Tequila Forum

Max Power

Ah, you missed my joke. I was poking fun at your "$0 and under" typo, so I was asking for some "negative fifty dollar" tequilas. These are all much more than that!

But this is great info that I'm sure will be helpful to others. :drinking:

The local liquor store did a tequila 101 class, and did some sampling. I'm worried, this spirit could become another expensive hobby.

Here is what we sampled. I encourage you to give your thoughts on the selections.

In order:

Tierra Fertil Blanco

Fina Estampa Blanco

Don Cosme Reposado

Aha Toro Reposado

El Amo Anejo

Ley 925 Anejo

Campo Azul Extra Anejo

My thoughts as a tequila noob:

I'm not so excited about blancos in general. The grassy/pepper notes are interesting, but I think I'd get bored quickly. I like the wood influence of the aged ones. Of the two blancos, I thought the Fina Estampa was the better.

The Don Cosme was interesting, but I liked the Aha Toro better. It is one I could see buying to drink.

I was not at all impressed with the El Amo. I thought it was boring. No negatives, just lacking character. The Ley 925 was my favorite of the night. Really flavorful, lots of character.

I liked the Campo Azul a lot. He said this is limited to 5000 bottles. Any truth to this? Seems like a steal at the ~$35 they had it priced at. Might be worth bunkering a couple of these. Very smooth. The tequila I would choose to introduce new tequila drinkers to.

Also: He said Kah is disappearing from the market again. It could just be his store/distributor. Any truth to this rumor?

I still haven't been able to find Fina Estampa anywhere but have my hands full with the little stockpile I've accumulated in the last month or so. Last night I went with the anejos, Dos Lunas and Corrido. The DLA is mighty fine and I really wish I had picked up a second bottle before it suddenly disappeared. The Corrido Anejo though is a real step up and loaded with character, so much so that I'm sure I'll blow through this bottle quickly and have to get another. It's worth every penny of the $40 that I paid for it.

The local liquor store did a tequila 101 class, and did some sampling. I'm worried, this spirit could become another expensive hobby.

Here is what we sampled. I encourage you to give your thoughts on the selections.

In order:

Tierra Fertil Blanco

Fina Estampa Blanco

Don Cosme Reposado

Aha Toro Reposado

El Amo Anejo

Ley 925 Anejo

Campo Azul Extra Anejo

My thoughts as a tequila noob:

I'm not so excited about blancos in general. The grassy/pepper notes are interesting, but I think I'd get bored quickly. I like the wood influence of the aged ones. Of the two blancos, I thought the Fina Estampa was the better.

The Don Cosme was interesting, but I liked the Aha Toro better. It is one I could see buying to drink.

I was not at all impressed with the El Amo. I thought it was boring. No negatives, just lacking character. The Ley 925 was my favorite of the night. Really flavorful, lots of character.

I liked the Campo Azul a lot. He said this is limited to 5000 bottles. Any truth to this? Seems like a steal at the ~$35 they had it priced at. Might be worth bunkering a couple of these. Very smooth. The tequila I would choose to introduce new tequila drinkers to.

Also: He said Kah is disappearing from the market again. It could just be his store/distributor. Any truth to this rumor?

Fina Estampa has a very good blanco. The rest of the line tastes similar. They have a great base tequila, but really miss with the aging. I've never had Tierra Fertil.

Don Cosme is really cheap and pretty basic. But for $20 and under, it's a decent buy. Aha Toro is a gem, although I have not tasted it since it changed distilleries. I've heard there's a difference. As a newbie, I'm sure you didn't look for the NOM on the bottle. I hope the new is as good as the old. Aha Toro also has some great bottles. The reposado is my favorite of that line, so you had a good one there.

El Amo is very basic. Again, it's a budget tequila. It's what some on here might call an "everyday" pour as it has all of the basics of what you would want in tequila and is well priced, but maybe lacks the little extra to make it special.

Ley 925 is a gem. It has a ton of fruit flavors, some nice spice and a wonderful finish. The extra anejo is one of the better ones out there and is only $60 instead of the $200+ price tag you see on a lot of extra anejos.

Campo Azul is not a good brand. I've never had the extra anejo and I like many other tequilas from the distillery. Most of their tequilas are really "hot" and not pleasant at all. It makes a decent mixed (reposado). I'd give the XA a shot, but I'm not in a hurry to try much more from the brand after having the blanco and reposado.

All in all, that's a really good sampler from a local store. I wish ours would have selection that good and different.

I still haven't been able to find Fina Estampa anywhere but have my hands full with the little stockpile I've accumulated in the last month or so. Last night I went with the anejos, Dos Lunas and Corrido. The DLA is mighty fine and I really wish I had picked up a second bottle before it suddenly disappeared. The Corrido Anejo though is a real step up and loaded with character, so much so that I'm sure I'll blow through this bottle quickly and have to get another. It's worth every penny of the $40 that I paid for it.

I picked up a Tequila Ocho Reposado and an El Jimador Anejo today.

I'm starting to warm up to the Blancos. I'm going to try the Alien Blanco next.

I picked up a Tequila Ocho Reposado and an El Jimador Anejo today.

I'm starting to warm up to the Blancos. I'm going to try the Alien Blanco next.

Which vintage of the Ocho did you get? Also, I think you'll like the El Jimador Anejo. Big time bourbon influence in that one. Hi Time has the best prices I've seen on Alien...just if you haven't done a ton of searching on your own. Enjoy!

1. Corrido (Anejo - $40, Repo - $35) - Maybe my favorite tequila for the money. Just great stuff.

I picked up the Anejo based on this recommendation. Had a quick sip and it's very nice. I can pick out some bourbon like character from the barreling. It lacks the freshness I really enjoyed in the Penca Azul though. Maybe I am a repo man! I'm going to dig into the bottle some more tonight.

