What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

I just noticed that this thread just passed its 10th year!  It’s this thread, and the SB.Com cookouts in Bardstown, that got me interested and started in smoking meats.  One of the more enjoyable hobbies I’ve ever immersed myself in.  Such a great complement to whiskey.  I’m going to go pour myself a Buffalo Trace, and toast to 10 good years of information, and to another 10 years more!

BTW, the gentleman who started this thread, Cigarnv, is one of the nicest and smartest guys you’ll meet.  Knows a ton about bourbon, and spirits in general.  Has also been known to pick a pretty good barrel of bourbon a time or two…😁

• I like it 2

Beef ribs on the 4th, on WSM22, with Hasselback potatoes on Weber kettle w/SnS.

985DADC7-1A71-4C13-B5BE-19DF0846416C.thumb.jpeg.bd0f347a8682e12163051e84f5cfa929.jpeg

Those potatoes look glorious!!  🙌

• I like it 1

This weekend I busted apart a small barrel that a friend gave me that he had aged 4 different batches of Manhattan in. It was still pretty wet and smelled soooo good. I cut the staves and heads up for smoking wood and smoked a chuck roast. I ran it about 235 degrees. It stalled about 155 and I put it in a pan with some broth and onions and covered it, turned the heat up to about 275. It got to 205 and I opened it up to set the bark again but the meat temp fell back down to about 187. It tasted really good but was a little tough. I should have just wrapped it..and let it sit at 200+ a bit longer. I'm gonna bake the leftovers wrapped in foil to get it back up in temp for an hour or so to see how it does. More barrel wood smoke experiments to follow.20220710_161118.thumb.jpg.b6ca93ed4f79f877f5253266d94ad764.jpg

20220710_102827.jpg

20220710_103110.jpg

20220710_104412.jpg

20220710_111623.jpg

• I like it 2

So I typically by a brisket flat at Costco (7-9 Lbs) for smoking.  The other day I was in Costco and a 19-20 lb whole Brisket was about $60 which was the same price as a flat.  So I decided to jump in and do a whole Brisket (my first).  Since I have never trimmed out a whole brisket, I watched a Meat Church episode on Youtube to see how its is done.

So I used a light rub of Black and Tan Rub but since it can be very salty, I went light on that and then added some Sweet and Smokey rub on top.  I put it  on on Friday night at 7 pm at 200 degrees.  At 8 am that next morning, I turned my smoker up to 250 and the brisket reached 205 by 2 pm that afternoon.  I let it rest for about  2hours then sliced it.  Turned out really good.

IMG_2233.thumb.jpeg.3fb8afaaa20626692124347cc6c84404.jpeg

• I like it 7

Smoked, then seared a couple NY Strips again. Getting spoiled where I don't like any restaurant steak any more.

20220718_200621.jpg

20220718_201130.jpg

• I like it 5

6 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Smoked, then seared a couple NY Strips again. Getting spoiled where I don't like any restaurant steak any more.

20220718_200621.jpg

20220718_201130.jpg

I used to order a nice steak when we eat at a fancy restaurant, but then I figured out that I can make them just as good so I switched to seafood entries or prime rib if I want beef. 

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

I used to order a nice steak when we eat at a fancy restaurant, but then I figured out that I can make them just as good so I switched to seafood entries or prime rib if I want beef. 

Same here re: skipping steaks and going for seafood or prime rib, not in that order of course.😉  Wash DC has some really good steak houses, and I've found that they ALL have a limited but EXCELLENTLY prepared seafood choice or two.

Smoker/kettle was busy this past week as a grill mostly with some red snapper fillets (trying out a new fish spatula), grilled veggies for "veggie night", 1/4 lb.  (each!) smoky sausage (to make up for veggie night), some bison burgers, and a 1.5 inch thick bone-in ribeye.  Wife knows how I like to gnaw on beef rib bones.

Did a two-rib standing roast a couple weeks ago, but I'll still order prime rib in some restaurants even though I can do one myself.  No cleanup afterwards.

BTW, this thread has some nice ideas.  Those potatoes, for example, . . .

• I like it 2

On 7/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, StarSurfer55 said:

So I typically by a brisket flat at Costco (7-9 Lbs) for smoking.  The other day I was in Costco and a 19-20 lb whole Brisket was about $60 which was the same price as a flat.  So I decided to jump in and do a whole Brisket (my first).  Since I have never trimmed out a whole brisket, I watched a Meat Church episode on Youtube to see how its is done.

So I used a light rub of Black and Tan Rub but since it can be very salty, I went light on that and then added some Sweet and Smokey rub on top.  I put it  on on Friday night at 7 pm at 200 degrees.  At 8 am that next morning, I turned my smoker up to 250 and the brisket reached 205 by 2 pm that afternoon.  I let it rest for about  2hours then sliced it.  Turned out really good.

IMG_2233.thumb.jpeg.3fb8afaaa20626692124347cc6c84404.jpeg

I’ve never quite understood that dynamic at Costco, and I always buy the full brisket. For what it’s worth my dad often cuts the point off and trims up a bunch of the fat and cooks it separate from the flat. Sometimes even freeze one or the other to use later. Way better bang for your Buck than buying the flat there. 

Smoked a meatloaf, some pork chops, and some potatoes and Brussel sprouts. Have some lunches and dinners for the week.

Had a couple Founder's while waiting inside in the ac during cooking.

