Julio line overall. The reposado is probably my favorite of the bunch (maybe not over the 1942). I'm always happy to share tequila insights with fellow agave lovers. If you have any questions about anything or want to know the best/cheapest place I know to get a brand online, I'm happy to help.

I've really appreciated all your reviews and have been very pleased with my purchases based upon your recommendations (Corrido, Dos Lunas, Muchote, JLP, etc.). About the only one I wasn't knocked out by was the Don Fernando Reposado. I can't put my finger on it but to me it has a "sharp" flavor that prevents me from giving it an enthusiastic thumbs up. My friends had a similar reaction, greatly preferring the Muchote Reposado to the DFR. But hey, for $20 (reduced from $40) it's not a bad deal at all.

I've really appreciated all your reviews and have been very pleased with my purchases based upon your recommendations (Corrido, Dos Lunas, Muchote, JLP, etc.). About the only one I wasn't knocked out by was the Don Fernando Reposado. I can't put my finger on it but to me it has a "sharp" flavor that prevents me from giving it an enthusiastic thumbs up. My friends had a similar reaction, greatly preferring the Muchote Reposado to the DFR. But hey, for $20 (reduced from $40) it's not a bad deal at all.

DFR has a bit of a different flavor profile than the rest of those. It does have a bit more of an oak flavor instead of the sweeter flavors from the used bourbon barrels, which are used in all of the other ones that I recommended. Corrido is double barrel aged. DFR also has a few flavors that are common in profiles of lower land tequilas with a few more earthy/grassy flavors. However, the aging still gives it the sweet/citrus profile too. It's not as a sweet or smooth, but I still like it a lot. Try a Meloza blanco or even the more commonly available Casa Noble or El Tesora blancos. Those will almost taste like you're getting a salad bar with all of the vegetal flavors, but I know plenty of people who love them.

It looks like you've discovered that reposados/anejos aged in bourbon barrels hit your sweet spot. If I recall, you had Fortaleza blanco as well, which may as well be in its own class because it's so damn good. Keep asking and I'll keep giving you good ones...especially now that I know your preferences.

Ditto on the appreciation of your advice, Max. I'm a Tequila lover now, thanks to you! :rolleyes:...lol.

DFR has a bit of a different flavor profile than the rest of those. It does have a bit more of an oak flavor instead of the sweeter flavors from the used bourbon barrels, which are used in all of the other ones that I recommended. Corrido is double barrel aged. DFR also has a few flavors that are common in profiles of lower land tequilas with a few more earthy/grassy flavors. However, the aging still gives it the sweet/citrus profile too. It's not as a sweet or smooth, but I still like it a lot. Try a Meloza blanco or even the more commonly available Casa Noble or El Tesora blancos. Those will almost taste like you're getting a salad bar with all of the vegetal flavors, but I know plenty of people who love them.

It looks like you've discovered that reposados/anejos aged in bourbon barrels hit your sweet spot. If I recall, you had Fortaleza blanco as well, which may as well be in its own class because it's so damn good. Keep asking and I'll keep giving you good ones...especially now that I know your preferences.

While I loved all the bourbon-barreled tequilas that you recommended, I don't think that the bourbon influence was the factor that made me appreciate them. They were just fine full-flavored tequilas that I happened to enjoy. I'm actually on a blanco kick and find that I like them as well as any reposados and anejos that I've tried. I happen to be among those who absolutely love the entire El Tesoro line, especially the Platinum and Reposado, so earthy/grassy/vegetal qualities don't put me off at all. In fact, I sometimes prefer blancos because of the fact that barrel-aging hasn't tampered with the agave flavor/aroma and you get to enjoy unadulterated agave in its purest form. I think the Don Fernando just struck me funny and will require additional samplings to fully appreciate what it has to offer. (My brother's non-technical complaint was that it had a "wang" that he didn't like, whatever a "wang" is, though I knew what he was trying to say.) Moving on, I finally opened the JLP Reposado last night and loved it. That stuff gives Muchote a good run for its money and will be a crowd pleaser for sure.

I also generally prefer blancos, but my favorite anejos use French oak, which is interesting given my love of bourbon.

Had some new ones last night and some old favorites:

New - Pepe Zevada blanco & reposado. The blanco was spicy and wonderful. Subtle nuances that complimented the fresh agave flavors. The repo was good, but not as good as the blanco. I love repos, so I was slightly disappointed, but it's still a very good deal under $30. The blanco around $26-28 is a steal. I'd recommend checking it out if you like a big agave flavor.

Old - Don Pilar Anejo. Just a really rich and smooth flavor without losing the agave character. I need to go back to that one more often. Also Cavalino reposado. It's a $22 bottle, but is fruity, sweet and has that little bit of bite from agave that I love about reposados. For the price, it's a real gem.

My wife also got some sticky goop off of her computer cord using Tres Mujeres Reposado is place of rubbing alcohol and it worked well. That's about all I can see it being used for.

Thursday night and I'm doing some reviewing...

Herradura Blanco

Corralejo Blanco

7 Leguas Blanco

I've had them all before, but never put pen to paper to write about them. It's a good little line up so far.

July 24 was National Tequila Day. Did anyone else celebrate it properly. Tonight was just a nice sampling while watching the Twins and then White Collar:

T1 Blanco

T1 Reposado

Tequileno Reposado

Tezon Reposado

Azunia Anejo

Quality night.

July 24 was National Tequila Day. Did anyone else celebrate it properly. Tonight was just a nice sampling while watching the Twins and then White Collar:

T1 Blanco

T1 Reposado

Tequileno Reposado

Tezon Reposado

Azunia Anejo

Quality night.

I enjoyed some Tequila Ocho 2008 Blanco and a Tres Agave Blanco. Along with these and some 10/107 I am running in slow gear this morning.

For under $30, I really like the Tres Agaves. I didn't care for the 2011 Los Mangos blanco of Tequila Ocho, but that doesn't mean that the 2008 isn't awesome.

I only do things in around a .5 ounce quantity so I'm at full speed. I got a new phone last night so I was focused on getting that set up instead of celebrating to the fullest. :D

T1 Blanco

T1 Reposado

Tequileno Reposado

Tezon Reposado

Azunia Anejo

Quality night.

Yes, sir!

We started with some Milagro Blanco, then went with Don Julio Blanco, El Jimador Repo, Cazadores Repo, and Don Julio Repo. We finished with El Jimador Anejo and Herradura Anejo. I honestly like the El Jimador Anejo better.... and it's cheaper.

Yes, sir!

We started with some Milagro Blanco, then went with Don Julio Blanco, El Jimador Repo, Cazadores Repo, and Don Julio Repo. We finished with El Jimador Anejo and Herradura Anejo. I honestly like the El Jimador Anejo better.... and it's cheaper.

My wife and I put a good knock on a bottle of Fortaleza Blanco after a fine Mexican dinner. That stuff truly is superb. I'm saving my pennies for their reposado which will be nice to try someday.

I just tried the US Tapatio Blanco. It's worth the hype. The stuff is great.

One of the highlights of my trip to Tales of the cocktail was a tasting of 9 different Del Mageuy Mezcals. I had previously tried and purchased Tobala, but now my wallet is going to take a beating since in addition to wanting to buy the Pechuga, I'm thinking about picking up 2-3 other of their bottlings.