I picked up the Anejo based on this recommendation. Had a quick sip and it's very nice. I can pick out some bourbon like character from the barreling. It lacks the freshness I really enjoyed in the Penca Azul though. Maybe I am a repo man! I'm going to dig into the bottle some more tonight.

Which vintage of the Ocho did you get? Also, I think you'll like the El Jimador Anejo. Big time bourbon influence in that one. Hi Time has the best prices I've seen on Alien...just if you haven't done a ton of searching on your own. Enjoy!

The Ocho is the 2009 vintage. I haven't tried it yet. You were right, I do like the El Jimador. I think I'm probably a Reposado/Anejo guy. I like the Blancos, but I think I like the barrel influenced spirit over the straight from the still spirit...... so far.:cool:

The Ocho is the 2009 vintage. I haven't tried it yet. You were right, I do like the El Jimador. I think I'm probably a Reposado/Anejo guy. I like the Blancos, but I think I like the barrel influenced spirit over the straight from the still spirit...... so far.:cool:

When you get all 3/4 ages of a brand, it's fun to taste forward and backward. You get the base flavor and then see what the barrels add along the way. It's often interesting how different the repo and anejo can taste based on the length in the barrels.

If you need any other help, you know where to find me.

I opened the bottle of Ocho Repo today. I'm on the fence with this one. It has a liquorice/anise taste to it. Kind of medicinal. It's not bad..... just different, and not what I expected.

I opened the bottle of Ocho Repo today. I'm on the fence with this one. It has a liquorice/anise taste to it. Kind of medicinal. It's not bad..... just different, and not what I expected.

I've been following this thread and have failed to see my favorite tequila mentioned: Señor Frogs Plata. At about $25 and change, it's hard to beat and I have had ALL the premiums I could find in my 64+ yrs. try it, I think you'll like it!

Fred

Bragging about success! Two tequila companies have offered to send me stuff for free. I'm like a homeless man's Tequila Cowdery.

Drinking for free is awesome.

Sipping' some 5 yo Casa Noble extra anejo. It's a single barrel selection from TPS. Incredibly rich, agave flavors with just a suggestion of oak. Great green vegetable flavor on the finish. The mouth feel on this one is incredible!

Sipping' some 5 yo Casa Noble extra anejo. It's a single barrel selection from TPS. Incredibly rich, agave flavors with just a suggestion of oak. Great green vegetable flavor on the finish. The mouth feel on this one is incredible!

Yeah. I like Casa Noble's aging, but I'm not a big fan of the heavy vegetal taste. I know so many people that love the blanco and I can't drink it.

I tried the whole line of El Conquistador yesterday. The blanco was citrusy and fantastic. The repo was buttery and had all of the characteristics that I want in a good repo. The anejo was good, but lacked any stand out qualities. Overall, it was a very good line of tequilas with the blanco probably being my favorite.

Yeah. I like Casa Noble's aging, but I'm not a big fan of the heavy vegetal taste. I know so many people that love the blanco and I can't drink it.

I find some of the original CN blancos to be outstanding (like the ones with Vamonos Rapido as the importer on the label). Later on, around 2006 I believe, they changed their process a bit and "refined" the blanco. I don't like it nearly as much now. The old one was much more potent and up-front with minerale flavors. I still have a few bunkered.

Picked up a bottle of Hacienda Vieja Reposado tonight. 100% Agave, $21.99, so far it's pretty good, very smooth and has a good amount of flavor for a $20 repo.

And yet another on-line order of Fortaleza Blanco (x2) and Muchote (x2). Can't beat those babies with an ice cold Bohemia on a hot summer evening!

Picked up a bottle of Hacienda Vieja Reposado tonight. 100% Agave, $21.99, so far it's pretty good, very smooth and has a good amount of flavor for a $20 repo.

I'd never had it before and saw it in a store here for $18. I bought it.

I also got my first shipment of free tequila from Uno Dos Tres. The Blanco is probably the weakest because it's a little thin and lacks the agave punch. It smells wonderful, but doesn't follow up with the great taste. It was good, not great. The reposado was the best. It kept the good aspects of the blanco, but a nice smooth and spicy finish too. The anejo is full of woody flavors and a rich caramel tone as well. It's fairly tasty and has no burn/sizzle at all. Overall the line is good. The blanco and anejo are probably a B-/B. The Reposado is a B+. Good stuff, but maybe not the best value in the $40-50 range.

I'd never had it before and saw it in a store here for $18. I bought it.

I also got my first shipment of free tequila from Uno Dos Tres. The Blanco is probably the weakest because it's a little thin and lacks the agave punch. It smells wonderful, but doesn't follow up with the great taste. It was good, not great. The reposado was the best. It kept the good aspects of the blanco, but a nice smooth and spicy finish too. The anejo is full of woody flavors and a rich caramel tone as well. It's fairly tasty and has no burn/sizzle at all. Overall the line is good. The blanco and anejo are probably a B-/B. The Reposado is a B+. Good stuff, but maybe not the best value in the $40-50 range.

Drinking and reviewing tonight. Pura Vida Blanco and Reposado. Also, Tequila 123 all ages. I might try some more from there, but 5 is generally my limit before my palate suffers. I very well may keep drinking, but the reviewing will be done. I'll recommend the entire Pura Vida line and also the Dos from Tequila 123. Pura Vida blanco has a nice smooth agave/vegetal/spice/mint thing going for it that is very unique. The aged ones build nicely on that base and add vanilla, cinnamon and oak. All very good.