20220724_164203.jpg

20220724_170814.jpg

20220724_165227.jpg

20220724_164732.jpg

• I like it 3

On 7/19/2022 at 9:53 AM, Special Reserve said:

Same here.

It's been so long since I've ordered steak out, that I can't remember when that was.

My rule of thumb, when dining out, is to order something that I don't make at home.

• I like it 2

Made some more chicken legs and also tried my very first tri-tip.

I got it a little too done. I didn't have patience to wait for a super hot sear temp so I tried searing at a lower temp which meant it took too long at the end. It definitely has a different texture than most steaks. Almost brisket like.

Some Yeungling for the cook.

20220731_143641.jpg

20220731_162609.jpg

20220731_124954.jpg

• I like it 3

Another weekend, another bbq adventure. Made a couple spatchcocked chickens with corn on the cob, asparagus, and mashed taters. Since the grill was already heated up I used it to bake a peach and blueberry crumble. WSR barrel aged Old Fashioned for the cook. 

20220807_161229.jpg

20220807_180350.jpg

20220807_180524.jpg

• I like it 5

Did another whole brisket. Put it on the pellet smoker at 6pm at 225. At 6 am I wrapped it and increased the temp to 250. It hit 205 at 1pm.  It turned out perfect. Lunches for this week. 

C0E88818-6818-4F98-870E-8D0CFFE45B13.jpeg

• I like it 6

• 3 weeks later...

Put on a 7.5 lb. pork butt this morning.  Took a total of about 9.5 hours at 250. It stalled and I wrapped at 165 after about 7 hours. Bark wasn't quite what I wanted. I had it fat down for about 4 hours and decided to flip it. That disturbed some of the fat and bark and the melting fat (now on top) washed some more off as well. I should have just let it be.

I rested the butt about an hour and shredded it up. Bone pulled clean. No after pics. 🤷‍♂️

I threw some pork steaks on in the afternoon so we at least had some BBQ for dinner. 

20220904_113121.jpg

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I post too much in this thread!

After a truly horrible last couple of days, I was home early this afternoon and made a nice dinner for Mrs. Clueby and I. We needed some relatively quiet time to just sit and have dinner and a drink.

Smoked a couple NY Strips for an hour or so at 225 and then seared them off st 700. Served with some "home fries" and a kale and greens salad. Had some home made chocolate chip banana bread that I made over the weekend and a pour of Blanton's Gold for dessert.

20220914_182151.jpg

20220914_184638.jpg

20220914_185709.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 3

3 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I feel like I post too much in this thread!

After a truly horrible last couple of days, I was home early this afternoon and made a nice dinner for Mrs. Clueby and I. We needed some relatively quiet time to just sit and have dinner and a drink.

Smoked a couple NY Strips for an hour or so at 225 and then seared them off st 700. Served with some "home fries" and a kale and greens salad. Had some home made chocolate chip banana bread that I made over the weekend and a pour of Blanton's Gold for dessert.

Sigh………. 😞

Biba! Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Leg of a deer. Pickled in salt for 4 weeks, now off in the smokers. Three days over hickory chunks. 

IMG_20220923_191658587.jpg

• I like it 6

BB Ribs 2:2:1 method. Came out to wrap and noticed the lobo fire. You can see smoke in upper right hand of photo. Had a nice air show as they worked to knock down the 6 acre fire. It was about 3 miles away, less than 60 minutes and pics with my phone suck. 
Air Tanker 105 (MD87) putting down the phos and LA County’s Chinook hosing her down. 

9A0E3D8C-AD13-4F57-A360-52B4DA363326.jpeg

A33A99B2-5C61-4EBC-87FF-250174180738.jpeg

E88912C0-C3C1-4A2E-BB0E-E34897497B2A.jpeg

Edited by MM818
  • I like it 2

5 hours ago, Sven Heuchert said:

Leg of a deer. Pickled in salt for 4 weeks, now off in the smokers. Three days over hickory chunks. 

Leg of a deer….A friggin’ leg of a deer?!?!

I was going to post that I was going to smoke a bone-in Turkey breast, but your post made me put my head down and meander back to my little smoker corner…🤣.  

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I was going to post that I was going to smoke a bone-in Turkey breast, but your post made me put my head down and meander back to my little smoker corner…🤣.  

Ha! I was just getting ready to post that everything about this smoked leg of deer was amazing.

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Haha, I have to say it is the leg of a small deer. Hunt was pretty good during the first week of the rutting season and I got two decent bucks. Around here they are somehwat smaller than the usual whitetail in the States I guess, so this leg is around 2.5 kg. This is the first time I did a whole leg with bones, I injected a salt solution into the tissue around the bone with a needle because of mold. Hopefully everything turns out well. I keep you updated! :D 

Edited by Sven Heuchert

11 hours ago, Sven Heuchert said:

Haha, I have to say it is the leg of a small deer. Hunt was pretty good during the first week of the rutting season and I got two decent bucks. Around here they are somehwat smaller than the usual whitetail in the States I guess, so this leg is around 2.5 kg. This is the first time I did a whole leg with bones, I injected a salt solution into the tissue around the bone with a needle because of mold. Hopefully everything turns out well. I keep you updated! :D 

I’m waiting on your next boar.   🐗 

Biba! Joe

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 12:15 PM, Sven Heuchert said:

So I need a follow-up on this one...