What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

Just thought I would throw in here when in KY and you're looking for Barrel char Barton's has it. They also have bung plugs I picked up both for a friend of mine and he says the plugs smoke better as you have to soak them in water first. He uses both together. He gave me some pulled pork he did with it but I haven't tried it yet.

Edited by p_elliott

Just thought I would throw in here when in KY and you're looking for Barrel char Barton's has it. They also have bung plugs I picked up both for a friend of mine and he says the plugs smoke better as you have to soak them in water first. He uses both together. He gave me some pulled pork he did with it but I haven't tried it yet.

A buddy hooked me up with both as well. Haven't used them yet.

Thanks for the tip -- gonna have to try to pick some up!

Got the ribs going on the weber at around 10 (little behind schedule, but should work out).

Rigged my own "smokenator" with an old pizza pan and brownie pan, we'll see how it works. Happy 4th!

post-8877-14489819366884_thumb.jpg

post-8877-14489819367482_thumb.jpg

Are the bungs at bartons used, and thus bourbon infused? I didn't pick one up, but I didn't remember them being from used barrels.

Are the bungs at bartons used, and thus bourbon infused? I didn't pick one up, but I didn't remember them being from used barrels.

Thanks. I'll pick up a handful next time through.

Back on the 4th some Cuban marinated spatchcocked chickens and fresh Polish sausage from a local butcher came off the WSM (Apple wood) and made for some mighty fine eating. The pan of potatoes and onions soaking up the juice underneath the smoking birds didn't make the pic.

post-3665-1448981937002_thumb.jpg

I just took my third-ever beef brisket off of the Big Green Egg a half hour ago. I'm still working on stabilizing temps overnight; I had to restart the fire this morning after letting it get all the way down to 140 degrees on the grill level overnight. So many competing schools of thought out there on how best to do these smokes of over half a day....

Just picked this Smoke Vault used earlier today, 5 month old, with cover and propane tank for $175. I'm very excited and threw some beef ribs and chicken to smoke, preped last night.

24" is quite big and loving it so far.

y4u6upyb.jpg

ebute9y9.jpg

Cheers

Hugh

Worked wonderfully.

Chicken stopped at 165F and was perfect. So juicy and tender.

Beef ribs, couldn't wait so took half out at 4hr which is early but still great. See picture of smoke ring.

The other half leaving it in for another 1-1.5 hr.

The smoke vault and the wireless thermometer worked great. The thermometer on the vault actually was quite accurate.

6uga9aja.jpg

Cheers

Hugh

Damn that all looks great! Got some rubbed ribs in the fridge right now for smoking tomorrow. A weekend without rain woohoo!

I'm feeling brisketed out -- I've done four in the past six weeks. So this weekend I'll be doing my first boneless pork shoulder. (I know, I know -- should've gone bone-in. Costco gave me no choice!) I've got high hopes for it!

Absolutely crushed a bone-in turkey breast last weekend on the WSM. Tender enough, you could cut it with a dull plastic knife. Going to try a whole turkey in the coming weeks, and if as successful, I'm sending the PITA deep-fryer on an overdue hiatus this Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong, the turkey was always great out of the fryer, but set up and clean up was a major chore.

Today it was baby back ribs and brisket. The ribs were hard to cut because they fell off of the bone so easily. I was really pleased. The slab on the brisket was tender, but the wet brisket was super moist and smokey. I wished that I had some Brimstone to go with this! That was poor planning on my part.

My boneless pork shoulder proved to be highly forgiving. The grill-level temp in the BGE was around 270 degrees for most of the cook, and it still came out crazy tender and moist. Wish the packaging had been better labelled -- it turns out there were two separate hunks of meat in the package from Costco, which cut the cook time down significantly. Nothing like pulling the Bear Claws out at 4 am to shred up six pounds of meat....

• 2 weeks later...

More grilled than smoked but we had friends from Gurnee, IL in over the weekend. They are natives from Mexico. They grilled a traditional Mexican feast and it kicked a...

We had tacos with a cut of meat that I never had. It is called arrechara. Very similar to skirt steak but much more tender. It is grilled with spices and lime. Awesome! You eat it with a tortilla and add pico de gallo with Serrano peppers (much spicier than jalapenos). Probably not best with bourbon but awesome! You add Spanish rice, huge grilled green onions and grilled corn on the cob. You eat and then sleep. Some meals are better without bourbon. I waited until today to drink bourbon.

• 2 weeks later...

Bunch of chicken for the week and some bone-in pork chops marinating in Cocoa Loco, Robert the Bruce, and other crap.

Did a flat brisket Saturday and had some friends over for a whiskey tasting. Both went over well.

This past weekend we did 3 racks of baby backs and 2 spatchcock chickens. All came out wonderfully.

Night of fitful sleep ahead -- I have a 7-pound pork butt and a 9-pound beef brisket going on the BGE at 230 degrees. If she runs hot and goes over 260 or peters out and drops below 200, the remote is gonna trigger an alarm....